Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crystal Palace set to battle Premier League rivals for Brighton star

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Now we know Palace are paying £37,800 a week on mercenaries I can't help think this will be a done deal, regardless on whether we're promoted or not,

This is the thing isn't it, we just don't know if we will be promoted or not. Let's say for example Palace offer Stephens 35K a week come the end of the season, and we are promoted, the Albion's offer of first-team football and say 28K a week might sway Stephens to sign with us. The Stephens and Kayal contracts won't get sorted out until after the end of the season so we have a lot more rumour control to do.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Probably , but I'm comparing him to our existing midfielders and I don't think he would improve it . IMO , I think he will stay if you come up .

If not Stephens then who do you think will be a realistic target that will improve your current team, which lets face it, is doing a brilliant job at the moment......? Wilshire snubbing you for Bournemouth must have hurt?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we go up we'll need 5 central midfielders minimum in the 25 man squad.

So our strategy will be a mixture of retain and recruit, and I'm certain signing Stephens and Kayal will be part of the plan.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This is the thing isn't it, we just don't know if we will be promoted or not. Let's say for example Palace offer Stephens 35K a week come the end of the season, and we are promoted, the Albion's offer of first-team football and say 28K a week might sway Stephens to sign with us. The Stephens and Kayal contracts won't get sorted out until after the end of the season so we have a lot more rumour control to do.

I don't think he'd be motivated by first team football, personally. That's a serious wedge.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
That was apparently my treat so probably wouldn't have been on the 5th October either 1945 or 1946 but the nearest Saturday with a home game. Isnt that how it works for birthday treats?

Ah ok,not for me it didn't.
My first game was on my 9th birthday, Wednesday February 28, 1968.

Saturday 6th October 45 we were home to Bournemouth winning 4-2
Saturday 5th October 46 we were away at Norwich, and home to Notts County on Saturday 12th October winning 3-2

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't think he'd be motivated by first team football, personally. That's a serious wedge.

Maybe, but looking at the Burnley spend, he was willing to jump ship for a lot less than 30k wage and his 'dream' of playing in the PL. Don't underestimate a players desire to play matches. Sure there are plenty of mercenary players, but Stephens doesn't strike me as one. I'm sure if we go up and Stephens is in Hughton's plans, he'll stay.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately regardless of where we end up I think Stephens will go. Any interested clubs will be willing to pay a large sign on fee in lieu of a transfer fee, where as we may not else it sets a precedent to other players. Also his agent has seemed very active for him the last few transfer windows so I am sure has something lucrative signed up

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
That's the problem . Tony needs the extra income to start paying back something but most , if not all of it , will go in acquiring players and their higher wages . It's ok saying you get £100 m per season but that gets swallowed up , it's frightening really .

What does he need to pay back? We need the extra money to cover the running cost which is what the Premier League will do.

Its you guys that still need to redevelop Selhurst and your training ground.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Maybe, but looking at the Burnley spend, he was willing to jump ship for a lot less than 30k wage and his 'dream' of playing in the PL. Don't underestimate a players desire to play matches. Sure there are plenty of mercenary players, but Stephens doesn't strike me as one. I'm sure if we go up and Stephens is in Hughton's plans, he'll stay.

You make a fair point, but that isn't how many footballers strike me. Personally I think Stephen's will go to whoever offer the best signing on fee and wage packet. Can't really blame him, less work for more pay? Who wouldn't take that?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
You make a fair point, but that isn't how many footballers strike me. Personally I think Stephen's will go to whoever offer the best signing on fee and wage packet. Can't really blame him, less work for more pay? Who wouldn't take that?

Sounds great to me! But it depends if Stephens looks at it as a chore or gets enjoyment from first team football, especially in the Prem. There certainly are a lot of variables, too many for us to get right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here