Date: Thursday 21st December 2023
Kick-off: 20:00 GMT
Referee: John Brooks
Assistants: Lee Betts, Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Simon Hooper
VAR: David Coote
Additional VAR: Constantine Hatzidakis

TEAM NEWS

Crystal Palace captain Joel Ward faces a spell out with a hamstring injury sustained against Manchester City.

Jefferson Lerma missed that game with a similar issue but might feature, while manager Roy Hodgson must decide whether to start fit-again Eberechi Eze.

Brighton defender Joel Veltman could be out for up to two months because of a knee injury sustained against Arsenal.

Danny Welbeck made his return from a lengthy absence as a substitute in that match but is not yet ready to start.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Each of the past four league fixtures between these teams at Selhurst Park ended in a 1-1 draw.
  • Brighton's 1-0 home victory in the most recent meeting in March ended a seven-match Premier League winless run against Crystal Palace. Patrick Vieira was subsequently sacked as manager of the Eagles.
  • Palace's only victory in eight top-flight home games versus Brighton was by 3-2 in April 2018.
Palace
  • The Eagles have lost four consecutive Premier League home matches for the first time since a run of five from December 2016 to February 2017.
  • They have already equalled last season's final tally of five home league defeats.
  • Only three first-half goals have been scored in the eight Premier League games at Selhurst Park this season, one for Palace and two for the away side.
  • Crystal Palace's solitary win in their past 10 league fixtures was 2-0 at Burnley on 4 November (D3, L6).
  • Roy Hodgson's side are winless in all five of their midweek Premier League matches in 2023, drawing one and losing the other four without scoring.
  • Jean-Philippe Mateta can become the first Palace player to score in three consecutive league appearances since Christian Benteke's run of four in May 2021.
Albion
  • Brighton have won just two of their past 11 league matches, averaging a point per game (W2, D5, L4).
  • Their club record run of scoring in 32 consecutive league fixtures was ended by last Sunday's 2-0 away defeat against Arsenal.
  • Albion have now gone 21 successive league games without keeping a clean sheet, a new club record. They've conceded 38 goals during that period.
  • Substitutes have scored 18 top-flight goals for the Seagulls this year, an unrivalled figure in Europe's five biggest leagues.
  • Teenagers have made 99 Premier League appearances for Brighton in 2023, the most by a team in a calendar year.
  • Evan Ferguson has scored 11 Premier League goals in 2023. The most recent teenager to score more often in a calendar year was Francis Jeffers, with 12 in 1999.

Roberto De Zerbi's Palace Press Conference

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is a weird one for me. Normally this is my joint biggest game of the season along with Palace at home. But with us in Europe it doesn’t feel like that at all. Thousands of us in Amsterdam and the tension with their Ultras, Marseille at home, a must win game with a better atmosphere than most Palace games. Both bigger IMO.

And with it being Christmas and a Thursday night (boooo) it’s just sneaked up on me. I’m normally nervous for days. I’m not even nervous now.

That’s mostly because I’ve resigned myself to losing already. With no fullbacks fit and three of our best attackers long term benched we’re going to be scraping around for points in every game until February. :down:

Hopefully the lads are up for it and I know RDZ gets it but Palace must be serious favourites.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This is a weird one for me. Normally this is my joint biggest game of the season along with Palace at home. But with us in Europe it doesn’t feel like that at all. Thousands of us in Amsterdam and the tension with their Ultras, Marseille at home, a must win game with a better atmosphere than most Palace games. Both bigger IMO.

And with it being Christmas and a Thursday night (boooo) it’s just sneaked up on me. I’m normally nervous for days. I’m not even nervous now.

That’s mostly because I’ve resigned myself to losing already. With no fullbacks fit and three of our best attackers long term benched we’re going to be scraping around for points in every game until February. :down:

Hopefully the lads are up for it and I know RDZ gets it but Palace must be serious favourites.
Bookies have us as fairly strong favourites

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well, it is a derby match with fierce rivalry … We are still strong enough to beat them since they are winless since who-knows-when. Will we do so? That’s a different question. I feel good about this but no predictions here . At least our nemesis, Mr Z has gone on to pastures new… :albion2:

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
Not going to be there tonight, first time in a long time for this fixture. Pangs of regret, but confident the boys can do the job. They will sit back and try and do us on the break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here