Connor Wickham

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
As much as I would like us to sign Wickham, the more I think about it the more unlikely it gets.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why do I keep hearing wickham is only loan? In return for bridcutt and bucker?

I beleive the Wickham part is on top of them paying for Buckley & Bridcutt... say £5m for the 2 plus we get Wickham on loan for the season for free.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And at present he is not better in my opinion than Ulloa.

Nonsense.

'at present' Wickham looks FIVE times the player Leo does.

Who knows whether that is down to Leo being unfit / short of matches / frustrated / unsettled / whatever, but the Leo of recent weeks is NOT the Leo we know he can be.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Nonsense.

Who knows whether that is down to Leo being unfit / short of matches / frustrated / unsettled / whatever, but the Leo of recent weeks is NOT the Leo we know he can be.

He's only had 3 games or so back though.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and Leo is Class.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
That will never happen. Wickham goes back in the summer and we've lost two of our best players. I trust the club to do the right thing and they'll get the best deal possible for us.

And then if Sunderland get relegated, next season they will tear up the championship using Bridcutt, Buckley and Wickham! Doesn't bear thinking about.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nonsense.

8/11 for SW :lolol:says it all, thats SW who were bottom when he joined them and now two points clear and will someone tell me why they Leo and Connor CANNOT BE PLAYED TOGETHER

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's only had 3 games or so back though.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, and Leo is Class.

Well said. In terms of selling players we must look at the bigger picture. Same with Buckley.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
And then if Sunderland get relegated, next season they will tear up the championship using Bridcutt, Buckley and Wickham! Doesn't bear thinking about.

A loan is an absolute non-starter for me.
If they want LB and WB that badly, then they have to give us Wickham - simples.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Well said. In terms of selling players we must look at the bigger picture. Same with Buckley.

A fully fit Will Buckley will tear any team, and I mean any team apart down the right.

He's like a bloody express train.

Would love to know what he can run the 100m in when fit.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
A fully fit Will Buckley will tear any team, and I mean any team apart down the right.

He'd pull his hamstring before he got halfway....

Seriously though, he is a class act. Looking back at the Newcastle cup game that Seagulls Player had up recently, he was absolutely unplayable when at his direct, pacy best.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Problem is that you get maybe 1 game in 8 where he's that good, with 4 poor performances and 3 injured :lol:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Problem is that you get maybe 1 game in 8 where he's that good, with 4 poor performances and 3 injured :lol:

I think it's been the injuries that have caused the inconsistency though.

I am only talking about a full fit Buckley, anything else is a poor shadow.

But IF we can get him fit, I would love to keep him.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Our system now is similar to the old one, and isn't 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 but a flex in between the pair. He is ideal for the 'barnes role' not the Ulloa target man but the 'wide forward'. you need a nippy fast player on the other side of the '3' forwards and a technical player in behind with 2 holding players (one defensive one merely deep).

He'd be a great signing but I agree most likely we are realistically only getting him on loan

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
A fully fit Will Buckley ......

..... is rarely seen. I have to wonder whether he doubts himself a bit now as well. Does he hold back from running flat out for fear of a hamstring going? For most of this season, he has looked like a player reluctant to knock the ball past the full back and trust his hamstrings to let him go flat out. It could have been that he was coming back before he was 100%, but I doubt we would do that to a player with his injury record.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
8/11 for SW :lolol:says it all, thats SW who were bottom when he joined them and now two points clear and will someone tell me why they Leo and Connor CANNOT BE PLAYED TOGETHER

I agree with you Glasfryn. I think they CAN play together.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
..... is rarely seen. I have to wonder whether he doubts himself a bit now as well. Does he hold back from running flat out for fear of a hamstring going? For most of this season, he has looked like a player reluctant to knock the ball past the full back and trust his hamstrings to let him go flat out. It could have been that he was coming back before he was 100%, but I doubt we would do that to a player with his injury record.

Good point though.
If he wasn't quite right, it might explain a few things.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The issue is not whether they can play in the same team. The issue is whether they will play together up-front in a pair. The only situation I can see this happen is when we're chasing a game that we're losing, and I'm not that convinced that even then it will happen.
This is because Oscar plays a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system. He has confirmed his attachment to this system regularly. This is what he learnt at Barcelona, and continued the practice with their youth team. This is what he did at Maccabi Tel Aviv, and this is what he's done since he joined Brighton. He tweaks it slightly, but he will not re-form it into a 4-4-2.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
..... is rarely seen. I have to wonder whether he doubts himself a bit now as well. Does he hold back from running flat out for fear of a hamstring going? For most of this season, he has looked like a player reluctant to knock the ball past the full back and trust his hamstrings to let him go flat out. .

I've been convinced for a while that this is exactly the case. He doesn't let himself really go as he has no faith in his hamstrings, not to break down if he does so. And on recent evidence, at Doncaster and Blackpool, his lack of faith might not be misplaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports