Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Spain is definitely a country I'm in no rush to ever visit. That's about as much as I can be bothered to say about today's stage.

:ohmy:

Having had a few holidays in the sun there, its one place I really want to ride. Want to test myself properly on the flat and get the ultimate cycling tan.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:ohmy:

Having had a few holidays in the sun there, its one place I really want to ride. Want to test myself properly on the flat and get the ultimate cycling tan.

Perhaps that's what does it for me, I'm no fan of the heat.

Another stage today of barren sun scorched wasteland lined with loads of blindingly bright concrete and architecture consisting of white boxes that look like someone's thrown a box of lego up in the air to see where it lands. No thanks.

I've no doubt at all that it has it's lovely bits but most of what I've seen whenever watching the Vuelta has looked bloody horrible. Can't hold a candle to the other two grand tours and I'd take the freezing cold classics Belgium countryside any day of the week over the parched Spanish earth that makes me thirsty just looking at it.

By the way, check SB's mate getting over the bumps again. 8th place on a stage like that for a pure sprinter is top work in my book :thumbsup:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Evening Geeks, I have just purchased a £500 cycle to work voucher and am looking for a road bike I can buy under the scheme to accompany my MTB - I know its not a big budget but I have never owned one before so didnt want to go mad until I know I enjoy the feeling of a different style of bike. Any recommendations welcome

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evening Geeks, I have just purchased a £500 cycle to work voucher and am looking for a road bike I can buy under the scheme to accompany my MTB - I know its not a big budget but I have never owned one before so didnt want to go mad until I know I enjoy the feeling of a different style of bike. Any recommendations welcome
Here's a couple of articles to start you off:-

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-£500
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/cheap-road-bikes-our-pick-of-the-best-35756/

Now is a particularly good time to go shopping.
Local Bike Shops attentions are turning to 2015, so they'll be keener to sell, at a price.
- Try before you buy.
The bikes in that price range will all look the same, but there will be geometry differences.
Similar bikes can fit like a glove or do more damage than good.
- Let your heart be involved in the deal.
The very best bike possible won't get ridden anywhere as much if it isn't the bike you luuuvvveee.
- Wheels.
You want them to be the best they can be, but not at all costs (as above)
- Groupset.
There's been a surge in mixing components from different ranges across one drivetrain.
Although not technically a major problem this can lead to misrepresentation, just because it's got a Shimano 105 chain that doesn't make it a Shimano 105 groupset.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Anyone watching the Vuelta?

Looks like quite an interesting one today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone watching the Vuelta?

Looks like quite an interesting one today.
Not any more, I gave it up in favour of the Wii and a quiet afternoon #badparent.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Popped down to my LBS who have a sale on. You jammy dodger. Just get down there and try a few for size.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Steep old climb near the end there. Why is Sagan touring?

Because he's only there training for the Worlds. Gatto is their main stage win man here.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I see Bou(hoo)hanni is up to his old tricks today.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks 10. Funny how SB didn't get my drift but came up with the same answer anyway.

I really like hilly Spain too by the way.

Good to see Cav topping the timesheets elsewhere.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Should be a good one at the Vuelta today. First summit finish and first look at who is going well. Anyone gonna be watching or am I billy no mates again today?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Should be a good one at the Vuelta today. First summit finish and dirst look at who is going well. Anyone gonna be watching or am I billy no mates again today?
It's daddy day care today so I'll have it on.

In the background, of course, while I do a range of stimulating and educational activities with my children! [emoji5]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here