[Brighton] Council to discuss stadium for the women's team.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I could see a joint owned/used facility at Withdean - permission granted for upgrade and use by BHA, with non-match days remaining as a council athletics facility, albeit with heavily upgraded facilities. Close to PP station, good public transport and road links.

Maybe that's why there was a removal of "Community" from the existing stadium's name? So it could be used for a shared community facility? Might be adding 2 + 2 together to make 5, though!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Two points:
1) why do you answer the question that was already answered two hours ago?
2) when a point is being debated it usually helps to gather relevant information in the same place for ease of reference

I answered it hadn’t seen the earlier reply.

If you feel all the information should be in one place why didn’t you visit the ticketing site and get it?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The ones nearer Bridge carpark are BACA. Forget those.

However, I’ve marked the old rugby pitches at the University of Brighton that are never used (flooding issues and the fact all the pitches are at the rear of the Uni now with the Sports Pavilion).

View attachment 167989
Here is a fact. The University is on its knees financially, they could not afford to turn down a bid from the club and would want a quick sale.

This situation won’t last long (especially if Labour get in and stop strangling the Universities like the current government).

The club need to acquire this land ASAP. The council would surely be quick to grant them permissions.

My son is at Brighton Uni, and proposed building a baseball field on the left half of that area, for the team that he is starting up this year.
He was told that they couldn't use that field as its been earmarked for university development. Make of that what you will - there could be something in the pipeline, or nothing at all.

Knowing the problems Albion have had before finding a site in B&H, what about jumpers for goalposts on Hove Lawns for the women's team? 😜
ITS A JOKE!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The ones nearer Bridge carpark are BACA. Forget those.

However, I’ve marked the old rugby pitches at the University of Brighton that are never used (flooding issues and the fact all the pitches are at the rear of the Uni now with the Sports Pavilion).

View attachment 167989
Here is a fact. The University is on its knees financially, they could not afford to turn down a bid from the club and would want a quick sale.

This situation won’t last long (especially if Labour get in and stop strangling the Universities like the current government).

The club need to acquire this land ASAP. The council would surely be quick to grant them permissions.
That site looks a bit tight, width wise.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A joint council club renovation of Withdean would be great. I think the Brighton Uni site would superb though. A dedicated 6000 capacity stadium at the Uni next to the Amex would be perfect. For crowds of that size the transport links would be absolutely perfect. I'm glad this topic is being discussed at council level, let's see what the outcome is.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's the home crowds from last season. (a couple of games at the Amex)

Whilst not huge, Albion women have bigger attendances than Crawley Men.

Wonder what they will get for Spurs at the Amex on Sunday.

I was also surprised that Season Tickets are just £55 and £25 for kids.

but yep. going to Crawley is obviously a barrier and not great for the team (the signage, facilities).

Albioncrowds.png

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
would love it if they used the exact same design as the Amex but scaled down

a bit like the old Mini Estadi which was next to the Nou Camp

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Interesting stuff.

They need to work out the minimum crowd level at which they will use the Amex - 6k? - and build it to that capacity. Then the higher crowd games could switch to the main ground.

Ideally, it could be on a site which one day could house a mega stadium to replace the Amex but that must be pipe-dreaming.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Not so sure. The width is about 100m ish.
A pitch is about 68m. 2 x 3m ish running tracks leaves about 23m for two stands.
Not huge, but a bit of careful planning could make a superb ground.
You might just be able to squeeze a very narrow stadium in there, if you knock down the club house and chop down a couple of trees. Most modern small stadiums seem to be about 120-140m wide, even wider if you consider the external concourses.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
You might just be able to squeeze a very narrow stadium in there, if you knock down the club house and chop down a couple of trees. Most modern small stadiums seem to be about 120-140m wide, even wider if you consider the external concourses.
Yeah, but as I say, with clever planning it is surprising what can be done.
And if nowhere else is available it could be the only choice...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Be great to see the club develop a ground alongside a local non-league side that are doing well and could benefit, such as whitehawk or worthing or lewes. Why should the stadium only get used for the 10 or so women’s home games the Albion play per year? Plenty of scope for a ground share.
Agree Even in Brighton cant see gates much above £3k for league games. Cant see this justyfying sole use of a ground
Good luck with progress og Womens football but really cant see club building a purpose built stadium with these gates and tickets about £5 and STs about £55. Club now run free buses to Crawley.
Sharing with another club or facilitie surely will be only option.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Where do I cast my vote for knocking down the shit retail park, just south of Hove Park and building it there.

And oh, if we could get a mens game there, even if it were Carabao or pre season friendly ... there would not be a dry eye in the house

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports