Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For which all us bike commuters are little stars, but we hadn't ridden over The Tourmalet the day before.

:lolol: I was only kidding, I do recognise that :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: I was only kidding, I do recognise that :)
Sorry I did think (just) it was a little strange.

I guess the sun has finally got to me.

Gonna watch the tour now, I bet I'm asleep before 7:30, :rock: :lol:

You can marvel at [MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION]'s 36 feet of climbing every day. :kiss:

I'll have you know that the cycle home has a whole 140 feet of climbing!

It is a bit of a bugger when it comes to training though - going from my commute to my first (albeit short) sportive-style ride in Cheltenham was quite a culture shock. Don't think L'Etape is going to be on my agenda any time soon!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll have you know that the cycle home has a whole 140 feet of climbing!

It is a bit of a bugger when it comes to training though - going from my commute to my first (albeit short) sportive-style ride in Cheltenham was quite a culture shock. Don't think L'Etape is going to be on my agenda any time soon!
Never say never Sten, you'll only have to do your commute to work 166.6 times, without stopping, to match climbing the Tourmalet.

Ok so be honest, even with the appauling weather Team Geek had to cope with.
Who, after watching today's stage is thinking 'I'd like a piece of that, next year'.

:wave:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yep. I was imagining it on a dry day throughout - particularly when descending the Tourmalet.

I'll check out my time in a minute - thanks for the heads up. And thanks for your gentle persuasion last year - it set the ball rolling at my end, and I 'gently' persuaded 4 of my friends...but more of that later.

I am, sort of, excited about next year, but hugely envious of you and the holiday that you've built around it. I am a teacher, so bound by school holiday dates - I was grateful that I was given Monday off for travel, but that was as far as it was ever going to go. I also have a wife and two kids (well, late-ish teens) so ten days away in the summer is never going to work.

I am contemplating looking for something different, at a time more convenient.

And well done to you, again. Isn't it time you joined the NSC Geeks Club on Strava?

Surely it's the marmotte - the biggest of them all!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] is The Daddy.

:bowdown:
[MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION], I know Chelters quite well. Some tasty hills that way.

Oh I'm loving the TdF. I wanna go and get some piccies of those goats.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Chapeau Pogue Mahone and manintheblackpajamas! :clap2:

Sounds great, despite the weather. I wonder how many casualties there would have been had it been 39 degrees though?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I genuinely expect to see a photo of [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] cresting the Beacon on his rear wheel with no hands on the bars anytime soon.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chapeau Pogue Mahone and manintheblackpajamas! :clap2:

Sounds great, despite the weather. I wonder how many casualties there would have been had it been 39 degrees though?

Yeah, 39 would not have been much fun. If I do it again, I'd like sunshine, 25 degrees and a gentle breeze, please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've penciled in next week as full strip down, clean and re-grease week, for both bikes.

If I don't tell you what colour bar tape I've just bought, you can all assume both packs were black, right?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've penciled in next week as full strip down, clean and re-grease week, for both bikes.

If I don't tell you what colour bar tape I've just bought, you can all assume both packs were black, right?

Of course it's black. A sensible and logical assumption to make.

Only an idiot would select some other random colour, like, I don't know, celeste or something.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course it's black. A sensible and logical assumption to make.

Only an idiot would select some other random colour, like, I don't know, celeste or something.
When added to the tyres and saddle I've bought, Stat Towers is going to look like an explosion in a celeste factory.

Plus the fact I'm not sure if I want black hood covers on my 'bright' bike.

I just can't think of another colour to get.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm contemplating riding to work later. Which is easy, but it means I'll be riding home some time after midnight. Mainly down an unlit road between Haywards Heath & Burgess Hill.

I have decent lights (unused as yet): what are my chances of getting run over by some ignorant idiot in a speeding Citroen Saxo, do we think?

(I'd have said a white van but not so many of them around at 1am, apart from the ones carrying out ram raids)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here