Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations to AFC Bournemouth on securing promotion to the Premier League

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I know it's an Nsc mantra, but who knows if those three players would have developed their games, in the same way, had they stayed with us? Somehow I doubt it.

Edited to add, you can also blame the board for only offering one year deals to Elphick & Cook when Bournemouth offered them three year deals.

True, hindsight is wonderful. In Elphick and Murray though they had proven themselves more than able.

Vis a vis the board only offerring them one year I am less than certain. Burke and Poyet had such involvement I'm sure but not T or PB.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True, hindsight is wonderful. In Elphick and Murray though they had proven themselves more than able.

Vis a vis the board only offerring them one year I am less than certain. Burke and Poyet had such involvement I'm sure but not T or PB.

Elphick had just got over a very bad injury, which took two operations to put right. He was 4th choice defender, so a bench warmer at best. It wasn't really known if he would develop any more because of the Achilles, & he had the chance of regular football at a division below.
Looking at Dunk's development & the two Bournemouth boys, I suspect it wouldn't have been as good.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well done Bournemouth.
Very pleased for them and well deserved.
If only we had a manager like Eddie Howe.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Gutted that they have got to the promised land before us but congratulations. No fluke either, played full on attacking football all season. Stats say they scored the most goals, most attacks, best possession, most shots on target etc. Cannot argue with that, good luck to them. Even if they come straight back down they will have had a year there, gained load of new local fans and 3 years of parachute payments.

Funny that you should write that. In the 1956-57 season, Bournemouth and Boscombe (as they were then known) beat Billy Wright's Wolves and Danny Blanchflower's Spurs in the FA Cup before losing narrowly 2-1 to the Busby Babes in the Quarter-Final. Arguably Bournemouth's greatest moment...before this evening.

A special night for my father who introduced me to football and the Albion. He'll be turning 80 this year and grew up watching Bournemouth at Dean Court. He frequently mentioned watching that great Cup run which he saw unfold as a 20 year old. Halcyon days for them.

Just as many of us have special memories of the 1978-1979 season or the 1983 Cup run, this will mean just as much to lifelong supporters of Bournemouth.

It would be churlish and small-minded of any genuine supporter of the beautiful game, let alone those of the Albion, to dismiss their moment in the sun. As most of us love attacking football, it would've been harsh for the Championship's top scorers to have missed out. One would hope that parochial bragging rights on the South Coast can be set aside for one evening at least.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the Albion in the top flight again, it'll be refreshing to see a decent footballing team like Bournemouth mix it with the established Premiership sides. It should give hope to every other team that lives in the shadows of geographically closer and historically more-successful neighbours that they can do the same.

Nice - hope your dad gets to see some of their games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny that you should write that. In the 1956-57 season, Bournemouth and Boscombe (as they were then known) beat Billy Wright's Wolves and Danny Blanchflower's Spurs in the FA Cup before losing narrowly 2-1 to the Busby Babes in the Quarter-Final. Arguably Bournemouth's greatest moment...before this evening.

A special night for my father who introduced me to football and the Albion. He'll be turning 80 this year and grew up watching Bournemouth at Dean Court. He frequently mentioned watching that great Cup run which he saw unfold as a 20 year old. Halcyon days for them.

Just as many of us have special memories of the 1978-1979 season or the 1983 Cup run, this will mean just as much to lifelong supporters of Bournemouth.

It would be churlish and small-minded of any genuine supporter of the beautiful game, let alone those of the Albion, to dismiss their moment in the sun. As most of us love attacking football, it would've been harsh for the Championship's top scorers to have missed out. One would hope that parochial bragging rights on the South Coast can be set aside for one evening at least.

As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the Albion in the top flight again, it'll be refreshing to see a decent footballing team like Bournemouth mix it with the established Premiership sides. It should give hope to every other team that lives in the shadows of geographically closer and historically more-successful neighbours that they can do the same.

This.

There is no love lost for Bournemouth from me, and tbh I wish they hadn't gone up (partly out of jealousy), but the 4,000 or so hard core Bournemouth fans who have been going ever since I've been following football certainly deserve their season in the top flight. I am delighted for them really.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fair play to them. Whatever our misgivings about their finances, what money they spent they spent wisely. In Eddie Howe they have a manager who is just perfect for them, for the most part they played excellent attacking football and when they wobbled they regained their composure and finished the job. They have been promoted on merit and it would be churlish to not congratulate them. Really pleased for Elphick as the captain, a nice lad and I am delighted for him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By the way, from memory, I think this now means that Albion are officially in the minority of current league clubs who have NEVER played in the top division in the Sky era.

Bollocks! :down:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
This.

There is no love lost for Bournemouth from me, and tbh I wish they hadn't gone up (partly out of jealousy), but the 4,000 or so hard core Bournemouth fans who have been going ever since I've been following football certainly deserve their season in the top flight. I am delighted for them really.

You seem to be a bit vague old boy. I take it you have passed an isometric test.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

Superb post. This, all day long. :bowdown:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think it's brilliant, what an embarrassment to the Premier League this is (I actually like it as a ground, good away day, but international fans will be thinking WTF)

afcbournemouth-cb04407a.jpg

No worse than Bloomfield Road a couple of years back.

I actually think they will stay up next year, they are a bit like Burnley this year but with goals.

A couple of decent/solid signings and they should be OK.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You seem to be a bit vague old boy. I take it you have passed an isometric test.

What does passing a muscular function test have to do with being a bit vague?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here