[Football] Crawley Town no longer officially exist

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd agree with Worthing having a chance and I'd say Horsham may not be that far behind (as an outside guess)?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd agree with Worthing having a chance and I'd say Horsham may not be that far behind (as an outside guess)?

Worthing definitely have a lot of potential and the size of the town could theoretically support a league side

would perhaps need a new ground though!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Crawley won't fold! they have been in existence since 1896, that's five years longer than the Albion, and for nearly all of that time have quite happily been plying their trade outside of the Football League, so are very well equipped to return to that level should they have to. They play at the Broadfield Stadium, rented from the local council at advantageous rates, and should relegation come along the wage bill will reduce substantially. In fact sad though it may sound, relegation out of the league may well suit them.

You say that it's as certain as night follows day that they will fold. What a bizarre statement. It makes me wonder how much you actually know about non-league football.

Well, they have sailed far too close to the wind in the past to merit having any certainty they won't fold. A lot will depend on those contracts, accumulated debts - it's not like they have a great track record of being prudently run.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Many sides hit the buffers at National South / North. Getting out of either of those is really tough. Quite a few sides rise up the pyramid, but you start to get a new level of professionalism in the 6th tier.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry to slightly derail - I'm a little young to know what really happened when we needed somewhere to play our home games after the Goldstone was gone - we asked Crawley, right?

Who else did we ask? How did Gillingham end up being the closest viable option?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Many sides hit the buffers at National South / North. Getting out of either of those is really tough. Quite a few sides rise up the pyramid, but you start to get a new level of professionalism in the 6th tier.
Yes. Eastbourne Borough have a decent ground and set up with potential to get crowds around 2-3K as soon as they reached the professional level. But you need a lot of money from an owner/sponsor to make the next step.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

yes and the National League is very, very hard to get out of the right way. You've got countless big ex league clubs, teams who are established in that league and are well run and ambitious "new money" teams throwing cash around

plus nationwide travel, higher wages and not a particularly large increase in income

for worthing, a big hit would be fans not being able to drink on the terraces- that would cost them a fortune in lost sales each home game

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
yes and the National League is very, very hard to get out of the right way. You've got countless big ex league clubs, teams who are established in that league and are well run and ambitious "new money" teams throwing cash around

plus nationwide travel, higher wages and not a particularly large increase in income

for worthing, a big hit would be fans not being able to drink on the terraces- that would cost them a fortune in lost sales each home game

I think Worthing establishing themselves in the NS would be a huge achievement for them. Quite a few sides get regular 1000+ crowds, it would be a great level for another Sussex side to be in. Can always dream about moving up, but reckon the NS is perfect for them right now.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Sorry to slightly derail - I'm a little young to know what really happened when we needed somewhere to play our home games after the Goldstone was gone - we asked Crawley, right?

We asked Crawley, the club was keen however the council wasn’t

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Yes. Eastbourne Borough have a decent ground and set up with potential to get crowds around 2-3K as soon as they reached the professional level. But you need a lot of money from an owner/sponsor to make the next step.

I remember the days of Borough in the Conference National. They would get 2000 for the bigger games and around 12/1300 for the smaller ones. Was a real shame they struggled to hold their own, but the season before was a lot of fun battling with Lewes at the top.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think Worthing establishing themselves in the NS would be a huge achievement for them. Quite a few sides get regular 1000+ crowds, it would be a great level for another Sussex side to be in. Can always dream about moving up, but reckon the NS is perfect for them right now.

yes agreed, they're certainly holding their own thus far which is great

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I remember the days of Borough in the Conference National. They would get 2000 for the bigger games and around 12/1300 for the smaller ones. Was a real shame they struggled to hold their own, but the season before was a lot of fun battling with Lewes at the top.

I seem to remember them having a couple of good seasons in the national but the fact that they remained semi pro really caught up with them

may be imagining it but have a recollection of them having to scrape together a side for a tuesday night game away at Gateshead

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I seem to remember them having a couple of good seasons in the national but the fact that they remained semi pro really caught up with them

may be imagining it but have a recollection of them having to scrape together a side for a tuesday night game away at Gateshead

That's correct. It was actually the game that relegated them and was rearranged due to a postponement earlier in the season. They still had some first team players mind, but it was pretty much anyone who could get the time off work played.

Danny Bloor is doing an excellent job and I was there Saturday when they dismantled a poor Weymouth side 5-1. Kids going free has really boosted attendances.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Dorking Wanderers are a good example of a club recently formed (1999) and making their way up the leagues fairly quickly. In their first season in the National League Premier they are mid-table and adjusting well to a tough division. In five years they'll be a football league side - if the ground is adequate.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dorking Wanderers are a good example of a club recently formed (1999) and making their way up the leagues fairly quickly. In their first season in the National League Premier they are mid-table and adjusting well to a tough division. In five years they'll be a football league side - if the ground is adequate.

Let’s see. So many clubs have had such ambitions and then the money runs out or is insufficient to compete in the higher leagues. Look at Billericay, Lewes, Whitehawk, ……..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Further to a previous reply, Crawley Council invited BHAFC to meet some of the development costs for the Broadfield Stadium, (it was not yet built when the Goldstone was sold) in return for a long lease. BHAFC declined that, the club did nit want to be out of Brighton long term. When the Stadium was completed BHAFC wanted to pay annually for hosting home games, Crawley Council declined that arrangement, and a Councillor made a slightly sniffy public comment about BHAFC at that time. It appeared to be sour grapes for BHAFC not agreeing to a long term solution that CBC had wanted when they were looking for funding. Reality was probably just that there was little benefit to CBC in that arrangement, and concerns over hooliganism. We had been on TV, snapping goal posts etc. non football people dont know the difference. Portsmouth was the other league ground talked about, not sure if there was ever any serious enquiries made there though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Further to a previous reply, Crawley Council invited BHAFC to meet some of the development costs for the Broadfield Stadium, (it was not yet built when the Goldstone was sold) in return for a long lease. BHAFC declined that, the club did nit want to be out of Brighton long term. When the Stadium was completed BHAFC wanted to pay annually for hosting home games, Crawley Council declined that arrangement, and a Councillor made a slightly sniffy public comment about BHAFC at that time. It appeared to be sour grapes for BHAFC not agreeing to a long term solution that CBC had wanted when they were looking for funding. Reality was probably just that there was little benefit to CBC in that arrangement, and concerns over hooliganism. We had been on TV, snapping goal posts etc. non football people dont know the difference. Portsmouth was the other league ground talked about, not sure if there was ever any serious enquiries made there though.

Edit. There was also Selhurst Park mentioned, I have no idea if that was ever a serious consideration, I think Wimbledon were already sharing anyway.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Edit. There was also Selhurst Park mentioned, I have no idea if that was ever a serious consideration.

I think even putting aside the rivalry aspect, they would have had Wimbledon playing there then. Three teams at one ground seems like a logistical nightmare even if it's allowed

Perhaps Millwall was an option?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think even putting aside the rivalry aspect, they would have had Wimbledon playing there then. Three teams at one ground seems like a logistical nightmare even if it's allowed

Perhaps Millwall was an option?

Sorry, yes, edited my edit, but there was talk every season of Wimbledon moving out somewhere, no one expected the eventual move to Milton Keynes. We had a season of renting at the Goldstone to try and find somewhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports