Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Quote from BBC blog:

"
FT: Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton
Carlos Baleba and Jack Hinshelwood registered the 100th and 101st appearances by teenagers for Brighton in the Premier League in 2023.
It means the Seagulls are the first club to hit the 100-appearances mark in a calendar year for teens in the competition’s history."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry, but there's a bit of an OTT reaction to what RDZ said. Muzza nailed it when he thought that it was said in the heat of the post-match interview. Yes, RDZ is probably looking for reinforcements, but look at the injury list. A lot of the players wouldn't be near the starting 11 - or playing regularly - if the squad was fully fit. And they are still EIGHTH, FFS!

In context, he wasn't throwing his toys out of the pram, just saying it how it is. The Sky anchor tried to stir it, but it really wasn't that bad.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We’re also lacking March, Enciso, Fati & Estupinan; have 2 wingers that look jaded with little competition for their places; Welbeck’s been missing and showed tonight why that’s been a big loss plus Ferguson has a bad spell with all the pressure on his young shoulders.

I make us 9 points down on equivalent fixtures last season. It’d be 3 if we’d put the Fulham, Sheff U & Burnley games to bed - which i’m pretty sure we would have done with a couple of those attackers fit.

Top half and in the last 16 with the schedule and injuries is a bloody good effort.
Yes, all very true.

Just a little frustrating to watch ATM.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think that RDZ’s main frustration is not having a ready replacement for Caicedo, but it was he who signed Dahoud. He’s clearly not happy having to play Baleba.
Caicedo left a season too soon, I think everyone agrees with that. How you prevent it from happening once the player turns into a twat is much more problematic.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did anyone catch the XG?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Happy Christmas to you to but that first half was a clusterfuck and first halves have turned into a nightmare for RDZ, he needs to send the team out to pressure the opposition from the off, not to f*** about passing backwards when we are on the attack!
One man’s clusterfuck is another’s less than average, injury ravaged, over rotated incoherent mehfest.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The only frustration I heard in that interview was that we gave away another poor goal but that will happen when we have young players. "It (signing young players and making them great players) is the secret of this club" is not a negative comment about the club at all imo.
Edit. Although the Baleba comment was a tad harsh on the lad.
He threw Baleba under the bus actually... not good management technique.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry, but that's a bit of an OTT reaction to what RDZ said. Muzza nailed it when he thought that it was said in the heat of the post-match interview. Yes, RDZ is probably looking for reinforcements, but look at the injury list. A lot of the players wouldn't be near the starting 11 - or playing regularly - if the squad was fully fit. And they are still EIGHTH, FFS!

In context, he wasn't throwing his toys out of the pram, just saying it how it is. The Sky anchor tried to stir it, but it really wasn't that bad.
To be honest quite a few wouldn’t even been in the squad let alone the starting 11

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Once again I say thank you Danny Welbeck. SUPERB. Not sure why Hinshelwood was sub'd, ok he played everywhere but right back defence but we didn't need him there CP sat back from the moment we gifted them a goal. Seriously why would anyone wanna watch the dross CP serve up regularly. Feels like 2 points dropped as they were awful. But its a point chalked up and if WHU balls up we may not lose much ground. As I caught Welbeck on the radio post match interviewed he said the obvious its the PL where we need to improve and take more 3 points than 1

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Quote from BBC blog:

"
FT: Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton
Carlos Baleba and Jack Hinshelwood registered the 100th and 101st appearances by teenagers for Brighton in the Premier League in 2023.
It means the Seagulls are the first club to hit the 100-appearances mark in a calendar year for teens in the competition’s history."
That is a stat and a half

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
One man’s clusterfuck is another’s less than average, injury ravaged, over rotated incoherent mehfest.
Nah, they have all had enough game time to be better than that first half. Stop wearing the RDZ “woah is us” cloak :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Kalvin Phillips on loan would do the job
Good shout. If City aren't going to play him, they should let him get some game time before the Euros. We play good football that would work for a City player, and we're no challenge for City's PL position.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Once again I say thank you Danny Welbeck. SUPERB. Not sure why Hinshelwood was sub'd, ok he played everywhere but right back defence but we didn't need him there CP say back from the moment we gifted them a goal. Seriously why would anyone wanna watch the dross they serve up regularly. Feels like 2 points dropped as they were awful. But its a point haled up and if WHU balls up we may not lose much ground. As I caught Welbeck on the radio post match interviewed he said the obvious its the PL where we need to improve and take more 3 points than 1
I’ve read this a few times. Hodgson sets up very similar to how we played under Hughton in the Premier League.

As for why they’d want to watch it, that’s because it’s their team that they love. I watched us at the Goldstone and Priestfield, rock bottom of the football league and playing horrific football. Would I rather we were playing tiki-taka? Of course. But we didn’t have the ability to do that. Neither do Palace.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I did not like that from RDZ. Saying we have to play young players and threw Baleba under the bus. We have Veltman and Pervis injured who bring experience in defence. Then we have March out for the season. Welbeck and moder not fit enough to start.

We can’t have a squad with 20 peak level footballers.

I love RDZ but that was wrong. Hopefully just a “please can we sign someone boss”

Roy saying Brighton like city and Liverpool hardest to defend against will go down well with palace fans.
Baleba has great physical attributes but he gets caught out playing as a pivot because his first touch is not good. If he improves that it will help him receiving on the half turn and making more progressive passes.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Baleba has great physical attributes but he gets caught out playing as a pivot because his first touch is not good. If he improves that it will help him receiving on the half turn and making more progressive passes.
He also never looks like he’s trying. I know he probably is, just comes across as lazy though

SlickHenry

Apr 10, 2020
Not really sure what to make of RDZ comments about young players and focus on Baleba. Sure we would like some premier league ready players but their wages demands would blow apart the wage structure. We have a great mix of youth and experience in my view and surely he knew what he was signing up for with the club’s vision. Even managed to land a world class player in Fati on a shrewd loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here