Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't worry Gilbert will get relegated to last and you're man will be up to third :lolol:

Just to rub it in, (non spoiler mode), one of my favourite riders and one I'm partial to tipping on occasions (but not this time) went and nicked third...after coming back from a puncture! :facepalm:

Anyway, who'd have thought a national champion would have been working for his team mate and compatriot. Didn't fancy his own chances of going head to head with Big Phil either, clearly :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got a lovely day planned with the kids tomorrow.
I thought it would be nice to have a picnic and spend some time @ Tilgate Park, Crawley.

The fact that I need a new track pump and Evans Gatwick is right around the corner, has no relevance to the day.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Loving that line - "...every time I've done a ton."

Throw in the - "...it only recorded 2/3 of the Paris-Roubaix sportive..." and ... "I'm doing l'etape this year..."

Quite possibly it's time I got my coat :blush: :lolol:

:bowdown:

He's a top performer.

One of 'us' did a cat 2 today. I've never seen a Strava elevation chart go so high! Chapeau fella, chapeau.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***GEEK REQUEST***

Jnr Stat has already reneged the promise he made in Feb, to not grow.

He sat on a 650 Hoy today, and he looked a lot more comfortable.

So after bedtime I'll begin trawling through Ebay, and put a wanted notice in the 'radar classifieds.

Should anyone see/hear of a decent 650 wheeled roadie, I'd very much appreciate a heads up.
A new Carrera in Halfords is about £250, so that's the price point I'm looking at. (if it's realistic)

Naturally this also means the legend that is 'the worlds smallest Colnago' will be for sale soon(ish), somewhere north of £200.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
***GEEK REQUEST***

So after bedtime I'll begin trawling through Ebay, and put a wanted notice in the 'radar classifieds.

Should anyone see/hear of a decent 650 wheeled roadie, I'd very much appreciate a heads up.
A new Carrera in Halfords is about £250, so that's the price point I'm looking at. (if it's realistic)

Naturally this also means the legend that is 'the worlds smallest Colnago' will be for sale soon(ish), somewhere north of £200.

Bloody typical, I hate being rushed, I hate it when things appear 'to good to be true', I hate not having studied the details.

First bike, only an hour to go happens to be this one:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-650c-Race-bike-/121314583829?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1c3ee9a515

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
***GEEK REQUEST***

Happy hunting. I spent ages on bike radar, gumtree and ebay before finally getting our 9yr old (8 at the time) the Btwin triban 3 last year. It's a tad heavy but I couldn't really stretch to an Islabike and beyond for something slightly lighter. The really good bikes certainly hold their price at resale. It's her first road bike anyway and she was and is chuffed to bits with it, so I'm happy too. You might have more of an ante to up though coming off the Colnago.

UPDATE:
Just to follow up the Garmin vs phone battery issue I raised the other day.

Went out for 54 miles today over rolling inland terrain. Anyway, point being the phone lasted 3hr 50mins with the Sports Tracker app I spoke about. That was only 3 minutes shy of completing the ride. Autopause must have been doing it's job too as the figures match quite closely to the Cateye this time, but I'm a tad disappointed that it probably means I'll now be going down the Garmin route in the very near future.

So another Geek request for a heads up to match SB's. Should anyone spot a decent Garmin 200 going for a decent price then please give me a shout if you can, thanks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched the Fuji pass by @£200, no bids since 14th.
I managed to get a bit of research in, it appeared to be a bit of a 'runt'.
There are other identical bikes with Sora, carbon forks, etc.
This was 7 speed Shimano R050 :shrug:, steel forks etc.
Plus it was from Coventry as an 'unwanted prize'.
Last month a seller from Nottingham sold the Sora-carbon version, for £250, because it was an 'unwanted prize'.
My spidy senses weren't happy.

Anyhoo.
I'll whisper this 1066 as I don't know what PM paid for his 200 from Wiggle.
But Evans have them with 25% off, £85.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Last month a seller from Nottingham sold the Sora-carbon version, for £250, because it was an 'unwanted prize'.

Anyhoo.

£87 from Wiggle. So I'm not too distraught.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Bryton Riders are okay aren't they?

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/Uni...gclid=CPSgwNWk6L0CFczItAodiz0A5g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Both bottle cages are in place again. Longer rides are back! Gonna do a little ride tomorrow morning to get used to the SLs.

Thanks Moto. That's a new name to me. Did a quick look at a review and it might fit the bill at that price. It doesn't look pretty, just be able to do the job and be reliable. I'll look at more reviews and consider it.

Anyhoo.

Think you was wise not to rush in SB, especially with the 'unwanted prize' sounding very dodgy.

Thanks for the 200 nod, but yes, that's the reduced price now and what PM paid too. Just logged back into bikeradar again at last by going in a different way. There's one gone on there today at £95. Nearly new and with an added front bracket. No good to me at that price as I have no need of a fancy bracket beyond the standard rubber loops.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
£74 at Pro Bike Kit if you use discount code?

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/outdoor-gps/garmin-edge-x00.htm

Gotta be as good as it'll get. Reckon my £60 for a barely used was a bit of a one off.

Nice one Moto :kiss:

I even have until April 26th to think about it it seems. Not that there seems to be too much thinking to be done at that price. But as you've alerted me to the Bryton, think I'll have a deep dig into reviews and particularly their website usability ratings and then decide from there.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], I thought I'd overdone my updates on my quest for a garminge2. Maybe not. Schoolboy error on your part not checking with me first.
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], if you stomach it, have a read of this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12965192 The overall impression is biggest thumbs up for the 5, but lots of love for the 2. The 2 is ace and worth an extra £10er to be in the groovy gang in my opinion. The 2 lasts ages before needing a recharge. People who comment on the Brytons big them up too to be fair.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], I thought I'd overdone my updates on my quest for a garminge2. Maybe not. Schoolboy error on your part not checking with me first.

[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], if you stomach it, have a read of this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12965192 The overall impression is biggest thumbs up for the 5, but lots of love for the 2. The 2 is ace and worth an extra £10er to be in the groovy gang in my opinion. The 2 lasts ages before needing a recharge. People who comment on the Brytons big them up too to be fair.

You are, of course correct. I saw a deal and went for it. Not as good a deal as I could have got, unfortunately.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Matters not. You've got it and that's the main thing. If you compare our stats, yours'll work out much more cost effective per mile.

:lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mind made up.

Brief summary of findings:

The Bryton is extremely lightweight and best value for money. Also has Ant+ support should you want to add a HR monitor and cadence sensor (I don't). Best battery life too.
Interface looks a bit clunky and appears website may not be as sleek as Garmins.

So for the £10 extra.

The Garmin has a battery life more than sufficient for my needs (I'm not Glanders :lol:) and is the only reason to move away from phone apps for me.
I prefer the screen layout compared to the Bryton.
The website looks really nice to use.
You can even load in a route and follow a 'breadcrumb' route if you want (see first video). Could be useful if taking the bike on the car to a different part of the country, or abroad.

[yt]V9NQNcdtxZU[/yt]

Already made up my mind by this point, but a bit of a meant to be moment when you see the ride he replays at the 1:15 point.

[yt]iMXLY4uEggA[/yt]

Aside from boring everyone silly, this is a geek service we're offering now in case a newbie should come along armed with questions, so please forgive me :)

UPDATE: Just went to the probikekit site and they don't have any 200's in :( Perhaps they've sold out due to demand?, but they're not even listing it. I'll keep an eye out and see if it does appear there before the offer ends.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we're talking about Garmin, lets not forget the team seem to enjoy Ardennes.

I do expect them to be a little more committed, what with Slagter and Martin.

But if I were you 1066 I'd put the kids uni fund on Ramunas Navardauskas @ 200/1 for Amstel.
You'll be able to buy a 200 without the discount on Monday!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here