Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Sadly the weather was far too unkind for me, so no reputation salvaging here. I don't do well in freezing cold. Add in wet clothes and altitude and I couldn't imagine a worse day. Bring back the 39 degrees please!

I don't think I even enjoyed it to be honest, which is a shame as it was my highlight of last year.
Descending Tourmalet was ridiculous with rivers of water running down it. My whole body was shaking and I lost so much time over the ride stopping to try and get feeling back in my fingers for braking.

Official finish time was 7h26m, but I'll be interested to see how much of that I was stopped for when I get access to Strava. It was a long time, All of which would have been saved on a hot day.

Onwards to next year...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Pah, he's dead to me now.

Fingers crossed [MENTION=5362]manintheblackpajamas[/MENTION] salvaged our reputation.

Sadly the weather was far too unkind for me, so no reputation salvaging here. I don't do well in freezing cold. Add in wet clothes and altitude and I couldn't imagine a worse day. Bring back the 39 degrees please!

I don't think I even enjoyed it to be honest, which is a shame as it was my highlight of last year.
Descending Tourmalet was ridiculous with rivers of water running down it. My whole body was shaking and I lost so much time over the ride stopping to try and get feeling back in my fingers for braking.

Official finish time was 7h26m, but I'll be interested to see how much of that I was stopped for when I get access to Strava. It was a long time, All of which would have been saved on a hot day.

Onwards to next year...

Good effort. You'll have a story to tell in years to come anyway and cycling wouldn't be so much fun without those moments of pure misery and suffering on the bike!!!

Good to see you're still keen for next year!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Onwards to next year...
Gutted for you boys, chapeau for the battle.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Good effort. You'll have a story to tell in years to come anyway and cycling wouldn't be so much fun without those moments of pure misery and suffering on the bike!!!

Good to see you're still keen for next year!

Gutted for you boys, chapeau for the battle.

Thanks chaps.
It was a bit disappointing but certainly is a story!
I just seem to suffer the cold more than some.

I absolutely love cycling the French mountains so at least I'm fortunate to have ten days out here.
Moving camp site today to near the base of Hautacam to watch the pros on Thursday.

In the meantime, some new mountains planned for Tuesday and another crack at the Tourmalet on Wednesday...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Can't be bothered to insert the tweet but anyone who follows Dan Lloyd can spot me on the commute home. Just look for the blob in background of the picture of his quite impressive looking new steed!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm home!

Bloody Hell...I have NEVER been as cold and wet as I was descending the Tourmalet and Hautecam. Never. And it was July 20th.

But basically, I did it, and I didn,t stop on either of those mountains (on the way up or down) so I'm very happy with that.

An incredible experience. Unlike The Man, I have never cycled mountains before, and was worried as to whether I could. I actually blame The Man for this - he was a strong force of persuasion last year, and now, it's done.

I'm too tired to go into all the lurid details yet. Suffice to say I was a gibbering wreck at the end, and loved the experience despite the shitty weather.

On Strava, at the moment, the ride is in two parts, as my phone ran out of charge and I didn't plug in my portable charger until the foot of the Hautecam. I have got the whole thing on my Garmin, but can't work out how to put this on Strava. How? And a bit more detail than your last explanation [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] - I can't see anything on the Activities page to help me. I am too old to understand these things, and need a fool's guide.

Garmin tells me it took me 7 hours and 41 minutes. The clock at the finish, I think, said 8h22m - but I didn't start when it started. I met a bloke I did Paris-Roubaix with at the airport in Toulouse - I had beaten him by nearly 3 hours!

So, in my mind SB, yes, I won.

More details to follow!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm home!

Bloody Hell...I have NEVER been as cold and wet as I was descending the Tourmalet and Hautecam. Never. And it was July 20th.

But basically, I did it, and I didn,t stop on either of those mountains (on the way up or down) so I'm very happy with that.

An incredible experience. Unlike The Man, I have never cycled mountains before, and was worried as to whether I could. I actually blame The Man for this - he was a strong force of persuasion last year, and now, it's done.

I'm too tired to go into all the lurid details yet. Suffice to say I was a gibbering wreck at the end, and loved the experience despite the shitty weather.

On Strava, at the moment, the ride is in two parts, as my phone ran out of charge and I didn't plug in my portable charger until the foot of the Hautecam. I have got the whole thing on my Garmin, but can't work out how to put this on Strava. How? And a bit more detail than your last explanation [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] - I can't see anything on the Activities page to help me. I am too old to understand these things, and need a fool's guide.

Garmin tells me it took me 7 hours and 41 minutes. The clock at the finish, I think, said 8h22m - but I didn't start when it started. I met a bloke I did Paris-Roubaix with at the airport in Toulouse - I had beaten him by nearly 3 hours!

More details to follow!
Fantastic stuff.

Can you wake up now and write some more please.

I'm heading over to Strava now.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I have got the whole thing on my Garmin, but can't work out how to put this on Strava. How?

Well the first steps are obvious; login to Strava on your computer and connect the Garmin device using the usb cable. Then click on the upload link on the top right of the screen, click on 'Get Started' under the Garmin logo and that pretty much it...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm home!

More details to follow!

Well done mate! Knew you wouldn't need to stop. Someone said to me the other day 'I did the Tourmalet and planned to only stop once……..on each hairpin….' Bet it was incredible. Chapeau, chapeau!!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm home!

More details to follow!

On my mac I had to install the Garmin Connect plugin before Strava would allow me to upload from my 500.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When geeks, Strava and the real world collide, nearly ending my ride.

I popped out to do my 10 mile TT after work, having previously noted [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] weekend time.
Not competitively obviously, just as usual, in awe.

So there I am burying myself and I happened to notice the timer was at 20 minutes and loose change.
'Ah that'll be Glander just finishing', I wonder where I'm at:-

7.14 miles

FFS, had I not been on a fast part of my course setting a fast time I might have got off and thrown my bike in a bush!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Finally, I have worked out how to upload activity from my Garmin onto Strava. So L'Etape is now there in its entirety should you want to check it out. I will delete the two bits that uploaded from my phone soon.

Match report later, too. But first, a bath.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
I'm home!

More details to follow!

Well done.
I don't think you took too much persuading to do it!

Just imagine it on a dry day. I've been out today and done another 2000 metres climbing and it felt great to have the sun on my back again. I'll have been here ten days by the time I leave and the Etape fell on the only day of terrible weather.

Your official finish time (from your timing chip) will be on your certificate if you log in to your ASO account and go to 'my events'.
You'll also get to see your photos and videos there too.

Hope you're excited to see next years route...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally, I have worked out how to upload activity from my Garmin onto Strava. So L'Etape is now there in its entirety should you want to check it out. I will delete the two bits that uploaded from my phone soon.

Match report later, too. But first, a bath.
How the hell did you ride to work today?

I can't imagine I'd be overly impressed to see my bike on the first day back in blighty.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well done.
I don't think you took too much persuading to do it!

Just imagine it on a dry day. I've been out today and done another 2000 metres climbing and it felt great to have the sun on my back again. I'll have been here ten days by the time I leave and the Etape fell on the only day of terrible weather.

Your official finish time (from your timing chip) will be on your certificate if you log in to your ASO account and go to 'my events'.
You'll also get to see your photos and videos there too.

Hope you're excited to see next years route...

Yep. I was imagining it on a dry day throughout - particularly when descending the Tourmalet.

I'll check out my time in a minute - thanks for the heads up. And thanks for your gentle persuasion last year - it set the ball rolling at my end, and I 'gently' persuaded 4 of my friends...but more of that later.

I am, sort of, excited about next year, but hugely envious of you and the holiday that you've built around it. I am a teacher, so bound by school holiday dates - I was grateful that I was given Monday off for travel, but that was as far as it was ever going to go. I also have a wife and two kids (well, late-ish teens) so ten days away in the summer is never going to work.

I am contemplating looking for something different, at a time more convenient.

And well done to you, again. Isn't it time you joined the NSC Geeks Club on Strava?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How the hell did you ride to work today?

I can't imagine I'd be overly impressed to see my bike on the first day back in blighty.

I rode to and from work today too.

Though it's only about a twenty minute ride, so not terribly arduous :) Bit toasty out though, even at 5:30am, and especially at 5pm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And well done to you, again. Isn't it time you joined the NSC Geeks Club on Strava?
You can marvel at [MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION]'s 36 feet of climbing every day. :kiss:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I rode to and from work today too.

Though it's only about a twenty minute ride, so not terribly arduous :) Bit toasty out though, even at 5:30am, and especially at 5pm.
For which all us bike commuters are little stars, but we hadn't ridden over The Tourmalet the day before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here