Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crawley Town no longer officially exist

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
A Bitcoin podcaster has also bought the second best team in Bedford (which he plans to rename Real Bedford) with the aim of making it the club for all Bitcoin owners and taking it into the football league
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60084253
To be fair, he seems to be basing his strategy on the fact that he has a very successful podcast and so has a huge audience of potential fans and sponsors, rather than anything to do with apes, NFTs or magic beans.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A Bitcoin podcaster has also bought the second best team in Bedford (which he plans to rename Real Bedford) with the aim of making it the club for all Bitcoin owners and taking it into the football league
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60084253
To be fair, he seems to be basing his strategy on the fact that he has a very successful podcast and so has a huge audience of potential fans and sponsors, rather than anything to do with apes, NFTs or magic beans.

McCormack has some substantial £ from bitcoin. the traditional lad done well buying his local club, and they're at a level he can bank roll them for long time.

Out of interest - how are they going to pay the players?.
If these things go down as well as up in value would a player who could acquire 5 cans of beans in wages on matchday but finds it only funds 4 cans on cashing in stick with the team ? ...
Asking as someone with a soft spot for Crawley town...

At the moment paying the players? In exactly the same way as how they bought the club, out of their own pockets. Remember the NFT community they want to create is only on the drawing board and it’s going to take a while for it to produce revenue for the club. In the interim they are going to have to fund all of it themselves, and they’ve already made a lot of commitments on much bigger player budget and various stadium improvements.

So advocates of the scam theory have a complicated task to explain how they are going to get that money back or make a profit and walk away.

I think Crawley Town are now actually going to have a very good season on the pitch next year. They are already a solid midtable team and the increase in spending puts them right in the promotion picture to League One.

Obviously off the pitch could be the much tougher bit than winning football matches. Can they create this community in America and elsewhere with Crawley Town FC at the centre of it? Seems incredible as most people would assume it would take a mega football brand like Man U to do that, not a town which if ever mentioned on NSC is usually called a crap hole. But the thing is - the big brands aren’t touching these huge new crypto communities that have mushroomed over the past few years. The only one that is, is little Crawley Town. So will they have a big first-mover advantage?

No one truly knows what is possible at this point. We are about to find out.

If the project fails and the NFT community doesn’t take off, it doesn’t automatically mean catastrophe for Crawley Town, it would entirely depend on how the new owners behaved in handing over the club to others. And that question in particular is no different to being owned by a traditional owner, they could be dicks and crash the club or good stewards and pass it on to a new leadership

3 points for the team that don't exist and into the top half of League 2, there'll be celebrations on the streets of Portland and Brooklyn tonight

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whether it works out long term or not is debateable, but the signings the club have made should see an improvement on last season, and generally, this is all fans want, getting a bit better each season.

I do not know if cryptocurrencies or NFT's have a long term future either, but the physical cash in your pocket has very little if any intrinsic value, it is only because nearly all of us trust that it has value, that it does. Currencies have become worthless at certain times, it doesn't mean that the currency was always a con, it's all just tokens these days, no one mints gold or silver coins for circulation anymore.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Genuinely impressive that they've managed to raise £3.5million in NFT sales, for the chance to vote on the future of Crawley Town, in the current crypto market. Obviously a question as to how much of that money will go into Crawley Town, but I think this could be a real opportunity for them - the owners have a real incentive to see the club do well because then the value of their silly little online images will go up, potentially significantly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuinely impressive that they've managed to raise £3.5million in NFT sales, for the chance to vote on the future of Crawley Town, in the current crypto market.
Obviously a question as to how much of that money will go into Crawley Town, but I think this could be a real opportunity for them - the owners have a real incentive to see the club do well because then the value of their silly little online images will go up, potentially significantly.

I'd take that figure with a large lorryload of salt if I were you. Google 'wash trading crypto'. There is absolutely no suggestion that this is the case with Crawley Town and their new owners, obviously. Just pointing out that it's not unknown in the NFT sphere. Do your own extensive research before investing would be my advice

Last edited:

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

Another interesting story I hadn’t run in to. Football finances is a strange thing, especially in the lower leagues. You have to be a billionaire to own a successful premier league club, but the lower leagues is a completely different ballgame. It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

It was less than ten years ago that Dick Knight was trying to flog his shares in the club for a pound apiece, if you could pass the “I’m a proper fan” test.

I’m sure there is a dullard on the board with more insight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yeah - whatever happened to Randy Banjo?

Did he finally **** off when he realised we didn’t all want to club together to fund his flight from the US for the FA Cup semi final?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Did he finally **** off when he realised we didn’t all want to club together to fund his flight from the US for the FA Cup semi final?

He should have realised that you're all saving up to bring me over.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Bet in your earlier life you never envisaged posting such a thing on a family-friendly football site :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here