Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Moo-ma Stat has early onset dementia - tbh she's had it for about 30 years.

I know it's now actually kicking in because last week she tried to show some form of physical affection towards me, by wafting her hand in my general direction, as I left her place.

We've not touched since I learned to do pooh-poohs in my potty.
The word awkward doesn't even begin to describe the interaction.

#ImTheNormalOne.
Ah, mate. It’s tough.

My mum died with dementia in July, she’d been getting worse and worse for the last five years.

She was previously a hugger, but this stopped as she drew into herself more and more.

She seemed to have some moments of clarity just before she died, which gave me some comfort.

Hope you’re having a ball in Athens. How’s the view from the hotel window?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah, mate. It’s tough.

My mum died with dementia in July, she’d been getting worse and worse for the last five years.

She was previously a hugger, but this stopped as she drew into herself more and more.

She seemed to have some moments of clarity just before she died, which gave me some comfort.

Cheers and sorry.

Annoyingly we're one building back from the Acropolis as I'd have loved a 'vote on my view' compare and contrast thread.

Tarpon was a true man of Sussex.

One brisk handshake followed by remaining one and a half broadswords distance apart.

He's no freak.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Ah, mate. It’s tough.

Sorry to hear this. Always here if you need someone to talk to.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
First proper fat-bike ride of the season. 20km round trip to Parliament.

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpeg
    IMG_2218.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 50

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
GCN final live race - Namur Cyclocross .... What a finish!!! .. Well worth watching on playback ..
No spoilers 🙂

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cycling’s El Hadj Diouf?

Mathieu van der Poel, the cycling world champion, spat into the crowd after deciding that he had “had enough” of fans jeering him.

Van der Poel, world champion in both road race and cyclocross disciplines, took victory at the UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup in Hulst in the Netherlands on Saturday.

But he said he was booed by fans during his warm-up and in the race and said: “I’ve had enough of those boos. They weren’t things that belong in the sport, boos don’t belong to anyone. After a while, it’s enough, even for me.”

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Really bad news so sorry to hear it.

Hopefully things will feel better as time moves on.
Have you got back on your bike? I've been badly injured by a speeding car and spent 52 days in hospital with four neck and shoulder fractures. I was thinking how dangerous the junction when I got squashed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Today I have had to make the (for me) very hard decision to stop riding. Cycling has been a major part of my life for the past 15 years, and after 58 000 miles, has become part of who I am. Its my exercise, my thinking time, my "me" time. Its my social life in part, and it has kept me sane in some very hard times

Following a couple of years where I have been involved in two car accidents due entirley due to bad driving, and a crash two weeks ago that left me with a shattered femur, a week in hospital, and a right upper leg that is literally more metal and screws than bone, and will take up to 9 months to recover from, I have decided even if I am physically able to (likley but not 100% sure thing)enough is enough. I have used up my cats nine lives.

I have no idea what to do to fill the void that this will leave in my life.

To some it seems a no brainer, my physical health and well being have to take priority over a stupid bike ride, but for me its not that easy. I am getting emotional just writting this, but I need somehow to get it down, not for sympathy or likes, but somehow to see it written makes it feel more real.

So forgive me my indulgent post. Its part of me saying goodbye to something that helps define me. For those of you that I have ridden with occasionally, thank you for your company.

The cycling community in all its guises is fantastic, I will miss it all so very much
Still off your bike?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have you got back on your bike? I've been badly injured by a speeding car and spent 52 days in hospital with four neck and shoulder fractures. I was thinking how dangerous the junction when I got squashed.
I haven't been off it however very much a fair weather cyclist, too cold at present so walk or train it

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Still off your bike?
i am finally off crutches and have riden my montain bike from home, round stanmer, and to the amex twice.(its about 5 mile round trip) It was bloody hard work and I was in pain and had great difficulty walking the next day. I cant yet physically get on a road bike, however my original decision stands-no more road cycling as such, but hope to be able to ride my off road for shortish distances on the downs and round stanmer etc by the spring/summer

Health wise all is on track, getting more movement and less pain each week, although I have a long way to go .

1704838005648.png

1704837984860.png

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Second big 'off' since Chritmas this morning...

Riding through Saltdean park when some idiot decided to luzz a tennis ball from bank to bank across the path in the middle for his dog to chase...

After hitting the dog side on (dog was fine) I went flying on the tarmac...Bloke and his mate very apologetic and helped me up and managed to hobble home...

Sitting here now with right wrist hurting, left arm hard to bend and left leg mega sore when putting weight on it...

Don't fancy A&E as nothing 'appears' to be broken , is that the right course or should I go ?

Being 57 and helper to a couple of oldies I think that's it for biking outside unfortunately...

Thinking that Peloton the safe way now...If anyone had good advice on that it would be much appreciated cheers

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Riding through Saltdean park when some idiot decided to luzz a tennis ball from bank to bank across the path in the middle for his dog to chase...

After hitting the dog side on (dog was fine) I went flying on the tarmac...Bloke and his mate very apologetic and helped me up and managed to hobble home...

Sitting here now with right wrist hurting, left arm hard to bend and left leg mega sore when putting weight on it...

Don't fancy A&E as nothing 'appears' to be broken , is that the right course or should I go ?

Being 57 and helper to a couple of oldies I think that's it for biking outside unfortunately...

Thinking that Peloton the safe way now...If anyone had good advice on that it would be much appreciated cheers

Hopefully youre ok - but I would get checked out. Get to Lewes A&E if possible - youll be seen a lot quicker.

Fingers crossed it wasnt either of my mates - they both walk their dogs down the Oval 🤞

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

sorry to see this, I would avise getting yourself checked out though, just to be on the safe side. It seems that the biggest danger in cycling is now external factors outside the riders controll- pot holes, other road users, wayward pets, pedsestrians, all combining to make life hazardous for cyclists almost everywhere. I dont know what the answer is other than cycling specvific parks like the mountain bike centres in Wales. There was one proposed for the old cement works in Shoreham, but that seems to have gone very quiet.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Hopefully youre ok - but I would get checked out. Get to Lewes A&E if possible - youll be seen a lot quicker.

Fingers crossed it wasnt either of my mates - they both walk their dogs down the Oval 🤞
Thanks so much for the Lewes tip...

I went today after a week of not really getting better and after very quick check-up and x-ray told ive got a left broken elbow and right fractured wrist...

Got a sling for the elbow and glove type bandage for wrist...

Unfortunately called a day on outdoor cycling tho kept bike and bought a turbo trainer and years sub to Zwift to keep going without encountering all the aggravation you get on the road/cycle paths...Hopefully I'll like it though nothing can replace being out in the air...Walks on the Down from now on

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks so much for the Lewes tip...

I went today after a week of not really getting better and after very quick check-up and x-ray told ive got a left broken elbow and right fractured wrist...

Got a sling for the elbow and glove type bandage for wrist...

Unfortunately called a day on outdoor cycling tho kept bike and bought a turbo trainer and years sub to Zwift to keep going without encountering all the aggravation you get on the road/cycle paths...Hopefully I'll like it though nothing can replace being out in the air...Walks on the Down from now on
Good to hear you got it checked out, but sorry you've suffered some breaks 😞 At least the Lions are giving you something to smile about atm.
I have a few friends who use Zwift and they love it during the winter....but dont give up on the outdoor riding during the spring / summer. I hate being on the road these days, so basically do a nice, easy 17 mile loop up over Telscombe Tye to Lewes and back on the new gravel paths along the river & by Swanborough Lakes etc - barely touch a road, or see another person out there sometimes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone going to Rome?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Good to hear you got it checked out, but sorry you've suffered some breaks 😞 At least the Lions are giving you something to smile about atm.
I have a few friends who use Zwift and they love it during the winter....but dont give up on the outdoor riding during the spring / summer. I hate being on the road these days, so basically do a nice, easy 17 mile loop up over Telscombe Tye to Lewes and back on the new gravel paths along the river & by Swanborough Lakes etc - barely touch a road, or see another person out there sometimes.
There are lots of little routes on tarmac / concrete but off road. Old Parish Lane (twixt Ovingdean and Woodingdean); through Woodvale Crem, Ditchling Road, Stanmer to Woodingdean etc. Hope you're getting out again @The Lemming Stomper .

I broke my leg coming off on the Downs in 2010 and got back on it 9 months later, rode to the exact place to excise the demon. I am more wary now and dont use SPDs but it's worth it for the gloriousness on our back door step.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here