Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The cobbles in Lewes did for my rear rim which ‘pulls’ to one side for the length of 7 or 8 spokes. As a complete novice at straightening, I’ve watched YouTube videos where the issue is across 3 spokes so you adjust the central spoke and the two either side, but where do I start with 7 or 8? Any advice appreciated or it’ll be the bike shop tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Bike shop tomorrow - that is the darkest of all dark arts.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Cycle to work scheme opens up again at the end of the month and I'm currently talking myself out of my own man maths that a new full suspension ebike makes complete sense.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Afternoon cyclophiles. Do any of you have any experience on decent routes through Somerset/Dorset? Our postponed lads Giro d'Italia has now been supplanted to (probably) the West Country, and I'\m looking for nice routes going S/SW out of Bath down towards anywhere between Swanage and Exmouth sort of way. Roads & routes only.

I remain, as ever, etc
MBH

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sorry [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] but that's well off my manor.

Good news v Bad news:

My aris is fine but the moobs are back.
Post service brakes are ace, so much so I thought the levers had frozen. I must have been close to a pre service 'uh oh' there.
New pump is ace, shame I had to use it.
Never have I got a tyre on of off so simply. I must have looked what I was doing. I guess down to stretching from the multiple on and offs a few months ago.

Confidence issues with the rear tyre are back. Last summer I ran for ages with a colourful sight through an ever increasing gap in the rear rubber layer. I squeezed a big sharp stone out of it this morning so have another compromised spot. They don't seem to make Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 Road Tyres any more. And recommendations? 10, what are you running now?

I need a near 'hunger strike' diet truth be told.

Dec 29, 2011
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking to buy a second hand bike to get around town but I'm not quite sure how to start.

My experience with bikes is mostly their tyres are always popping or my friends are spending decent money on a bike only to have it nicked a few weeks later. I'm a tall,heavy-set fellow and find that heavy pressing on the pedals often causes 'slipping' of the chain and I bang my knee against the handle bars.

My question is, where can I buy a decent bike that will allowed me to get around Brighton, without the chain slipping when I'm powering up hills, and without the tyres deflating often? Can this be achieved with a budget of £100? Thank you

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking to buy a second hand bike to get around town but I'm not quite sure how to start.

My experience with bikes is mostly their tyres are always popping or my friends are spending decent money on a bike only to have it nicked a few weeks later. I'm a tall,heavy-set fellow and find that heavy pressing on the pedals often causes 'slipping' of the chain and I bang my knee against the handle bars.

My question is, where can I buy a decent bike that will allowed me to get around Brighton, without the chain slipping when I'm powering up hills, and without the tyres deflating often? Can this be achieved with a budget of £100? Thank you

Do you currently have a bike ?
Have you had a look at the local selling pages gumtree FB etc ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Unfortunately for you it's still very much the wrong time for 'cheap' bikes.

As Mares says beyond the usual free papers, Gumtree etc, there's also a bike co operative in Brighton, but everything about it escapes me now.

There's also at least 1 secondhand bike shop in Worthing, I assume there must be one in Brighton.

Edit https://brightonbikehub.org/

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Sorry [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] but that's well off my manor.

Good news v Bad news:

My aris is fine but the moobs are back.
Post service brakes are ace, so much so I thought the levers had frozen. I must have been close to a pre service 'uh oh' there.
New pump is ace, shame I had to use it.
Never have I got a tyre on of off so simply. I must have looked what I was doing. I guess down to stretching from the multiple on and offs a few months ago.

Confidence issues with the rear tyre are back. Last summer I ran for ages with a colourful sight through an ever increasing gap in the rear rubber layer. I squeezed a big sharp stone out of it this morning so have another compromised spot. They don't seem to make Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2 Road Tyres any more. And recommendations? 10, what are you running now?

I need a near 'hunger strike' diet truth be told.

GP 4000’s don’t worry about what others think of Continental. Best tyre I’ve had.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

A decent bike for around £100 is ambitious.

The chain slippage is almost certainly a result of the chain set being old and worn - it doesn't happen if your components are in good condition and well serviced. If you have a bike, it could be that spending money on this would be your best bet.

If tyres are pumped to the correct pressure, they are also pretty long lasting. Obviously, road bike (racing bike in old parlance) tyres are more fragile, but mountain bike tyres are very sturdy.

Brighton Bike Hub, that Stat mentioned, are really good guys - helpful and knowledgeable.

Once you have a bike, you have to look after it, regularly checking the parts that you mentioned. If it is looked after well, it will last you for years!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On reflection, I was being overly harsh.

In fact, the real reason is so that Dave can claim yet another marginal gain over every other team. :wink:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ordered a new helmet from Planet X on Wednesday - arrived this morning - sent back already.

How can a helmet which is the same brand as my others, and marked up as the same size, be way too small to fit on my head? I measured the cradle on its max 'open' extension, and it was 30mm smaller than my other lid.

Really disappointed.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Has anyone been around King Alfred's Way yet? I'm hoping to do it this summer on 28mm tyres - so it'll need to be dry under wheel!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The big question on this glorious sunny morn, is..........

Do I pull the trigger, and take the plunge.....?? ???

xuy9ko1910w41.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fishing tackle on a Cinelli! :ohmy:

Very nice colour scheme though :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Fishing tackle on a Cinelli! :ohmy:

Very nice colour scheme though :thumbsup:

Wouldve loved it to come with a Campag G/S as its Columbus tubing as well (it did have Campag back in 2018) but 105 is a step up from my Tiagra anyway, and better than the SRAM 1x11 setup they used in 2019.

The photo above isn't the exact one, but they have reverted back to Shimano 2x11 on stock bikes now.

Tredz had one bike left, in my size.....and I have bought it.....:drool:

Now I just need to sell the Orbea!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I see it's a steel frame. Be interested to see how you get on with it.

Tbh, we all grew up on steel frames before the alu / carbon explosion didn't we, so Im not expecting it to be wildly different to what I've had, & experienced before. My graveller is a steel frame and is really comfy, and I have nothing but good memories of my old 531 Joe Waugh road bike when I was younger.

Im pretty old skool when it comes to bikes, and have never been really tempted to buy a carbon bike (even though some are gorgeous!) Plain and simple steel is more me! :lolol:

If I get out tomorrow for a first ride I will report back on how it is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here