Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good stuff! Great support around you from loved ones is massive and will help see you through I'm sure. Can be helpful to have targets to aim for too, so long as we don't got too hung up about delays in meeting them, or even rearranging them completely.

Like I say, none of us knows what the future may bring, so you never know what might be possible again, regarding getting back to exactly the type of cycling you did before. Early days and all that.

Good luck (y)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Today I have had to make the (for me) very hard decision to stop riding. Cycling has been a major part of my life for the past 15 years, and after 58 000 miles, has become part of who I am. Its my exercise, my thinking time, my "me" time. Its my social life in part, and it has kept me sane in some very hard times

Following a couple of years where I have been involved in two car accidents due entirley due to bad driving, and a crash two weeks ago that left me with a shattered femur, a week in hospital, and a right upper leg that is literally more metal and screws than bone, and will take up to 9 months to recover from, I have decided even if I am physically able to (likley but not 100% sure thing)enough is enough. I have used up my cats nine lives.

I have no idea what to do to fill the void that this will leave in my life.

To some it seems a no brainer, my physical health and well being have to take priority over a stupid bike ride, but for me its not that easy. I am getting emotional just writting this, but I need somehow to get it down, not for sympathy or likes, but somehow to see it written makes it feel more real.

So forgive me my indulgent post. Its part of me saying goodbye to something that helps define me. For those of you that I have ridden with occasionally, thank you for your company.

The cycling community in all its guises is fantastic, I will miss it all so very much
Really bad news so sorry to hear it.

Hopefully things will feel better as time moves on.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
@nickbrighton that is such a sad read. Can I suggest that you consider a turbo or such like? It will help your rehab then keep you trim. I have upped my static training of late and am feeling more healthy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
@nickbrighton sorry to hear about the finale to your riding days. Hopefully you’ll find another exercise and interest. Wishing you a full recovery.

I was going to post here the other day about the deterioration in driving standards. I say that as both a car driver and a fitness rides cyclist. Way beyond the lazy stereotype of SUV drivers. An old bag almost took me out a couple of weeks ago where Glen Rise meets Valley Road Brighton. She jumped the give way sign/markings. Out of shock, I explicitly let my feelings known. I saw a driver poking their car bonnet out almost take down a skinny Lycra cyclist on Dyke Road Ave. Goodness know how he stayed on two wheels.

I cycle conservatively putting my welfare first due to the idiots.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Today I have had to make the (for me) very hard decision to stop riding. Cycling has been a major part of my life for the past 15 years, and after 58 000 miles, has become part of who I am. Its my exercise, my thinking time, my "me" time. Its my social life in part, and it has kept me sane in some very hard times

Following a couple of years where I have been involved in two car accidents due entirley due to bad driving, and a crash two weeks ago that left me with a shattered femur, a week in hospital, and a right upper leg that is literally more metal and screws than bone, and will take up to 9 months to recover from, I have decided even if I am physically able to (likley but not 100% sure thing)enough is enough. I have used up my cats nine lives.

To some it seems a no brainer, my physical health and well being have to take priority over a stupid bike ride, but for me its not that easy. I am getting emotional just writting this, but I need somehow to get it down, not for sympathy or likes, but somehow to see it written makes it feel more real.

So forgive me my indulgent post. Its part of me saying goodbye to something that helps define me. For those of you that I have ridden with occasionally, thank you for your company.

The cycling community in all its guises is fantastic, I will miss it all so very much
A couple of options, spin classes, yeah yeah I know, boring. if I say it quickly Stat won’t hear me. Off road riding. Still a bit of danger involved, but no knobhead trying to kill you in cars. Speedy recovery Nick.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not sure how many others use it, but I frequently use the gravel trail that runs from Woodingdean school up / down to Ovingdean. Its a lovely path to cycle or walk along, with great views over the Downs etc. & perfectly blends in with its surroundings.
However - I've just seen that the council have decided to do some "improvements", and are closing it on Oct 25 for 3 / 4 months while they redo it, as per the Falmer cycle path leading down to the Amex.
Usually I would say "great, another safe lane for cyclists" but in this instance I just dont think they should do it. A big wide tarmac strip through the fields will A: look awful, and B: encourage cyclists to go way too fast down there (those that bother to use it when its finished). I wasn't keen on the Falmer one being tarmacked tbh as it was a lovely natural gravel path originally, but at least that runs parallel to the road so doesn't look out of place too much.

By surfacing the Old Parish Lane pathway, I expect fewer dog walkers / horse riders will actually use it - even though they are also putting in a soft verge for horses. Just seems an odd decision when its perfectly suitable to ride / walk etc as it is, unless you're on a super-duper race bike - which you would probably stay on the road with anyway, knowing what club roadies are like.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure how many others use it, but I frequently use the gravel trail that runs from Woodingdean school up / down to Ovingdean. Its a lovely path to cycle or walk along, with great views over the Downs etc. & perfectly blends in with its surroundings.
However - I've just seen that the council have decided to do some "improvements", and are closing it on Oct 25 for 3 / 4 months while they redo it, as per the Falmer cycle path leading down to the Amex.
Usually I would say "great, another safe lane for cyclists" but in this instance I just dont think they should do it. A big wide tarmac strip through the fields will A: look awful, and B: encourage cyclists to go way too fast down there (those that bother to use it when its finished). I wasn't keen on the Falmer one being tarmacked tbh as it was a lovely natural gravel path originally, but at least that runs parallel to the road so doesn't look out of place too much.

By surfacing the Old Parish Lane pathway, I expect fewer dog walkers / horse riders will actually use it - even though they are also putting in a soft verge for horses. Just seems an odd decision when its perfectly suitable to ride / walk etc as it is, unless you're on a super-duper race bike - which you would probably stay on the road with anyway, knowing what club roadies are like.

I’ve walked that before. Paradise. No vehicle noise, views of a shimmering sea, wildlife aplenty, far from the madding crowd. Yet next to a city.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I feel for you Nick. Here’s hoping for a good recovery.

I have virtually given up road biking in the UK. I spend a lot of time in the French Pyrenees, and get out on the road extensively there, but it’s just not worth it here.

I still cycle a fair bit here though. I have very much embraced the dark side - when in the UK I am a MTB rider.

I cannot recommend it enough. The trails around Sussex are glorious, and it is safe! The only danger is how gung ho you are prepared to be.

Don’t give up on the bike - change your focus.

🙂

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When I lived in Ovingdean I used it as part of my commute into town every day.

It’s not unique though - there are so many beautiful off road routes around our city.

My parents have lived there for 40 years bar a brief gap, me too in a couple of spells.

Interesting. Would one of the others be east of Ditchling Road? With BHCC rewilding the golf course, have they got anything lined up for biking?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My parents have lived there for 40 years bar a brief gap, me too in a couple of spells.

Interesting. Would one of the others be east of Ditchling Road? With BHCC rewilding the golf course, have they got anything lined up for biking?
Sounds good, I live near the bottom of Ditchling Road now. I will investigate.

I’m talking about all manner of trails, some linked to the South Downs Way (SDW).

Favourites include SDW to north Patcham past The Chatree, SDW to The Tighe, the ‘strada bianchi behind Woodingdean, down into Saltdean and a climb from next to Sussex University, via a farm (?) up to the SDW.

But get on the MTB, get off the roads and you discover so much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m talking about all manner of trails, some linked to the South Downs Way (SDW).

Favourites include SDW to north Patcham past The Chatree, SDW to The Tighe, the ‘strada bianchi behind Woodingdean, down into Saltdean and a climb from next to Sussex University, via a farm (?) up to the SDW.

I’ll have to buy one when cash permits :smile: . Keep spending it on my passion skiing.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I took a mate out last Saturday for a 60 km ride, almost all off road, and he loved it. Hes pretty much 100% "fast" roadie & Triathlete, even though he has an MTB and gravel bike too, but he was amazed at how much more you see when you're going slower, and along trails where you can actually stop to look and take photos...Duh :facepalm:

Theres a short trail I took him along between Ditchling and East Chiltington which is one of my favourite stretches of gravel - hit it on a lovely warm sunny day, and its absolutely breathtaking with views back towards the Downs, a couple of tucked away churches, and just the sounds of nature. Wonderful.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Heard Cav say its the toughest route hes ever seen?? Hopefully he can grab his stage win quick and climb off before it gets too brutal! 😁

Watched some of the presentation last night, and it looks set up for another Pog / Ving battle to the end. Never been a huge fan of the final stage on to the Champs Elysees if Im honest, so it'll be a refreshing change of scenery seeing it roll around Monaco & Nice for the last couple of days. The hills & countryside around there are absolutely stunning.

If anyone is thinking of going over to watch the race, I can recommend heading to the stage start in Orleans, especially with a rest day there the day before. The cathedral is spectacular, especially if you catch the light show projected on it at night - its a beautiful city, and easy to get to. One of the small suburb communities (La Chapelle St Mesmin) is twinned with Newhaven, & its a lovely area with the Loire river & surrounding countryside on the doorstep. You also have Chateau de Chambord just down the road (they pass about 10km away by the looks of it on the TDF), which was said to be the inspiration for the Beauty & the Beast castle.

fa2aa406807348af8f1647bf9654e940.full.image.jpg
73.jpg

Will be a very different finale after watching a procession into Paris every year since 1990....but maybe its something they can continue to do, every now and again, to break up the monotony?

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I took a mate out last Saturday for a 60 km ride, almost all off road, and he loved it. Hes pretty much 100% "fast" roadie & Triathlete, even though he has an MTB and gravel bike too, but he was amazed at how much more you see when you're going slower, and along trails where you can actually stop to look and take photos...Duh :facepalm:

Theres a short trail I took him along between Ditchling and East Chiltington which is one of my favourite stretches of gravel - hit it on a lovely warm sunny day, and its absolutely breathtaking with views back towards the Downs, a couple of tucked away churches, and just the sounds of nature. Wonderful.
1000_F_204834705_4zlmNngoSNdRbTEGAvTcSnUUjtQE4ocz.jpg

This is just for Stat. I miss him on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here