Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Council to discuss stadium for the women's team.....

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Be great to see the club develop a ground alongside a local non-league side that are doing well and could benefit, such as whitehawk or worthing or lewes. Why should the stadium only get used for the 10 or so women’s home games the Albion play per year? Plenty of scope for a ground share.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Would love to see the Withdean upgraded with permanent covered stands but I feel like we might be near the peak of popularity of the women's game, I appreciate that won't be the popular opinion but I can't see us averaging and sustaining 5k plus crowds. Love to be proven wrong though.

A ground share with Whitehawk would make sense and allow them to grow, the city is definitely big enough to accommodate a team that plays between step 6 and league two/one.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Withdean would be the sensible option for me

- Historic stadium, still loved by many
- About the right size if upgraded
- Could be used by the mens/youth team for other purposes
- Wouldn't be too expensive
- If popular, would allow us to scope a new location
I’d hate that. Used by many hundreds of (primarily young) people every week for athletics. Keep it that way, as intended before it lent us a home. Unless there was a way to keep (upgrade?) the track, obviously.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Be great to see the club develop a ground alongside a local non-league side that are doing well and could benefit, such as whitehawk or worthing or lewes. Why should the stadium only get used for the 10 or so women’s home games the Albion play per year? Plenty of scope for a ground share.
Lewes won’t work…..wouldn’t be able to avoid fixture clashes with their women’s team.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Knock this down and build here.

1697145251479.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Getting a bit ahead perhaps - all they are doing is putting forward a motion calling for the council to support “in principle” the return of the women’s team to the city, they won't be discussing any actual sites or anything like that...................though got to start somewhere I guess.
Plus it's been reported in the Arsegas, which isn't exactly famed for its attention to detail...

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Would love to see the Withdean upgraded with permanent covered stands but I feel like we might be near the peak of popularity of the women's game, I appreciate that won't be the popular opinion but I can't see us averaging and sustaining 5k plus crowds. Love to be proven wrong though.

A ground share with Whitehawk would make sense and allow them to grow, the city is definitely big enough to accommodate a team that plays between step 6 and league two/one.
We averaged nearly 3500 playing almost all our games at Crawley. Looks like we have already sold 6000+ for Spurs at the Amex on Sunday. I don't think averaging over 5000 at a permanent home in the city is particularly unrealistic and is a bit unambitious IMO.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Im expecting to be shot down here but……

How much is this going to cost?
Where is the money coming from?
Will this negatively affect the short or mid term budget for the mens teams?

The ROI for a new stadium which holds ~5k (but doesn’t necessarily get 5k) is going to be measured in decades.

If the answer to my 3rd question is ‘yes’ then I’m not comfortable with it at all.
Where did you get the 5k figure from? Is this a stated aspiration?

RodgerT

Oct 12, 2023
Be great to get ladies stadium in Brighton , I’d go to some of the games definitely. Hope this can happen over the next couple of years . Great for young girls too

The options for sites in Brighton & Hove that spring to my mind are Withdean or the Whitehawk Ground. Not many other places where there’s enough land going spare in the city really.
I'd take either of those options - transport options slightly better at the Theatre of Trees but maybe they could put on extra buses for a trip to the Far East

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We averaged nearly 3500 playing almost all our games at Crawley. Looks like we have already sold 6000+ for Spurs at the Amex on Sunday. I don't think averaging over 5000 at a permanent home in the city is particularly unrealistic and is a bit unambitious IMO.
Could I ask how much the tickets are for these matches, adults and children please? Crawley and Amex?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
However, I’ve marked the old rugby pitches at the University of Brighton that are never used (flooding issues and the fact all the pitches are at the rear of the Uni now with the Sports Pavilion).
You envisage our ladies playing in their Wellington boots perhaps?

😉

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here