Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Wickham

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So we are now supposed to take into account how first team players will react if we sign some competition? Really?

Unless you have been watching Sheffield Wednesday I'm not sure how you know he's not as good. He's younger and was signed for 4 times the amount we paid for Ulloa, i'd suggest there is a good chance he's even better personally.

YES we definately need to take into account how contracted Brighton players will react when signing other players. Escpecially loan players that potentially will replace them in the side !

Your right he must be better then if he cost 4 times as much...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If this were to be a permanent deal for Wickham, I would say yes, swap him for Bridcutt and Buckley, and I wouldn't even be bothered that there is no cash adjustment.

As for those saying we couldn't afford his wages, he was signed by Sunderland as a promising 17/18 year old, how much do you really think they were willing to throw at him? I wouldn't be surprised if he is on a lot less than people are assuming.

But if its a loan which means we get less than half what we are asking for Bridcutt..... i dont think tony bloom will go for that to be honest, if we dont go up we cant afford to buy Wickham, and will have lost 1 maybe 2 of the best players we have had in a very long time.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
YES we definately need to take into account how contracted Brighton players will react when signing other players. Escpecially loan players that potentially will replace them in the side !

Your right he must be better then if he cost 4 times as much...

1. You don't know it would be a loan.
2. You don't know if Leo and Wickham would play together.

Other than that, do carry on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
1. You don't know it would be a loan.
2. You don't know if Leo and Wickham would play together.

Other than that, do carry on.

If...... its a buy.... which i dont beleive it is then i would be delighted to add Wickham to the squad, I have already said that.

And all I am going on is that we have played 1 up front for the last 3 years, there is nothng to suggest this will change.

And as far as I am aware Wickham has been nothing other than a down the middle centre forward the whole of his career.

I fail to see where at present he will fit into the side, other than fitting him into a left sided role of a front 3 which I dont believe is his position.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If...... its a buy.... which i dont beleive it is then i would be delighted to add Wickham to the squad, I have already said that.

And all I am going on is that we have played 1 up front for the last 3 years, there is nothng to suggest this will change.

And as far as I am aware Wickham has been nothing other than a down the middle centre forward the whole of his career.

I fail to see where at present he will fit into the side, other than fitting him into a left sided role of a front 3 which I dont believe is his position.

I think we have yet to see what Oscar will do with our 4-3-3. To repeat, this is why I am excited by CMS's return. I honestly believe he will play WITH Leo. Wickham? Who knows? But, you are assuming too much when you say his arrival WOULD p1ss Leo off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's a lot being spoken about Bridcutt and Wickham but I'm concerned about the loss of Buckley.

Gus knows what it takes to be a Prem player and he clearly thinks Buckley is capable of making the grade. If there's one player who will benefit most from the new training facilities opening in 6 months time it's Buckley. I reckon the deterioration in performance is mainly down to fitness and I fancy he could be a key player in 2014/15.

This deal might not look so good in 4 months time if we've finished 7th, Wickham goes back to Sunderland and we've lost Bridcutt and Buckley permanently.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think we have yet to see what Oscar will do with our 4-3-3. To repeat, this is why I am excited by CMS's return. I honestly believe he will play WITH Leo. Wickham? Who knows? But, you are assuming too much when you say his arrival WOULD p1ss Leo off.

you dont think it will piss Leo off if hes not in the side ?, and In my opinion Wickham can only play Leo's role.
IF he can play a wide role with Leo then I would be delighted.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I think if we have the correct personnel then I think Oscar would be flexible in his formations. If he did have Ulloa and Wickham I think he would definitely like a look at the two of them together. It would suit his philosophy of getting the ball forward quickly.

Already this squad is changing quite radically from the one Oscar inherited and different players bring different possibilities for the coach. I see Oscar as pragmatic rather than dogmatic coach, one who is happy to maximise the potential of the skill-sets that the players have, rather than forever banging a round peg into a square hole.

I am coming round to the idea of Wickham swap deal as being potentially very interesting for us.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Fwiw, I think wickham can play the Barnes roll, and would probably be better at it, cms can replace Buckley on the other side of a front 3.

But I still wouldn't want us to compromise too much on the combined fee of Bridcutt and Buckley for a player who would only be on loan.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
bridcutt , buckley out, wickham in + 1.5 million ,
no sell ons , no loans , straight up deal .
otherwise ....
feck arf gus and stop
being a cant......???:p

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe, but nothing indcates a shift in team formation. A system that is working very well, and has done for the last 3 years.

Wickham will only come on loan if he is guaranteed a start, and that for me finishes the career of Ulloa with us.
But we have had a shift in formation, we started the season with numerous attempts to get Buckley playing more centrally 'off' Ulloa.
Sure they failed every time, and then OG ran out of players.

But it's why I still have high hopes for CMS and/or someone else.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why do I keep hearing wickham is only loan? In return for bridcutt and bucker?

That will never happen. Wickham goes back in the summer and we've lost two of our best players. I trust the club to do the right thing and they'll get the best deal possible for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here