Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Covid outbreak at spurs?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This is why teams have large squads, they could field a team, they won't be sending players or staff with covid so no issue not playing well with the media, If we had "cough" six to eight players out through injury we would be expected to play the match, I don't see the difference....

Big six favouritism again

Boooooooooooooooooooooo

Don’t disagree but we all know how these things play out when high profile teams and managers make pleas and the optics of sending a team against a backdrop of restrictions coming back in the will make the PL accept the request.

I would be amazed if this game goes ahead

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
This is why teams have large squads, they could field a team, they won't be sending players or staff with covid so no issue not playing well with the media, If we had "cough" six to eight players out through injury we would be expected to play the match, I don't see the difference....

Big six favouritism again

Boooooooooooooooooooooo

They may well be sending players out with Covid. Apparently one player trained today then got a positive test result. The same could happen on Sunday.

It will be cancelled and rightly so.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don’t disagree but we all know how these things play out when high profile teams and managers make pleas and the optics of sending a team against a backdrop of restrictions coming back in the will make the PL accept the request.

I really hope it does, I hate shopping

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
If this is cancelled is there any chance Webster & Lallana are fit by the Wolves game? Both were given 2 week estimates originally

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

This would be a thing if the club asking to postpone didn’t have two games called off for it last season against Fulham and Villa.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
13 confirmed cases at Spurs now according to Conte, 8 players, 5 staff. Really cannot see our game on Sunday going ahead now.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...sitive-covid-19-cases-among-players-and-staff

All teams have a squad of 25 , so minus 8 still leaves 17 players . Doesn't matter about the staff . Game should be played but probably won't.

Postponement won't help us in anyway as Duffy's suspension will be kicked onto the Wolves game and we still have numerous injuries . It needs Barber to make a strong case for the game to go ahead but I can't see this as he is a lapdog to the Prem.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
With Spurs still training and playing tomorrow night further cases will be almost inevitable, public health should come before money and the game should be postponed. The rest of the population are about to be told to work from home for the forseeable future.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If this is cancelled is there any chance Webster & Lallana are fit by the Wolves game? Both were given 2 week estimates originally

If we could get Webby fit for the next wednesday, it would be a massive boost. Midfielders, we're not short of.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
With Spurs still training and playing tomorrow night further cases will be almost inevitable, public health should come before money and the game should be postponed. The rest of the population are about to be told to work from home for the forseeable future.

This. In any other work place if 8 out of 25 employees, who work in close contact with each other, came down with Covid they would immediately tell everyone to stay at home. There is clearly a serious outbreak at Spurs and the priority should be to contain it as much as possible.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
All teams have a squad of 25 , so minus 8 still leaves 17 players . Doesn't matter about the staff . Game should be played but probably won't.

Agree with this.

It needs Barber to make a strong case for the game to go ahead but I can't see this as he is a lapdog to the Prem.

I would say he is no lapdog, however would probably think him being a Tottenham fan would have more of an influence...

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
There’s no point having a squad of 25 players if you can get a game called off just because you are missing 8 players, we are missing players due to injury but we can’t get the game postponed, that’s why each team has 25 players to choose from.

Yes I know it’s Covid but those players affected will be away from the club and the rest of the players will have taken PCR tests and if those are negative they can travel.

SAC

May 21, 2014
This virus is likely to here in the long term, therefore we need to find a way of living with it and the rules/laws should be clear that if you have 12/13/14 fit players then you including a GK then you can fill the rest of the bench up with U21s if necessary. Postponing matches only kicks it further down the line.

What happens in January during the ACN (assuming it goes ahead)? A club like Watford could have 5 players at the ACN as well as injuries (currently 8) and suspensions. Any players with Covid would tip them over the edge.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This virus is likely to here in the long term, therefore we need to find a way of living with it and the rules/laws should be clear that if you have 12/13/14 fit players then you including a GK then you can fill the rest of the bench up with U21s if necessary. Postponing matches only kicks it further down the line.

What happens in January during the ACN (assuming it goes ahead)? A club like Watford could have 5 players at the ACN as well as injuries (currently 8) and suspensions. Any players with Covid would tip them over the edge.

Yep. Should mirror the UEFA rules (if you have 13 including a keeper available, the game goes ahead).

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Think the game should still go ahead.
Spurs have played weakened teams in cup games when their squad hasn’t been affected by COVID, if it’s ok for them to play a team like that when it suits them then they should be made to put a team out in the premier league

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Think the game should still go ahead.
Spurs have played weakened teams in cup games when their squad hasn’t been affected by COVID, if it’s ok for them to play a team like that when it suits them then they should be made to put a team out in the premier league

Ok to infect our team when we already have eight players out injured?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It’s amazing to think that Aston Villa won the Division One title in 1981 using only 14 players over the season - and that was 42 games in dem days.

When footballers were men and they played 1-11 and only allowed 1 substitute

And the European Cup was just played for by Champions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here