Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace set to battle Premier League rivals for Brighton star

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If I heard Mr Bloom correctly at the Bristol fans forum, I'm sure he said that "If Burnley had come in with their final offer earlier, then it would have given us time to find a replacement". So, if Burnley did indeed match our valuation a similar bid in January could see Stephens leave. If that's the case a bidding war will be in the clubs best interest.

All true, in fact with regard to selling in January didn't Tony say "other than players we want to sell" if there's a wonderful 'got to get this guy' bidding war in excess of £10 mill going on, and in view of the fact he can walk for nothing at the end of the season. I'd imagine Tony's resolve would be severely tested. For me, as long as we can avoid any long term injuries and the possibility of picking up a suitable replacement, plus Kayal back, we can and should still get auto.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You'd turn down £200M? OK, I know they can't/won't pay that, but EVERY player has a price, so at what point between £10M and £200M do you think Tony would be likely to turn round and say, "OK then"? Because there certainly IS a point in there somewhere.

How much is the Premier League worth? We know that Stephens is professional enough to play well, so that is the deciding factor.
Who knows, if we get promoted, he may even stay with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You'd turn down £200M? OK, I know they can't/won't pay that, but EVERY player has a price, so at what point between £10M and £200M do you think Tony would be likely to turn round and say, "OK then"? Because there certainly IS a point in there somewhere.

Palace will not be offering over 10 million IMO and at that price I hope we still say no to them. I kind of hope that by January Stephens wants to see out the season here and sign a new contract should we go up, as long as TB is willing to take the gamble of getting nothing for him if we don't go up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Tony Bloom's resolve wouldn't be tested at even 15m. Brighton are currently odds on of 8/15 to get promoted, so he could bet 8m against us getting promoted and win that 15m back in May if we don't go up this year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ironically if palace had decided they wanted Stephens, in the summer, he probably would have been sold.
Now neither have a chance of getting him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So you would still turn down £200M up front? Really?

That's a silly sum to discuss as it would never happen. Bids would be in the region of 5 or 6 million, whereas the Prem money is 100 million, plus parachute payments if we came back down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's a silly sum to discuss as it would never happen. Bids would be in the region of 5 or 6 million, whereas the Prem money is 100 million, plus parachute payments if we came back down.

Not silly at all. If you read my first post, I said quite clearly that Palace couldn't/wouldn't pay that much. My question was at what point between £10M and £200M would they get their man. £200M they would (obviously!), £10M probably not. So where between those two extremes would their bid be likely to succeed? Straight question.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not silly at all. If you read my first post, I said quite clearly that Palace couldn't/wouldn't pay that much. My question was at what point between £10M and £200M would they get their man. £200M they would (obviously!), £10M probably not. So where between those two extremes would their bid be likely to succeed? Straight question.

Hypothetical question. Burnley don't offer large sums, & even Palace wouldn't spend more than 10 million for a midfielder without experience.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hypothetical question. Burnley don't offer large sums, & even Palace wouldn't spend more than 10 million for a midfielder without experience.

Well in that case, neither has a chance of getting Stephens then. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But, if they could/would offer higher (and being in the PL they've got plenty more than £10M if they want to splash it out), at what point do you think an offer might be accepted? Straight question. For some reason you seem to want to avoid it! This is a discussion forum, right?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well in that case, neither has a chance of getting Stephens then. I don't think anyone would disagree with that. But, if they could/would offer higher (and being in the PL they've got plenty more than £10M if they want to splash it out), at what point do you think an offer might be accepted? Straight question. For some reason you seem to want to avoid it! This is a discussion forum, right?

I've given my answer. You don't like it, but that's my reply. Take it or leave it.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Tony Bloom's resolve wouldn't be tested at even 15m. Brighton are currently odds on of 8/15 to get promoted,so he could bet 8m against us getting promoted and win that 15m back in May if we don't go up this year.

Other than of course no Bookmaker would take a bet of that enormity....not from you or I. And most especially from TB!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Bloom won't sell him, and Stephens will walk out for free at the end of the season.
It's no secret that Stephens wanted out in the summer, so he'll probably see out his contract, and move to a bottom half PL team for a big signing on fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here