Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] #cpfc

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The way this plays out is Palace lose their next match to bottom-of-the-league Sheffield Utd, they then sack Roy and bring in Steve Cooper just ahead of the game against us, and have the most almighty “new manager bounce”. It is inevitable!
...or they bring in Potter and it's his first game managing them which would make the Chelsea boo-fest of last season look like a sedate church picnic by comparison

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The way this plays out is Palace lose their next match to bottom-of-the-league Sheffield Utd, they then sack Roy and bring in Steve Cooper just ahead of the game against us, and have the most almighty “new manager bounce”. It is inevitable!
If they do fire Roy before they play us, it could be to our advantage. You know Roy has no plan except to park the bus in a low block and hope to convert 1 of limited chances, and we struggle against the low block.

If Cooper or Potter get in and try and actually play, that will suit us more.

Gonna be spicy if the teeth sucking Chelsea flop is sat in opposite dug out adorned with that hideous logo.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Alternatively, they scratch out a result against one of the worst teams in the league, Roy hangs on for a week with his not so merry band of bang average shufflers and we put them out of their misery.

Perhaps?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
IF Bruno goes as well I wonder how many on here will still defend the bald turncoat?

Left us in our darkest hour and joined Palace.

Once a seagull, eh?
"darkest hour" - steady on.

Jimmy Grimble

Well 12 months ago - the way it played out they were on a run of bad form (no wins in 10) , they came to the Amex - had a couple of chances in the first 10 minutes and then Solly March put us one up. We won and Viera was sacked within hours.

Its not inevitable ha ha.
What I find most amusing about that is Viera probably had the best tactical set up against us I’d seen all season up until Solly’s goal. They really should’ve gone ahead in that game!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Stinks of desperation.

IMG_6494.jpeg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Palace had more shots and more shots on target against Arsenal than we did. They also conceded less shots and less shots on target than we did. The two late Martinelli goals were identical, with Arsenal exploiting the space in behind. The result for them looks like a dirty mark, but it says nothing new about who they are.

Other than the occasional win against the run of play, they tend to lose to the better teams and they get most of their points against the weaker teams. This is the way they were under Hodgson, under Vieira and again upon Hodgson's return. The black pyjama gang are right that there is no long term strategic plan, but that has been the case for their entire time in the EPL. They looked to be flirting with a long term plan by appointing a couple of progressive managers, but they didn't commit to the plan and support them in the way that is needed, they didn't obviously seek to buy players who would suit the playing style. Whenever the risk looked too great, they flip flopped back to the tried and tested low block with quick attackers for the counter. Well that style might not be ground breaking, but it could be a long term plan. It's what got Burnley into Europe. It's Pulis' style, Allardyce's style, Hodgson's style, but it's also Moyes' style and West Ham have stumbled into committing to it and won themselves a European trophy.

It seems that Palace do it begrudgingly, thinking it beneath them and, every now and again, they kid themselves into believing that they're something else and make a half hearted attempt to put lipstick on their pig. Yes, they don't appear to be a particularly well run club, but that doesn't set them apart from most football clubs. Neither are they a basketcase. In fact there are dozens of historically bigger clubs among the 92 who would happily swap places with a team that has been mid table in the top division for a decade. To outsiders, the banners and latest fuss just smacks of entitlement and will only result in the owners digging out the porcine mascara again. If they appoint Potter, or someone like him, the same fans will turn on him as soon as things get tough in the same way they did with Vieira. They would be far better off accepting who they are and being proud of it. There's alway one or two anti football teams that have a modicum of success and there are enough gnarled old school managers who they could appoint to replace Roy. Look at Everton. They really were a basketcase and they appointed Dyche and, if not for the points deduction, would now be 12 points above where they were this time last year. Palace had the chance to do this, but thought him beneath them. He obviously is not. He is very very good at what he does, but they just couldn't bring themselves to accept that what he does was exactly what they needed. They should be embracing what they are and not be ashamed of it. If they are looking to appoint an ex-Brighton manager, then Chris Hughton, not Graham Potter would be a far better footballing fit.*

* - I say 'footballing fit' because I like to believe that Chris is too lovely a bloke to ever actually associate himself with that shower.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
IF Bruno goes as well I wonder how many on here will still defend the bald turncoat?

Left us in our darkest hour and joined Palace.

Once a seagull, eh?
Darkest hour? We were in our highest ever league position and playing our best ever football (at that point). If anything he left us at the sunniest point in our history.

Either way, it'd be very interesting to see if he did follow Potter to Palace. I don't think there's any chance he goes there though. You don't go from being Ratcliffe's personal choice to replace ten Hag to the Palace sideshow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Darkest hour? We were in our highest ever league position and playing our best ever football (at that point). If anything he left us at the sunniest point in our history.

Either way, it'd be very interesting to see if he did follow Potter to Palace. I don't think there's any chance he goes there though. You don't go from being Ratcliffe's personal choice to replace ten Hag to the Palace sideshow.
For Potter, at least, I can't help thinking palace is the better job.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
So what are the Palace fans opinions of getting our ex-manager in to try to replicate our success?

Must be a bitter pill that one. Our "teachers" Palace having to resort to imitating us.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The black pyjama gang are right that there is no long term strategic plan, but that has been the case for their entire time in the EPL. They looked to be flirting with a long term plan by appointing a couple of progressive managers, but they didn't commit to the plan and support them in the way that is needed, they didn't obviously seek to buy players who would suit the playing style. Whenever the risk looked too great, they flip flopped back to the tried and tested low block with quick attackers for the counter. Well that style might not be ground breaking, but it could be a long term plan. I.
That's why I don't think they'll pick Potter. He's not a quick fit merchant, it took him some time for his methods to work at the Albion and Palace have shown, twice, they don't want managers who have a long term plan, but quick results. Cooper may well be a better bet, he turned Forest round pretty quickly after Hughton's reign.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here