Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for the food for thought [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION].

I am now leaning more towards the Halfords option. Them Voodoos would be fine. The thing is I also want a stand up paddle board. I'll never get both past the Mrs.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Thanks for the food for thought [MENTION=24884]Fignon's Ponytail[/MENTION].

I am now leaning more towards the Halfords option. Them Voodoos would be fine. The thing is I also want a stand up paddle board. I'll never get both past the Mrs.

I have exactly the same problem! Bike?...paddle board?....bike?....paddle board?....

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I have exactly the same problem! Bike?...paddle board?....bike?....paddle board?....

I know just the thing.

Our-Swan-Range.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Got to feel for Roglic in Paris-Nice....in the lead by 50+ secs going into the final day - crashes, dislocates his shoulder, pops it back in, crashes again, changes bike, and ends up finishing 3 mins down & outside the top 10.

Sensational finish to the race this year.

And as for MVDP over in the Tirreno Adriatico....absolute MACHINE.

Pogacar looking incredibly good though so far this season, & could be on for a decent defense of his TDF title.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Volta e Catalunya starts today...a beautiful stage race.

Will be interesting to see how the Yates boys do against each other - but the start list is a "who's who" of climbing talent. Carthy, Woods, Martin, Kuss, Soler, Almeida, Carapaz, Kelderman, G, and Quintana to name but a few.

Should be superb.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looks like we will have to wait another year before we see the Hell of the North again, as its highly unlikely the race will be on in a couple of weeks time due to a big surge of Covid in the region.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
That Wout van Aert is a bit useful isnt he? Superb edition of Gent Wevelgem yesterday. Would love to head out to Flanders one year to ride the area forever linked to the "bergs & beer".
Not sure I would get up many of them after a few Duvals - but would be fun trying :lolol:

Great to see Adam Yates top of the pile in the Volta a Catalunya too, as well as G picking up a decent podium place. Certainly looks to have better form right now than hes shown the last 2 seasons.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
BTW - posted this on the book thread last week, and thought it was worth sticking here for any readers amongst us riders....well worth getting.

Riding in the Zone Rouge by Tom Isitt...."Circuit des Champs de Bataille".

A remarkable true story of a cycling race that was held (just the once as it was so tough) around the battlefields of WWI just 6 months after the guns ceased firing....organised by a French newspaper which needed something to boost reader numbers to pre-war levels.

Over 80 riders started, but the horrendous weather and lack of proper "roads" meant many gave up en route. Many riders were also ex Belgian & French soldiers that had only just been released from service after fighting in the same areas as they were now competing.

Extraordinary to read how they went through the Somme etc. past burnt out tanks, bombed out towns, makeshift grave sites etc...basically still "no-go zones", whilst riding approx 200km stages every day that could take up to 21 hours in some cases...with no assistance allowed, and one 5 minute official break along the way each day. Just horrific.

An excellent read so far. The author rode the route himself in 2016, so you get a first hand account of his ride, the facts and records of the actual race, interspersed with "scenes" that he has imagined may have happened.

20210324_070157_resized.jpg

And I thought riding the potholed lanes of Sussex in a damp winter were bad....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I remember the good old days when I used to talk to myself on here about races.

Good to see someone else keeping the tradition alive :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do tell...wouldn't mind some cycling chat somewhere else as there seems to be FA interest on here these days!

Cycling news. Sub forum - Professional road racing :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That Wout van Aert is a bit useful isnt he? Superb edition of Gent Wevelgem yesterday. Would love to head out to Flanders one year to ride the area forever linked to the "bergs & beer".
Not sure I would get up many of them after a few Duvals - but would be fun trying :lolol:

Great to see Adam Yates top of the pile in the Volta a Catalunya too, as well as G picking up a decent podium place. Certainly looks to have better form right now than hes shown the last 2 seasons.

Myself and another NSC'er have ridden both the GV and E3 Harelbeke sportives. I can thoroughly recommend both, especially E3. The GV one is not really worth doing the full length, unless you're set on killing yourself in the wind up to the coast and back. The short version still gives you both ascents of the Kemmelberg and the other bergs in Heuvelland. But in E3 you basically get a mini Tour of Flanders parcours but without the extra cost and huge crowds.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Tomorrow should see me at my highest mileage for a 30 March. The temperature swing made me think about not commuting by bike. Its scheduled to be fukken cold when I set out but 19 for the return journey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh bollox.

AITC haven't got the funding to run the BTEC course they had accepted jnr on too.
A bit shoddy but what can you do?

I'm just about to tell him his main motivation in life has just vanished.

Wish me luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here