Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just wish I had stuck with the pick an Izagirre tactic that served me so well last season.
I'd been looking at the lesser teams thinking they would be targeting 'easy' WT points.
But I just couldn't bring myself to include EUS, it's just too flat and far to far away from home.
So instead I scored no points :facepalm:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'd been looking at the lesser teams thinking they would be targeting 'easy' WT points.
But I just couldn't bring myself to include EUS, it's just too flat and far to far away from home.

I know, it is a bit weird. Both the Izagirre's are decent riders though, but I decided they were overpriced at 14.5 and 13.6. Whereas Matthew Harley Goss has proved an absolute bargain at 34.6 credits :ffsparr:. I can't help feeling there was a clue in there somewhere. :lolol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Thanks for saving my blushes SB! I've not saved any transfers to dig myself out of the hole, either.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What do you mean by saving transfers? If you don't use them can you carry them over to the next stage?
Only 2, makes them 4.

Handy in the Grand Tours when you know you have 3 days of mountains looming.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks for saving my blushes SB! I've not saved any transfers to dig myself out of the hole, either.

What do you mean by saving transfers? If you don't use them can you carry them over to the next stage?

Us non premium players can save them up for the next stage. So, if we have two per stage you can save one days transfers so you get four the next. Or use one transfer so you have three the next stage. They do not roll over to different Tours though. If you don't make any transfers for two days you only roll over the previous days transfers.

Unless you are a premium player, then your transfers can roll over for ever, within each Tour anyway. Which is a massive and really unfair advantage, hence no premium players in our league. For example in grand Tours there will often be three days of sprint stages (or in the older TdF a whole first week) where you can save up enough transfers to completely change your team when the terrain changes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact I picked a team that:-

- Couldn't get into the top 20.
- Be in Team Sky.
- Not get in a breakaway.
- Not attack any intermidate sprints.
- Not get any KoM's points.

But still not be bad enough to come last.

Tw@ts the lot of them.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Us non premium players can save them up for the next stage. So, if we have two per stage you can save one days transfers so you get four the next. Or use one transfer so you have three the next stage. They do not roll over to different Tours though. If you don't make any transfers for two days you only roll over the previous days transfers.

Unless you are a premium player, then your transfers can roll over for ever, within each Tour anyway. Which is a massive and really unfair advantage, hence no premium players in our league. For example in grand Tours there will often be three days of sprint stages (or in the older TdF a whole first week) where you can save up enough transfers to completely change your team when the terrain changes.

Cool, didn't know that, thanks. I really must read the rules more closely.

I thought I'd done really well in stage 2, could've sworn I had Geraint, so celebrated his win more than I would normally. But he wasn't in my team...

I've already made by moves for stage 3.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bloody PG and his descending skills (which I'd always assumed were good) let me down again big time just like they did in Lombardi :(

Having seen some intent from certain riders on stage 1 on the intermediate sprints I waded in with 3 transfers yesterday, convinced I could recover the lost 10pts easily. Worse still, the kids both had my Dutchman that I had penciled in for the Corkscrew stage over a week ago, so I thought I'd outsmart them and bring in an Italian instead. Fail :facepalm:

Only consolation is pretty much everyone scored poorly too. Top ride from G though! I saw a few people predict he'd do well but I for one didn't believe it for a single minute, so no fantasy regrets there.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact I picked a team that:-

- Couldn't get into the top 20.
- Be in Team Sky.
- Not get in a breakaway.
- Not attack any intermidate sprints.
- Not get any KoM's points.

But still not be bad enough to come last.

Tw@ts the lot of them.

Now, now. Gerrans at least looks like a decent pick :lolol:

Just done some research in to tomorrows stage it is basically a Worlds type course only much shorter. The climbs don't look steep enough to shake off the strong man sprinters though. A stage for a Gerrans, Gilbert, EBH type character I think. It all depends on whether they can be bothered though, it is always difficult to tell early season.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cool, didn't know that, thanks. I really must read the rules more closely.

I thought I'd done really well in stage 2, could've sworn I had Geraint, so celebrated his win more than I would normally. But he wasn't in my team...

I've already made by moves for stage 3.

Or perhaps you shouldn't judging by your start!

You've blown my, "read the bloody rules", advice straight out of the water :lol: Nice work.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Now, now. Gerrans at least looks like a decent pick :lolol:

Just done some research in to tomorrows stage it is basically a Worlds type course only much shorter. The climbs don't look steep enough to shake off the strong man sprinters though. A stage for a Gerrans, Gilbert, EBH type character I think. It all depends on whether they can be bothered though, it is always difficult to tell early season.

Really tricky one to call this compared to the two previous stages where it always looked likely it would be bunch sprint on 1 and small group selection on 2 with the sprinters dropped.
As for riders being bothered. I was convinced I had three that definitely were for yesterday, only to discover 2 weren't and one thought he'd make a habit of hitting the deck again. I feel like I've been bowled a googly now and not quite sure how to face it to be honest.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

You've blown my, "read the bloody rules", advice straight out of the water :lol: Nice work.

Yeah right, bloody JCLs :lolol:

Impressed with the starts of many of our new comers. Still it is a marathon not a sprint, I'm hoping to claw points back on the more obscure ones. I mean who else will watch the Tour of Oman in flemish just to get some advantage at this game :insert geek smiley here:

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Tomorrow/tonight whatever time it is, I SHOULD claw back some points and hopefully cancel out my 30 pen. points, IF the big boys turn out to take it seriously. :rolleyes:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Really tricky one to call this compared to the two previous stages where it always looked likely it would be bunch sprint on 1 and small group selection on 2 with the sprinters dropped.
As for riders being bothered. I was convinced I had three that definitely were for yesterday, only to discover 2 weren't and one thought he'd make a habit of hitting the deck again. I feel like I've been bowled a googly now and not quite sure how to face it to be honest.

I thought yesterday would end in a bunch sprint again if I am honest. Shows what I know, and that I was in Blackburn rather than obsessing over this nonsense. I've gone quite conservative with my picks figuring that early season stage races generally do not have huge swings and roundabouts. Wished I had picked Gerrans rather than Goss at the beginning even though neither have any points yet.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Tomorrow/tonight whatever time it is, I SHOULD claw back some points and hopefully cancel out my 30 pen. points, IF the big boys turn out to take it seriously. :rolleyes:

Avoid penalty points like the plague, Jay. You are asking a hell of a lot from your transferred rider to claw those points back, they would need to finish in the top ten to turn you a profit, and you can never be certain of that. Remember that each competition is treated separately, so come the Tour of Qatar we are all on zero again.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Avoid penalty points like the plague, Jay. You are asking a hell of a lot from your transferred rider to claw those points back, they would need to finish in the top ten to turn you a profit, and you can never be certain of that. Remember that each competition is treated separately, so come the Tour of Qatar we are all on zero again.
Oh, didn't know that (the late bit). Will there be an overall points tally at the end of the season?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah right, bloody JCLs :lolol:

Impressed with the starts of many of our new comers. Still it is a marathon not a sprint, I'm hoping to claw points back on the more obscure ones. I mean who else will watch the Tour of Oman in flemish just to get some advantage at this game :insert geek smiley here:

Yep, great start and good to see. Do they know just what they've let themselves in for though I wonder? Obsessives beware!

I have a small confession to make. I got up at about 2.30am yesterday to watch a stream. Tuned in just right as I didn't have to wait long to see the break caught and the charge to the bottom of Corkscrew Hill. And then watching Geraint Thomas on Corkscrew! :eek: I've watched numerous videos of that climb recently (as you do) but he just flew up it!...very impressive indeed! I never knew he had that in him to be honest. On that showing we could see an impressive season from him.

Btw, Phil telling us about the touristic delights of Adelaide in proper tourist board sponsored segments DURING race commentary really was a step too far at that time in the morning, but Robbie McEwen knows his onions and called everything spot on.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yeah, not bad so far! :cool: My family have always despaired at how much cycling I'm capable of watching. I fear that this league may stretch their patience...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought yesterday would end in a bunch sprint again if I am honest. Shows what I know, and that I was in Blackburn rather than obsessing over this nonsense. I've gone quite conservative with my picks figuring that early season stage races generally do not have huge swings and roundabouts. Wished I had picked Gerrans rather than Goss at the beginning even though neither have any points yet.

Blimey, having listened to commentary on the radio last night I was glad I've had to tighten the belt a bit and cut some away trips out. Sounded a dire game, even though you must have gone mental right at the end. Fair play to you for going up :bowdown:

I was confident no sprinters would make the final selection yesterday, hence three of them straight out, but now it's gone a bit pear shaped and I'm floundering as to how to turn it around.

Remember new rules now mean 10 rather than 20pts penalty for extra transfers. yesterday I considered that a price worth paying...even though it wasn't in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here