Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Come on David Millar! Hope we see him in red in his last Grand Tour. Thanks for providing the excitement in road-racing before the days of Wiggins, Froome, Sky etc took us to these heady days. Hope we see him in punditry.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Come on David Millar! Hope we see him in red in his last Grand Tour. Thanks for providing the excitement in road-racing before the days of Wiggins, Froome, Sky etc took us to these heady days. Hope we see him in punditry.

We will, he has already been on, alongside Ned.

I second your emotion.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oi !! I spent too much time driving you all over the place in pursuit of your football career. And then there was the cricket.

Eventually I came to read the signs. What does a goalkeeper have in common with a wicket keeper? That's right ... an aversion to running around. It never crossed my mind that there was a potential triathlete lazing around on that sofa.

:)
Ha! Busted!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Oi !! I spent too much time driving you all over the place in pursuit of your football career. And then there was the cricket.

Eventually I came to read the signs. What does a goalkeeper have in common with a wicket keeper? That's right ... an aversion to running around. It never crossed my mind that there was a potential triathlete lazing around on that sofa.

:)

Hey! It's not my fault you can't spot talent when it's right in front of you! I did that "biathlon" (as it was then) swim-run in Ringmer, so there were signs of multi-sport ability (or at least desire) from a young age. I could've been a contender; granted, in a sport nobody else had heard of, but a contender nonetheless....

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hey! It's not my fault you can't spot talent when it's right in front of you! I did that "biathlon" (as it was then) swim-run in Ringmer, so there were signs of multi-sport ability (or at least desire) from a young age. I could've been a contender; granted, in a sport nobody else had heard of, but a contender nonetheless....

Ooo, keep going. Give it to him with both barrels.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fancy a ride two weeks from this Saturday? Or is football training back in full swing?

Yes, the 6th of September. Perhaps a few of the Strava group could stretch our legs.

If the weather and my right knee (I'm hoping it's just a reaction to a week off) agreed, I'm in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 things chaps.

My knee really didn't enjoy the game today.
Very tender around the knee cap, painful to walk, although movement does take the edge off, a little.

So what do I need to do tonight to get out on the bike tomorrow?

FFS we don't have much time.
I caught my mate Colin while leaving for the game.
Now Colin, every Sunday, always rides out 8am heading north.
Excellent I thinks, I can piggy back and just turn for home sooner.

"Col what time are you riding tomorrow"
"I'm leaving at 6:45, for a couple of hours, are you coming?"
"Yeah alright".

Up at 6am on a Sunday morning, with a gammy knee, what the fook is wrong with me?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
2 things chaps.

Very tender around the knee cap, painful to walk, although movement does take the edge off, a little.

"Yeah alright".

Up at 6am on a Sunday morning, with a gammy knee, what the fook is wrong with me?

You're a cycling geek.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
2 things chaps.

"Yeah alright".

Strap it up and man up. :D:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Today I finally caught up and overtook my mileage for this time last year. What with rain, ribs and gonads to get over its been a long chase.

Did, for me, a flat ride and struggled late on. It was hard work with no down hill resting along the way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Vuelta has crept up on me. I'd forgotten it had even started as I've taken my eye off things lately.

So Contador makes the start, but whether he's fit enough to challenge or not is another matter.

Froome there too, but again, same thing, and Sky were poor in the TTT today.

Hard to see past a walk in the park for Quintana really. Not that it means anything, but Movistar already got one stage win in the bag today.

I've not got into this years Vuelta at all yet so I'll be learning as I go along with this one.

Sprint stage tomorrow and it seems it's likely to be the Nacer Bouhanni show. Real lack of top quality sprinters to challenge him. Route goes along the coast, and whilst it looks like no cross winds likely to maybe split things up, I'm going for a Belgian nonetheless in outsider Jens Debusschere as best value @40/1. Can't see him winning the stage, barring crashes, but he's as good a chance as any I suppose of making top 3 so worth the interest of a £1 e/w for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just went to book myself and Jnr into SRS' event next Sunday, only to find it cancelled due to a poor turn out.

My flabber is agasted at that.

Back in the day we did a fair few SRS events and they were always rammed, well organised, signed and marshalled.
I just assumed with the rise in cycling their popularity would have gone from strength to strength.

Something's a little odd, I doubt it helped running an event on the same course/day as Evans (I don't know who started first) but I assume that it's backfired on SRS.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, it is the Nacer Bouhanni show, and yep, Spain is definitely a country I'm in no rush to ever visit. That's about as much as I can be bothered to say about today's stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My Barnsley supporting neighbor is looking at cycling to the Yeovil game next Saturday,THATS WHAT I CALL SUPPORT!
If that's from Brighton, that'll be a nice ride.

What is it, 100 -120 undulating miles with no major climbs.
Assuming he's not staring down the barrel of a westerly wind, that'll be 5-7 hours.

I bet there's been badly timed car journeys that have taken longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here