Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Changed the tyres already, but still need to set stuff up before riding it properly

20210604_141846-01.jpeg.

LOVE IT.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just got to note this somewhere, so tough ploppers geeks, I'm gonna hide it here while everyone is looking t'other way.

Jnr couldn't leave school fast enough, it was all we could do to stop him burning his uniform in the playground.
He'd been accepted into AITC and he was unbelievably happy, but they then disbanded the course.

For the last year, or so, he's been odd jobbing in the grounds of a local estate and loves it.
.The drawback being his need for vocational training (more school).

Through his football club he landed himself a work trial with a company doing new build estate upkeep.
More money and only a year at 'school'.

He did one day, said he'd do a further 3.
According to the boss he worked bloody hard, up at 05:30 every day, home late, all off his own back.
They'd 'take him back in a heartbeat'.

In asking how he was finding it, I said he doesn't seem to enjoy the work as much as on the estate.
He said he didn't, so we helped him say "no" to that job and we're full steam ahead into 'estate management and game keeping'.

Basically my 16 year old lad got up at 05:30 last week, to work bloody hard at a job he didn't enjoy, because he said he would.
Probably unfairly I feel like that makes him a bit of a rarity.

So proud of my little (6ft 2) boy, and rather enjoyed telling him so.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I've just got to note this somewhere, so tough ploppers geeks, I'm gonna hide it here while everyone is looking t'other way.

Jnr couldn't leave school fast enough, it was all we could do to stop him burning his uniform in the playground.
He'd been accepted into AITC and he was unbelievably happy, but they then disbanded the course.

For the last year, or so, he's been odd jobbing in the grounds of a local estate and loves it.
.The drawback being his need for vocational training (more school).

Through his football club he landed himself a work trial with a company doing new build estate upkeep.
More money and only a year at 'school'.

He did one day, said he'd do a further 3.
According to the boss he worked bloody hard, up at 05:30 every day, home late, all off his own back.
They'd 'take him back in a heartbeat'.

In asking how he was finding it, I said he doesn't seem to enjoy the work as much as on the estate.
He said he didn't, so we helped him say "no" to that job and we're full steam ahead into 'estate management and game keeping'.

Basically my 16 year old lad got up at 05:30 last week, to work bloody hard at a job he didn't enjoy, because he said he would.
Probably unfairly I feel like that makes him a bit of a rarity.

So proud of my little (6ft 2) boy, and rather enjoyed telling him so.

Sounds like you raised him right, right to be proud.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just watching Sir Chris Hoy's Secret World Of Japanese Bicycle Racing on BBC2. Fascinating insight into the keirin culture. Sir CH was there in 2005 so he is an expert guide. Oh, and one of the few sports it's legal to bet on in Japan. Looks a bit like Hove Dogs with humans :lol:

WELL worth a watch on catch-up :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mountain biking on the red button at the moment. Brutal course, great viewing.

Mathieu Van Der Poel, who was one of the stories of the Tour de France (held yellow, won a stage, is Raymond Poulidor's grandson), had a horrible fall from a jump but is back in the race, albeit a minute down.

Tom Pidcock looking good for GB.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Mountain biking on the red button at the moment. Brutal course, great viewing.

Mathieu Van Der Poel, who was one of the stories of the Tour de France (held yellow, won a stage, is Raymond Poulidor's grandson), had a horrible fall from a jump but is back in the race, albeit a minute down.

Tom Pidcock looking good for GB.

Was just going to post the same! Pidcock is going really well and could be looking at Gold with a couple of laps left.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

My Dutch part of me wondering who upset the cycling gods for the team...

Made up for Pidcock of cause...Fingers crossed his bike behaves itself

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Brilliant from Pidcock, and a real boost for mountain biking in the UK. Absolutely superb ride.

I wish they had the Downhill in the Olympics. Imagine how well known Rachel Atherton, one of our greatest ever sportspeople, would be.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Brilliant from Pidcock, and a real boost for mountain biking in the UK. Absolutely superb ride.

I wish they had the Downhill in the Olympics. Imagine how well known Rachel Atherton, one of our greatest ever sportspeople, would be.

100% this. She would be a household name by now had it been part of the Olympics....and G as well I would hope.

Dominant ride from Pidcock today. I missed the first part so didnt see MVDP crash - was he up front when he stacked it? Watching the race earlier really made me think that I should get the MTB out & start using it again....

mugstud

Jan 28, 2012
100% this. She would be a household name by now had it been part of the Olympics....and G as well I would hope.

Dominant ride from Pidcock today. I missed the first part so didnt see MVDP crash - was he up front when he stacked it? Watching the race earlier really made me think that I should get the MTB out & start using it again....

VdP was in the lead group when he came off. He very nearly took out Pidcock, who did very well to avoid colliding into him or his bike. He was the only rider out of the leading contenders not using a dropper post so that would have made things difficult on the first lap when there's a bit of congestion and you're likely to be coming into it a bit slower than you'd like and need to move around on the bike a bit more.

I'd love to see DH in the Olympics, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Would be nice if Paris selected it as a test event as the French are very dominant in DH right now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
VdP was in the lead group when he came off. He very nearly took out Pidcock, who did very well to avoid colliding into him or his bike. He was the only rider out of the leading contenders not using a dropper post so that would have made things difficult on the first lap when there's a bit of congestion and you're likely to be coming into it a bit slower than you'd like and need to move around on the bike a bit more.

I'd love to see DH in the Olympics, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. Would be nice if Paris selected it as a test event as the French are very dominant in DH right now.

Incredible that he didn't have a dropper post on a course like that...or indeed in any MTB race in 2021. Why would he make a decision like that?

It was sad to see him eventually succumbing to his injuries. He really is a great cyclist, like Pidcock, across so many disciplines.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

images.jpeg

Are you going for solo staring into the middle distance ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here