Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Agreed 1066 - endless miles of winding country lanes and extravagant road furniture don't quite cut the mustard after arenburg and the kwaremont. But I can get excited about flèche wallone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously I have a warm feeling towards Amstel, what with it being the NSC betting coup I engineered a few years ago, (I don't think I have mentioned that before!!).

Although they do seem to have ruined the race a little by moving the finish line a couple of flat kms back from the final climb.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
after all the help you have all given so far. Can anyone recommend a helmet bracket for a camera?

i have a mount for my handle bars and recorded most of a ride down the devil's dyke yesterday but as you can imagine it was rather bumpy so i wanted to try out the camera on my head. Any ideas? please

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Obviously I have a warm feeling towards Amstel, what with it being the NSC betting coup I engineered a few years ago, (I don't think I have mentioned that before!!).

Although they do seem to have ruined the race a little by moving the finish line a couple of flat kms back from the final climb.

So did you have a bet for today?

I held back as no one jumped out who I fancy.

Having seen Valverde at Pais Vasco and Strade Bianchi, if he can maintain that form then I think he'll be very hard to beat today. I'd much prefer anyone else, other than Gerrans, to win it though, and preferably from a decent attack like Kreuziger last year.

1066 mini (m) ran his fantasy team past me this morning. I was quite impressed by his inclusion of dark horse Cunego AND the big three. He also has Mohoric in the break.

Update: Just seen Purito has crashed and abandoned :( Hope he'll be ok for Wednesday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agreed 1066 - endless miles of winding country lanes and extravagant road furniture don't quite cut the mustard after arenburg and the kwaremont. But I can get excited about flèche wallone.

Bad news for Wednesday if Purito isn't recovered from today's crash. But being a cyclist and not a footballer, hopefully he'll be fine.

I'm going to have to make do with avoiding results and look for reruns in the evening this time as I'm not in a position to book my usual race days annual leave this year, and FW has been on my list previously as worth taking the time for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So did you have a bet for today?

I held back as no one jumped out who I fancy.

Having seen Valverde at Pais Vasco and Strade Bianchi, if he can maintain that form then I think he'll be very hard to beat today. I'd much prefer anyone else, other than Gerrans, to win it though, and preferably from a decent attack like Kreuziger last year.

1066 mini (m) ran his fantasy team past me this morning. I was quite impressed by his inclusion of dark horse Cunego AND the big three. He also has Mohoric in the break.

Update: Just seen Purito has crashed and abandoned :( Hope he'll be ok for Wednesday.
I couldn't help myself, and ended up throwing a couple of pounds on Nav, I guess for old time sake.
Working on the theory that he's the Garmin fella sent up the road to act as bait so Slagter to gets a free ride.
Only RN has the engine to stay away.

In a moment of clarity I did cover that win & ew bet with Pip Gilbert.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Andy Schleck has joined Joaquim Rodriguez in abandoning Amstel Gold Race. The Luxembourger was a faller in what we understand was the same incident and although he was able to rejoin the peloton, he has now been forced out by a knee injury he picked up in the crash.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I couldn't help myself, and ended up throwing a couple of pounds on Nav, I guess for old time sake.
Working on the theory that he's the Garmin fella sent up the road to act as bait so Slagter to gets a free ride.
Only RN has the engine to stay away.

In a moment of clarity I did cover that win & ew bet with Pip Gilbert.

Sensible, the cover bet. I think this is where I go wrong. I insist on betting against favourites and not covering it. I have plenty to learn.

Re: AS. Add G to the list of crashes and abandons. I think G must be sponsored as a crash test dummy or something.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
60 odd km to go. Break just over 5 mins up the road:

Christophe Riblon (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Alexey Lutsenko (Astana), Matej Mohoric (Cannondale), Pim Ligthart (Lotto Belisol), Manuel Belletti (Androni Venezuela), Pirmin Lang (IAM Cycling), Preben Van Hecke (Topsport Vlaanderen), James Vanlandschoot (Wanty Gobert Groupe) and Nicola Boem (Bardiani CSF)

Purito, Andy Schleck, G - all abandoned due to crashes. Dan Martin and Zubeldia also amongst abandons so far.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
60 odd km to go. Break just over 5 mins up the road:

Christophe Riblon (Ag2r-La Mondiale), Alexey Lutsenko (Astana), Matej Mohoric (Cannondale), Pim Ligthart (Lotto Belisol), Manuel Belletti (Androni Venezuela), Pirmin Lang (IAM Cycling), Preben Van Hecke (Topsport Vlaanderen), James Vanlandschoot (Wanty Gobert Groupe) and Nicola Boem (Bardiani CSF)

Purito, Andy Schleck, G - all abandoned due to crashes. Dan Martin and Zubeldia also amongst abandons so far.

Cheers 1066. That break won't last then.

G has abandoned due to a crash? Hard to believe...and Schleck too. I am truly shocked.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cheers 1066. That break won't last then.

G has abandoned due to a crash? Hard to believe...and Schleck too. I am truly shocked.

I'm gobsmacked :lolol:

I like the presence of Lutsenko there. Gasparotto set up would be nice.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It would be great.

They'll catch them with 4.6km to go though, and today's the day for...

Simon Gerrans.

That would spoil my day to see him take victory. One of my least favourite riders.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why's that? Always seems like a nice guy to me. And I like Orica Greenedge as a team.

I even quite like Matthew Goss. Even though he is a constant and recurring disappointment.

Mainly because of the disrespect he showed towards Slagter at last years Tour Down Under. Don't like his racing style either, and (don't tell Tyrone) he's an Aussie, which is enough on it's own :wink: Greenedge frustrate me as team. Only one I really like from there is Daryl Impey - constantly slogging his guts out for weaker riders than himself (granted Gerrans showed a nice touch towards him in last years Tdf)

Nice move by Greenedge to get the Yates brother in though.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As you alluded to earlier, 1066, such an uninspiring race. Dull countryside, silly road furniture, and no cobbles to keep us amused. Roll on the Giro!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gilbert perfect attack because Gerrans and AVV are both so negative. Up to Kwia I suppose

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And that's exactly why I don't like AVV and Gerrans - negative wankers! Quite happy to let someone else win so long as they don't lose a podium spot. Tossers!

Perfect for Gilbert and perfectly raced by BMC with GVA doing immense amount of work.

Pleased for Gilbert and SB. Poor race to watch however.

Edit: Apologies for the language. Heat of the moment stuff. Obviously just didn't have the legs, but those two do wind me up as riders most of the time nonetheless.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here