Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
it was on the little uphill bit on the way down by Brighton & Hove golf club. Lots of cuts and bruises bike ok though it was the bloody bike that caused it when the chain slipped.

Don't like these stories. Glad you could get up and carry on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
it was on the little uphill bit on the way down by Brighton & Hove golf club. Lots of cuts and bruises bike ok though it was the bloody bike that caused it when the chain slipped.

It's a mental switch off isn't Moto when you hear about or see crashes, like we all stick our fingers in our ears and go 'la la la la la la', not wanting to acknowledge for any of us, that slight twitch of a front wheel, a tiny slip and our faces could be doing the fandango with Mrs tarmac.

I do know the bit you mean Notters, glad you're okay to tell the tale!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And this was after a false widow spider appeared on my handlebars earlier in the ride. I'd noticed there being more and more webs on my bike, it must've been living in it somewhere!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's a shame Notters, I'm glad you're ok.

I think it's more to do with how you move on from it.
My mate who had a particularly bad one on Boxing Day, smashing up his wrist, isn't the same rider.

He's not 'Mr Confident' at the best of times, and irrespective of the nature of his crash, and the positives from that, he now rides on edge.
Ironically now he rides in a fashion that is more likely to cause another crash.

We've all got a crash or two in us it's how we deal with it and what we do to minimalise the chances of it happening.
All of which is, obviously, easier said than done.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My best man is 2 weeks into recovering from a biggie in France. Airlifted to hospital with lung, rib x8, collar bone in 3-4 pieces, scapula and head injuries. Out for 3 days. Saw him in the week and he's talking about us riding out together. If I'm honest, I think he's still out of it the meds. He has a great attitude though, so would put nothing past him. Never finally found out extent of my rib injuries late last year, but still feel it when doing sit ups now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My best man is 2 weeks into recovering from a biggie in France. Airlifted to hospital with lung, rib x8, collar bone in 3-4 pieces, scapula and head injuries. Out for 3 days. Saw him in the week and he's talking about us riding out together. If I'm honest, I think he's still out of it the meds. He has a great attitude though, so would put nothing past him. Never finally found out extent of my rib injuries late last year, but still feel it when doing sit ups now.

Bloody hell, hope he recovers quickly. Did he crash on his bicycle or motorbike?

Many crashes on the descent of the Tourmalet last week, including a 'multiple' with helicopters in attendance. Scary stuff.

Notters, hope your road rash clears well. Was this a new bike or your old one? Have you persuaded your wife to get herself a bike yet? So much more fun together!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Bloody hell, hope he recovers quickly. Did he crash on his bicycle or motorbike?

He was doing a 'you' i.e. a TdF mountain stage before the race got there. Mentioned quite a high speed descent and birds flying up over into his path. Can't remember a thing but has seen moby video of him chatting away waiting for medics afterwards. Can't believe he lost no skin. Must have taken a tree out or something.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
He was doing a 'you' i.e. a TdF mountain stage before the race got there. Mentioned quite a high speed descent and birds flying up over into his path. Can't remember a thing but has seen moby video of him chatting away waiting for medics afterwards. Can't believe he lost no skin. Must have taken a tree out or something.

Yep, birds and rabbits are my biggest fears while cycling, never trust car drivers so always expect the worst with them, but little you can do about a rabbit darting out a hedge which happened the other day, sure its nose must have been through the spokes before it somehow did a 180. Lucky escape. (for both of us :) )

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey guys. Does anyone know anything about this bike? http://claudbutler.co.uk/cycle-range/range/claud-butler-road-touring/cb3070-2014
We have a "reward points" thing at work where, basically, points equal prizes and this bike has just appeared on there. Never had a road bike before but want to get started.

Honest opinion. I'd steer well clear I'm afraid. Likely to be heavy, has very low spec group set and the gearing ratios would prove hard work. Much much better options available even at that new price point, let alone secondhand.
Shame, as I can see the attraction as it's a prize, but it's a prize that would disappoint I think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Booooo

Instead of waiting until I'd done a full overhaul, last night I thought it would be prudent to change the brakes and tyres, in readiness for todays ride.

Which now looks unlikely to happen booooo.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Not sure on sizing, but I reckon this could tick a lot of your boxes: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/carrera-virtuoso-road-bike/1074288288#gallery-item-full-2[/url]

Bought this (it was from super smashing Albion fans too) and had a triffic weekend doing victory laps past the stadium and up to Lewes with chums. It's really light, which makes me a bit nervous because I'm used to bikes I can be quite destructive with. But there again I can lift it with one spindly hand.

Would be great to buy you a Harveys sometime by way of thanks. Or if you message me your membership details I'll stick a couple of pints worth on your card.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bought this (it was from super smashing Albion fans too) and had a triffic weekend doing victory laps past the stadium and up to Lewes with chums. It's really light, which makes me a bit nervous because I'm used to bikes I can be quite destructive with. But there again I can lift it with one spindly hand.

Would be great to buy you a Harveys sometime by way of thanks. Or if you message me your membership details I'll stick a couple of pints worth on your card.

And so it begins...

You'll be spending ALL your money on cycling now, and I predict that you'll have gone full carbon within a year. :wink:

And so it begins...

You'll be spending ALL your money on cycling now, and I predict that you'll have gone full carbon within a year. :wink:

I can vouch for this - started commuting by bike 14 months ago (with help from the Geeks) and currently spend a rather large proportion of my spare time looking at (and occasionally purchasing!) various cycling paraphernalia. I noticed on Wiggle recently that I now qualify for a Platinum discount (which means I've spent £500 in the last twelve months - oops!). Haven't gone full carbon yet, want to get decent value out of my current stead, would like to get to 5,000 miles (which will probably take another 18 months - I'm currently on 2,000 but doing more and more cycling). I've also just (yesterday) completed my longest route to date (58 miles London-Cambridge), and already considering signing up for the Epic version of this in a few weeks time!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can vouch for this - started commuting by bike 14 months ago (with help from the Geeks) and currently spend a rather large proportion of my spare time looking at (and occasionally purchasing!) various cycling paraphernalia. I noticed on Wiggle recently that I now qualify for a Platinum discount (which means I've spent £500 in the last twelve months - oops!). Haven't gone full carbon yet, want to get decent value out of my current stead, would like to get to 5,000 miles (which will probably take another 18 months - I'm currently on 2,000 but doing more and more cycling). I've also just (yesterday) completed my longest route to date (58 miles London-Cambridge), and already considering signing up for the Epic version of this in a few weeks time!

Sten - you're talking like you need to wear one bike out before buying the next...:rolleyes:

You get you're 'special' bike for summer long runs and sportives etc. keep the other going for winter / commuting. You'll get the same life span from the 2 bikes, only they'll both last longer and keep the expensive one off the salted gritted winter roads.:thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Ben! You're a cyclist! We'll have to go for a ride (when my knee is recovered).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
:needpics: :eek: only joking. Never come off touch wood.
Since you asked so nicely :p knee.png Not going to be able to ride for a couple of weeks.

Sten - you're talking like you need to wear one bike out before buying the next...:rolleyes:

You get you're 'special' bike for summer long runs and sportives etc. keep the other going for winter / commuting. You'll get the same life span from the 2 bikes, only they'll both last longer and keep the expensive one off the salted gritted winter roads.:thumbsup:

Unfortunately I don't have the space, disposable income nor wife to accommodate more than one bike! :lolol:

Longer term I may move to more than one bike, but at the moment, with a baby due in 3 months (and going to rob me of both time and disposable income) it's not really on the horizon. Although I was casting admiring glances in the direction of the celeste Bianchi's yesterday...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately I don't have the space, disposable income nor wife to accommodate more than one bike! :lolol:

Longer term I may move to more than one bike, but at the moment, with a baby due in 3 months (and going to rob me of both time and disposable income) it's not really on the horizon. Although I was casting admiring glances in the direction of the celeste Bianchi's yesterday...

I'm banned from buying another bike until I build a bigger shed. There are equations in cycling where the number of bikes you need to own = n +1, where n is the number of bikes you currently own. This needs to be balanced with number of bikes you need to own = s -1, where s is the number of bikes when you're partner will leave you...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here