Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's anecdote o'clock.

My LBS owner, Glyn, who appears on the first page of all the Strava points, pretty much across the county, has added a few more.

Apparently the lunatic picked up a lorry coming down Berry Hill, dropping in and drafting it at 40+ mph the 5 or so miles to Pulborough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat's been shopping.

In true 'in for a penny in for a pound' fashion, I thought I might as well give all you celeste-deniers a treat.

Shopping.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't knock it Moto. Good work :thumbsup:

What ride you got planned for tomorrow?

At some point I want to do a 70 odd miler I've got in my head taking in Jevington/Alfriston and Heathfield area but in reverse and longer from the way I went at High & Over before. No chance me doing it until this weather has broken though. I can't take the heat at all and so haven't been near the bike in a week after last Sunday nearly killed me!, except for rides round the block to test the adjustments I've made with a new saddle and handlebar stem. When I do finally get out again it'll be for some shorter hilly circuits again first.

Do the Exceat climb so we have another on the Strava segment, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and myself set a blistering time of around 10:12 up there……which was just a tad slower than [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] 8:21!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit much for a 10T ???
10T?, have you missed a 'T' off?

I got the big box of 'sh*t' from Wiggle, as I was ordering brake blocks anyway.
It was half price @ £8.00, the same price Halfords are knocking out 1 tube of 'zero sports drink tablets'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do the Exceat climb so we have another on the Strava segment, [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and myself set a blistering time of around 10:12 up there……which was just a tad slower than [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] 8:21!
Where's that, I'm looking for a decent leg stretch on Monday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where's that, I'm looking for a decent leg stretch on Monday.

Have a look at my Strava for 14 June - I went out with Pogue and Hamilton, the climb is the A259 (Seaford Rd) out of the Seven Sisters Country Park heading East toward Friston and East Dean. It's nearly 2 mile climb with a couple of 20% gradients in there (the segment is called Exceat). We turned right at Friston heading toward Polegate to then head back West.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have a look at my Strava for 14 June - I went out with Pogue and Hamilton, the climb is the A259 (Seaford Rd) out of the Seven Sisters Country Park heading East toward Friston and East Dean. It's nearly 2 mile climb with a couple of 20% gradients in there (the segment is called Exceat). We turned right at Friston heading toward Polegate to then head back West.
I've done a sportive that took me through Seaford.
I take it I would have gone up it then.
I seem to remember a blur of climbing, as Col du Col sailed off in the distance, not be to seen for another 5 miles.
Luckily he couldn't descend for toffee, at the time.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What ride you got planned for tomorrow?

I kept it quiet in case my legs went on strike and I had to chicken out. Anyway, out to Ashdown Forest and Kidds Hill. Did it albeit major reliance on granny gear. Looking at the times, not too shabby - was expecting to be lower down. Somehow did a PR up Groombridge Hill afterwards too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks, just had a look. Didn't know that segment was called that as when I did it I was still using Endomondo and haven't uploaded any of that old stuff to Strava as I wasn't on Strava at that time. I'll try to dig it out, but my times will be embarrassingly slow that's for certain. I also remember running out of phone battery on the return home from that ride.

At the time I went out to High & Over it was my longest ride and a bit of an unplanned, " I feel good I'll just keep going", and so when I turned left at Seaford towards Jevington the sudden dawning on me that I'd have to negotiate that hill coming up from Seven Sisters filled me with dread. I was pleasantly surprised out how manageable the steep stuff was as it goes, but was then deflated by the seemingly endless flat virtually all the way to the Jevington turn off.

The next long ride I intend to do will be going down that segment instead of up, so I'll be interested to see how fast it goes, and also how hard the climb up out of Seven Sisters towards Seaford is.

Edit: Just checked my Strava thingie to see if I had uploaded that old ride from the Endomondo rides as it was one that stood ouyt as being worthy to save. I did transfer it over :thumbsup:
http://app.strava.com/activities/134525134

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I kept it quiet in case my legs went on strike and I had to chicken out. Anyway, out to Ashdown Forest and Kidds Hill. Did it albeit major reliance on granny gear. Looking at the times, not too shabby - was expecting to be lower down. Somehow did a PR up Groombridge Hill afterwards too.

Good stuff Moto :thumbsup: I take it you don't mind the heat then?

I'll have a look at it on Strava at some point.

Edit: Blimey Moto, that ride's climbing central! Chapeau! :clap2:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I'm honest, the only thing that offends me are the gels and sweets.
I like to have a bit of oomph and flavour with my drink.
Between me and the kids, bottles are now in short supply at Stat Towers.
The gels I can take or leave, unlike back in the day.
So I just figured I'd get a cheap pack.

The haribo are free :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here