Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crystal Palace vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
It might be the acoustics of the place are terrible - noise seems to be sucked out of everywhere. At times I could see the Holmesdale moving but hardly any noise. The Palace fans alongside us in the goal stand and to our left were certainly quiet. A Palace friend of mine watching the game on Sky messaged me in the second half saying he thought the atmosphere coming through on TV was dire. I think with their team sitting back to defend and us having all the ball in the second half the Palace fans were knowing what was coming - the inevitable 1-1. A tough watch for them that they endured in depressed silence
Only a smattering of empty seats going into injury time, and on a 'school' night approaching 10pm. Respect where it's due

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I was uncomfortable with RDZ calling out Baleba in public, but on the other hand he's really praised Baleba publicly in the past. And I think it's just Roberto being incredibly honest. I really enjoyed the two post-match manager interviews....RDZ just being RDZ, and Roy saying it like it is, without having to worry whether he pisses anyone off. Unlike 90% of other managers who just reel out the platitudes.

And, looking at the quotes from last night, Roberto isn't entirely dissing Baleba:

“Welbeck is different to Baleba. Pascal Gross is different to Baleba. But Baleba is the future of the club. Adingra the same, Evan Ferguson the same, Facundo Buonanotte the same. Yes, I can say we lost two points but the truth is not this. The truth is we are playing a lot of games and to keep this level we have to play better."

Mont-Colt65

Sep 18, 2023
Mitoma and Adingra need some time on the bench imo, both were absolute shite tonight. As an aside why do the oppositions corners and free kicks around the box always look more threatening than ours. Set piece coach OUT :wink:

RDZ doesn't consider substituting these wingers during the match, which means they have to play 90mins+ every match. In the case of Mitoma, he had to play even when he was not fully recovered.

In your opinion who do you think RDZ chooses to replace them and plays their replacements to play the full 90 minutes every match? RDZ is rather rigid, and doesn't look like he has alternative tactics, other than insisting on the current leaky, risky way of playing. How do you expect overworked wingers to be brilliant when the most players were knackered and the team weren't playing well?​

While I’m a bit grumpy about our first half performance (boring no-energy football, comedy gift goal), overall I’m positive about the evening. Support was terrific all evening and it was good to be in this special atmosphere for the first time since the play off semi final. We did play well in the second half. A very kind Albion fan with a SE postcode who I randomly met at the end guided me and my son through the kettle so I had a leisurely walk back to Norwood Jcn via the club shop to get a programme given there were none available in the prehistoric operation of a ground. I’ll be back again next season as we really have them at our mercy at the moment as long as we get the details right

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
RDZ doesn't consider substituting these wingers during the match, which means they have to play 90mins+ every match. In the case of Mitoma, he had to play even when he was not fully recovered.

In your opinion who do you think RDZ chooses to replace them and plays their replacements to play the full 90 minutes every match? RDZ is rather rigid, and doesn't look like he has alternative tactics, other than insisting on the current leaky, risky way of playing. How do you expect overworked wingers to be brilliant when the most players were knackered and the team weren't playing well?​
It’s not my problem though is it, but RDZ needs to solve it if both are worn out a few months into the season? They were both pretty useless but they were doubled up on so other players would have been free, so alternative ways of attacking need to be considered. He’s a bright guy, I’m sure he’ll solve it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The difference here is Bart is a goalkeeper, Steele is a footballer.
I’d say Bart’s a footballer. He’s just young and making mistakes. But let’s be abundantly clear, last night there were footballing mistakes all over the pitch in the first half, with Gross culpable for our goal and Van Hecke having a nightmare first half with the ball - that’s just two specific mentions, but there were plenty more.

And let’s not be confused, Steele is prone to making mistakes with the ball at his feet.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I’d say Bart’s a footballer. He’s just young and making mistakes. But let’s be abundantly clear, last night there were footballing mistakes all over the pitch in the first half, with Gross culpable for our goal and Van Hecke having a nightmare first half with the ball - that’s just two specific mentions, but there were plenty more.

And let’s not be confused, Steele is prone to making mistakes with the ball at his feet.
Any keeper asked to play as much *foot*ball as RdZ insists on would be. Steele has created a lot more for us with his feet so far

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Only a smattering of empty seats going into injury time, and on a 'school' night approaching 10pm. Respect where it's due
That might have something to do with there being no 'school' the next day :shrug:

That and not having the travel/connection issues that we do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still actually buzzing at them f***ing it up and Welbs saving Christmas…!

The Grinch who stole Palace’s Christmas! I like it

Nicks

Look at Henderson last night and he failed to catch a ball all night and was lucky to get away with the one that hit Welbz.
His distribution was shocking as he just played it out of play, straight to our centre Backs or long to Bart.

I think we are blessed with two top keepers and also remember Bart is stil very young for a top keeper.

Not sure where to post this so I will put it here.

Guardian
21/12/2023

The Football Daily Christmas Awards 2023​

THE MARTIN LEWIS AWARD FOR MONEY-SAVING EXPERTISE​

Brighton, whose secret transfer algorithm continues to turn water into Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grand Cru 1945. Tony Bloom, the Brighton chairman, has become the Colonel Sanders of the Premier League. The Bloomball ethos peaked in September when Brighton won handsomely at Old Trafford with a starting lineup that cost less than £20m, or [insert body part] of [insert underachieving Manchester United player]. RS

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Give it a rest you one trick pony.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I thought his comments was defending the youngsters: 'our club policy is to play youngsters, the youngsters will make mistakes, but that is how they learn, they will become stars ' is basically what i heard him say
Maybe a tiny bit more blue-tinted than how I heard it, but certainly closer to this than “blame the club for this policy as if I had it my way it’d be a team full of proven, experienced CL-level players and we’d be top of the league”.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Err school night doesn't just mean school, as I'm sure you'll be aware. Some of us are still at work.
:xmas:
Of course. And loads of people had already buggered off by yesterday, hence no 'school'. Plus the good old 'it's Christmas' schtick that goes with this time of year.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Any keeper asked to play as much *foot*ball as RdZ insists on would be. Steele has created a lot more for us with his feet so far
Created a lot more is an exaggeration and statistically untrue this season. What is true, is that Bart has conceded less in the same amount of games. His pass completion % is higher, he plays more passes, he makes more saves, he catches more crosses… neither has an assist or a key pass for this season -https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Show/England-Brighton

Basically, he’s a better keeper and actually as good with the ball at his feet. But he’s young and he makes mistakes, as Steele still does.

But you can prefer Steele if you want. I don’t personally, and I’m glad we’re trying to play the upgrade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here