Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Coming off Anti Depressants

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
This has just popped up due to a like on my post, so I thought I'd ask how everyone is doing?

Lenny, still doing good I hope?

All the other posters I hope you're in good places mentally, and if not then feel free to drop me a PM if you fancy a chat. I can't claim that I'll be any help but always happy to lend an ear.
Spent the evening looking after my 4 month old Grandson, Stanley, life’s never going to be perfect or stress free but 10 months off the AD’s and I’m In a very good place.

Hope all the other posters are on the same path moving forward, the prospect of Europe certainly helps. ⚽🍾

Thanks for asking.❤️

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I've just come off Sertraline after nearly 10 years. I took it really slowly and gradually reduced my dose starting after I retired last June. I did this with support from my GP and therapist, cutting dose from 100mg / day last summer ( I was 150mg two years ago) then 75 and 50 over autumn winter. I took nearly 4 months to go from 25 to 0. A few minor wobbles on the way such as low esteem, occasionally a sense of hopelessness and bouts of bad dreams, but I'm fine now and really pleased to have stopped.

But they were really helpful when I was working and stopped me spirally down and/or doing anything I'd later regret. Good luck to anyone on antidepressants and thinking about coming off them. I'd recommend help from your GP / therapist and don't go too quickly.

I've also got a 5 week old grandson to help me along now! :)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I've just come off Sertraline after nearly 10 years. I took it really slowly and gradually reduced my dose starting after I retired last June. I did this with support from my GP and therapist, cutting dose from 100mg / day last summer ( I was 150mg two years ago) then 75 and 50 over autumn winter. I took nearly 4 months to go from 25 to 0. A few minor wobbles on the way such as low esteem, occasionally a sense of hopelessness and bouts of bad dreams, but I'm fine now and really pleased to have stopped.

But they were really helpful when I was working and stopped me spirally down and/or doing anything I'd later regret. Good luck to anyone on antidepressants and thinking about coming off them. I'd recommend help from your GP / therapist and don't go too quickly.

Elbow congratulations old boy 🍾

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Also recently have stopped not easy but as much a mental thought process as much as anything. . But one day at a time agree with removing the stress in your life but that means getting shot of the wife 😂 . Trying to cut back on work and dare I say footy and live life to the full as brother in law diagnosed and passed away with cancer in 41 days over new year so it’s been tough supporting my sister but got to keep pushing forward . Anyway good luck bud

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s interesting how youneeded them whilst working, but (touch wood) eventually don’t now retired.

What do you put that down to? The stress of working life, the rat race, having to put a brave face on every day at work?

It makes sense.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Was originally on Sertraline then moved on to Venlafaxine, with the upcoming arrival of the first Grandchild and my staged retirement, I made the conscious effort in early July after speaking to my GP to come off them, went down to half dose for a month to start with, tomorrow marks a full two weeks without any drugs.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons another factor was a couple of doom merchants told me I would probably always have to take them, which wasn’t an option.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing?

And do you have any observations or pointers?

Clearly it’s a very personal thing, so if anyone prefers to PM me instead, that’s fine.

In the main, despite the unprecedented national circumstances recently, it’s been all good, doing lots of walking, couple of anxious moments but that’s part of life, one of the things my Doc told was to remove all the deadwood from my life but that takes a bit of time 😂

Thank you for reading.

Harty
You can do it Harty well done so far if you have a bad day double down in your head and say feck you im gonna win this one. Good luck i know how hard it is but you are the boss.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I probably did it totally the wrong way but I basically came off Sertraline cold turkey. Remarkably didn’t suffer any side effects or withdrawals. Perhaps it shows that they weren’t the right drug for me, as I feel immeasurably better off them than I did whilst taking them.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Deleted

Last edited:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
It’s interesting how youneeded them whilst working, but (touch wood) eventually don’t now retired.

What do you put that down to? The stress of working life, the rat race, having to put a brave face on every day at work?

It makes sense.
Yes, pressure of work took its toll in my early fifties. Too much work, booze and threats of redundancy became too much and I needed some help. Family, sertraline and therapy supported me through some difficult times, but I'm pleased to say I'm in much better place now.

Sertraline helped my mood and a very good therapist broke a doom spiral of catastrophization and anger issues. I realised I didn't need to worry so much. Once over age 55 my situation turned, and work refused to actually make me redundant despite despite not giving me a permanent contract in the 2 reshuffles and 3 calls for voluntary redundancy. I spent a few years fighting, then learnt to go with the flow. Some very interesting temporary contracts followed and after 8 years I got a permanent job I loved which saw me through to retirement. It was tough but worked out well in the end.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, pressure of work took its toll in my early fifties. Too much work, booze and threats of redundancy became too much and I needed some help. Family, sertraline and therapy supported me through some difficult times, but I'm pleased to say I'm in much better place now.

Sertraline helped my mood and a very good therapist broke a doom spiral of catastrophization and anger issues. I realised I didn't need to worry so much. Once over age 55 my situation turned, and work refused to actually make me redundant despite despite not giving me a permanent contract in the 2 reshuffles and 3 calls for voluntary redundancy. I spent a few years fighting, then learnt to go with the flow. Some very interesting temporary contracts followed and after 8 years I got a permanent job I loved which saw me through to retirement. It was tough but worked out well in the end.

Thank you for sharing that, I’m so pleased it worked out well for you in the end. Proof imho that the combination of meds and therapy is effective.

I really believe that a horrible employer in itself can cause mental health issues. I’ve always said I’d advise my kids to leave a job asap if they were unhappy working for a xxxx.

All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here