Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to AFC Bournemouth on securing promotion to the Premier League

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Funny that you should write that. In the 1956-57 season, Bournemouth and Boscombe (as they were then known) beat Billy Wright's Wolves and Danny Blanchflower's Spurs in the FA Cup before losing narrowly 2-1 to the Busby Babes in the Quarter-Final. Arguably Bournemouth's greatest moment...before this evening.

A special night for my father who introduced me to football and the Albion. He'll be turning 80 this year and grew up watching Bournemouth at Dean Court. He frequently mentioned watching that great Cup run which he saw unfold as a 20 year old. Halcyon days for them.

Just as many of us have special memories of the 1978-1979 season or the 1983 Cup run, this will mean just as much to lifelong supporters of Bournemouth.

It would be churlish and small-minded of any genuine supporter of the beautiful game, let alone those of the Albion, to dismiss their moment in the sun. As most of us love attacking football, it would've been harsh for the Championship's top scorers to have missed out. One would hope that parochial bragging rights on the South Coast can be set aside for one evening at least.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the Albion in the top flight again, it'll be refreshing to see a decent footballing team like Bournemouth mix it with the established Premiership sides. It should give hope to every other team that lives in the shadows of geographically closer and historically more-successful neighbours that they can do the same.

Wonderful stuff. Only the most miserable of churls could disagree but there's a few of those about these days, generally with the greenest of eyes.

I suspect Shirt Senior is currently rather looking forward to next year's fixtures coming out. Ah I remember that...

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Apologies if this has already been posted, I am not going to read back through 400+ posts

Good work by Bournemouth and their fans are entitled to celebrate of course. Didn't spend a fortune and played excellent attacking football all season

But (genuinely) I'd still prefer to be in a position of knowing who owns and controls the club I support. And being able to meet them face to face on occasions and hear about their plans directly. Bournemouth are actually in a very dodgy situation in my opinion and promotion to the Premier league could make things worse in the long run:

https://www.theoffshoregame.net/3bn-in-the-uks-offshore-football-league/

Ideally of course clubs should be owned by the fans. But that remains a pipe dream for most in the UK (outside of Lewes).

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Bournemouth have shown what going into administration, paying their creditors ten pence in the pound, and then being bought by a dodgy Russian billionaire can achieve. Well done to them…

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Will Eddie Howe stick there ? A bit like Owen Coil when Burnley got promoted and a bigger club soon came sniffing and he was off. If Howe goes along with his staff Bournemouth will PLUMMET and if he stays they will be whipping boys

Howe will stay there. He tried moving to Burnley, didn't like it oop North and got back down to B'muff as quick as his little legs could carry him there. He's B'muff born and bred, he's a very big fish in a small sea, Demin will ensure he gets paid a decent wedge, he'll get the players he wants and they will have an ok couple of seasons in the Premiershit before the dream fades and they get relegated back down with £50 notes flying out of their back pockets.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Howe will stay there. He tried moving to Burnley, didn't like it oop North and got back down to B'muff as quick as his little legs could carry him there. He's B'muff born and bred, he's a very big fish in a small sea, Demin will ensure he gets paid a decent wedge, he'll get the players he wants and they will have an ok couple of seasons in the Premiershit before the dream fades and they get relegated back down with £50 notes flying out of their back pockets.
if they stay 2 seasons that would be great for them and of course they'll be loaded. The Monaco of England?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Really? Interesting stat!

Not really. If you accept the Prem is any different from the old Division 1, which it isn't, you'll know it was formed just over 20 years ago when Albion were heading for the bottom, possibly going out go the league/business and about to have no ground. Luckily they were allowed to play at Gillingham then the shed at Withdean, the latter with a tiny capacity by football league standards.
After years on tenter hooks they were finally able to play at a decent stadium 4 years ago. To moan about them not having played in the top division which is wrong anyway, is a joke and by the way, a bit embarrassing because it makes out that we think we're bigger than the the likes of Preston and Huddersfield who have great heritage.
Simster is the classic JCL ruining the image of the game.

Not really. If you accept the Prem is any different from the old Division 1, which it isn't, you'll know it was formed just over 20 years ago when Albion were heading for the bottom, possibly going out go the league/business and about to have no ground. Luckily they were allowed to play at Gillingham then the shed at Withdean, the latter with a tiny capacity by football league standards.
After years on tenter hooks they were finally able to play at a decent stadium 4 years ago. To moan about them not having played in the top division which is wrong anyway, is a joke and by the way, a bit embarrassing because it makes out that we think we're bigger than the the likes of Preston and Huddersfield who have great heritage.

I thought we played Notts County for a place in the Premiere League when it was formed.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Ah OK, but hardly going out of the league then when it was formed.

Brighton were heading down towards the bottom. In 1991 they had missed out on promotion to the 1st division. The following season they got relegated to the old 3rd division. In the first season the Prem existed we were in the 3rd tier and a few seasons later fighting to stay in the league with no ground.
Things picked up when we got to play at the tiny Withdean. We did not get a proper stadium to hold decent crowds until 4 years ago, if you ignore the last few seasons at the crumbling Goldstone.
Anyway, the point is, the fact we have not got round to playing in the Premier League is perfectly understandable unless you are a JCL.

Last edited:

Why don't you actually read what I said and then go and check the facts then come back?

I did, you're talking bollocks.

1997 we lost the ground, a full 5 years after the formation of the Premiere League, so my point stands that we were hardly going out of the league/business at that time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Do you even know what a JCL is? (Hint: I've been going since 1981)

Just because I pointed out the obvious earlier this morning - that you're boring and totally unfunny - please don't feel the need to follow me around the board criticising my every post. It's very feeble and coming from a simpleton like you, it's not really getting under my skin in the way you probably hope I'm afraid.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I did, you're talking bollocks.

1997 we lost the ground, a full 5 years after the formation of the Premiere League, so my point stands that we were hardly going out of the league/business at that time.
That's charming!

Last edited:

Just because I pointed out the obvious earlier this morning - that you're boring and totally unfunny - please don't feel the need to follow me around the board criticising my every post. It's very feeble and coming from a simpleton like you, it's not really getting under my skin in the way you probably hope I'm afraid.

Looks like the idiot has branded me one too.

Mortified at that, not sure I'll ever recover.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Charming!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here