[Brighton] Council to discuss stadium for the women's team.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's that pitch on the left walking down from the Amex towards the Bridge car park? Always seems to have a ladies game on it anytime I pass. Doubtless some kind of Uni asset. Deal to be done?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What's that pitch on the left walking down from the Amex towards the Bridge car park? Always seems to have a ladies game on it anytime I pass. Doubtless some kind of Uni asset. Deal to be done?
The ones nearer Bridge carpark are BACA. Forget those.

However, I’ve marked the old rugby pitches at the University of Brighton that are never used (flooding issues and the fact all the pitches are at the rear of the Uni now with the Sports Pavilion).

IMG_3483.jpeg

Here is a fact. The University is on its knees financially, they could not afford to turn down a bid from the club and would want a quick sale.

This situation won’t last long (especially if Labour get in and stop strangling the Universities like the current government).

The club need to acquire this land ASAP. The council would surely be quick to grant them permissions.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Im expecting to be shot down here but……

How much is this going to cost?
Where is the money coming from?
Will this negatively affect the short or mid term budget for the mens teams?

The ROI for a new stadium which holds ~5k (but doesn’t necessarily get 5k) is going to be measured in decades.

If the answer to my 3rd question is ‘yes’ then I’m not comfortable with it at all.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'm not sure the rise in popularity in Women's Football will continue for much longer.

Why can't they use the Amex and assess the impact on an ongoing basis as this would certainly cut the costs of a new site.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Actually if the cost of building this stadium is close to the cost of extending the north stand (which is doable just not cost realistic) then extend the north and share. If there is money left over then put some points in at Falmer to shuttle the trains….

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Getting a bit ahead perhaps - all they are doing is putting forward a motion calling for the council to support “in principle” the return of the women’s team to the city, they won't be discussing any actual sites or anything like that...................though got to start somewhere I guess.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Getting a bit ahead perhaps - all they are doing is putting forward a motion calling for the council to support “in principle” the return of the women’s team to the city, they won't be discussing any actual sites or anything like that...................though got to start somewhere I guess.
In the current political and social climate the council will agree in a heartbeat though, or get flayed alive.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
According to The Argus.

I' sure this has been mentioned before and will be something the club would like to achieve.

Is this likely to be redevelopment of an existing site ( Withdean ) or an option for a new build, if so what size considering some games at Crawley have attracted crowds in excess of 4000. With the growth of the women's games the potential options to bring the team back to Brighton are interesting..
If it will be withdean, is that miserable git who tried to stop us playing there every bloody home game…..Catt?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Im expecting to be shot down here but……

How much is this going to cost?
Where is the money coming from?
Will this negatively affect the short or mid term budget for the mens teams?

The ROI for a new stadium which holds ~5k (but doesn’t necessarily get 5k) is going to be measured in decades.

If the answer to my 3rd question is ‘yes’ then I’m not comfortable with it at all.
I’m not going to shoot you down, but can hopefully put your mind at rest

it’s going to cost you nothing. IF they build a dedicated facility, It will no doubt be funded by Tony Bloom, like everything else.

Capital spend on infrastructure projects is entirely discounted from FFP calculations, so unless Tony decides to suddenly fund this INSTEAD of the men’s team, it would have no effect whatsoever on the first team playing budget.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Withdean would be the sensible option for me

- Historic stadium, still loved by many
- About the right size if upgraded
- Could be used by the mens/youth team for other purposes
- Wouldn't be too expensive
- If popular, would allow us to scope a new location

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Withdean would be the sensible option for me

- Historic stadium, still loved by many
- About the right size if upgraded
- Could be used by the mens/youth team for other purposes
- Wouldn't be too expensive
- If popular, would allow us to scope a new location
Presumably part of the upgrade would be getting rid of the running track.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports