Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Coming off Anti Depressants

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My GP has left it to me to decide and in the absence of side effects (other than weight gain & tiredness) I have decided to continue with them but at a much lower rate and the weight gain and sleepiness are greatly reduced.

Good man. Best of luck with it :thumbsup:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I recently tapered off duloxetine and even using the GPs recommended schedule the side effects were awful so I took some advice from the internet which helped a lot. Duloxetine is known to be very bad for withdrawal, so there is absolutely nothing to say you’d have similar effects. I’m now 3 months off the tablets completely and the side effects are gone completely.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
You’re evidently quite angry, plus what you’ve subsequently decided to share shows you’ve not had the easiest times with mental health. I hope you manage to find some peace, get help needed and/or perhaps lashing out on NSC helps too. Better here to a stranger than otherwise. Stay safe, be kind to yourself and others too. Life’s a bit short for anything else.

Thankyou , and apologies for the way i handled it .

D

Deleted member 2719

Was originally on Sertraline then moved on to Venlafaxine, with the upcoming arrival of the first Grandchild and my staged retirement, I made the conscious effort in early July after speaking to my GP to come off them, went down to half dose for a month to start with, tomorrow marks a full two weeks without any drugs.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons another factor was a couple of doom merchants told me I would probably always have to take them, which wasn’t an option.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing?

And do you have any observations or pointers?

Clearly it’s a very personal thing, so if anyone prefers to PM me instead, that’s fine.

In the main, despite the unprecedented national circumstances recently, it’s been all good, doing lots of walking, couple of anxious moments but that’s part of life, one of the things my Doc told was to remove all the deadwood from my life but that takes a bit of time 😂

Thank you for reading.

Harty

Well done Lenny, :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Get down the Amex and get that grandkid their first Albion attire, that will give you a major boost!

Your doctor is bang on getting rid of deadwood I am looking to shift a stack of it from on here!

all the best.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Good thread. I've always suffered from low mood, put it partly down to just my personality (I enjoy a lot of things but normally from the edges, it's just the way it's always been) and inherited (my mum has big issues). Did have a crisis of stress (a combo, as it always is, of stress from a best man speech at the same time as a failing relationship coming to a head and a hell of a lot of work stress with the CQC at same time as staff man-management issues). Tried a combo of setraline, mindful cbt and dog walking which helped a lot. I thought it was the combination of all 3 at the time but in retrospect I think it was mostly the setraline. Anyway came off too soon (gave myself 12 months, silly restriction I put on myself). Then was made redundant just before covid and elderly parent illness and decline since has meant I'm only just back to doing a bit of part time work. During lockdown I did try the setraline again but unlike the first time i had side effects (mostly lethargy, which really didn't help me at all) and no positive effect at all oddly this time so.... i just stopped them, probably stupidly. But the GPs were only phone consultations and barely got 5 minutes with a different one each time. I've been toying on going back on them but I can't continue stop start stop start and I generally have a mistrust of them really so continue to try other things (maybe unwisely).
As mentioned above I've tried the wim hof methods - I lurve a cold shower and do the breathing but it hasn't had much affect disappointingly, although i do continue. I eat healthily and when i exercise (i've just done 20 mins on the ski trainer) I realise after I feel much better. Must do more. I have a bad knee though so it does limit my exercise nowadays, but the positive effects of something physical should really not be underestimated.
Currently, I'm trying a vitamin b6 supplement as there was a positive study on this vitamin and it's effect on depression and anxiety, if of any interest to anyone.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/hup.2852
Again though, no change to me yet haha. Sometimes I just think this is who I am, just accept it.

sorry for the ramble but yeah I'm still pondering whether to go back on ad's so it's an interesting thread, as it's the coming off that bothers me more than the going on.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was originally on Sertraline then moved on to Venlafaxine, with the upcoming arrival of the first Grandchild and my staged retirement, I made the conscious effort in early July after speaking to my GP to come off them, went down to half dose for a month to start with, tomorrow marks a full two weeks without any drugs.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons another factor was a couple of doom merchants told me I would probably always have to take them, which wasn’t an option.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing?

And do you have any observations or pointers?

Clearly it’s a very personal thing, so if anyone prefers to PM me instead, that’s fine.

In the main, despite the unprecedented national circumstances recently, it’s been all good, doing lots of walking, couple of anxious moments but that’s part of life, one of the things my Doc told was to remove all the deadwood from my life but that takes a bit of time 😂

Thank you for reading.

Harty

I am not an expert on this type of medication but you’re doing it with your GP’s approval and guidance and that is all the advice I would have given you.

I can only offer you my sincere good wishes and the very best of luck. The fact that you are thinking about a positive life without anti-depressants is a VERY positive thing indeed.

Best of British to you, Lenny.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good thread. I've always suffered from low mood, put it partly down to just my personality (I enjoy a lot of things but normally from the edges, it's just the way it's always been) and inherited (my mum has big issues). Did have a crisis of stress (a combo, as it always is, of stress from a best man speech at the same time as a failing relationship coming to a head and a hell of a lot of work stress with the CQC at same time as staff man-management issues). Tried a combo of setraline, mindful cbt and dog walking which helped a lot. I thought it was the combination of all 3 at the time but in retrospect I think it was mostly the setraline. Anyway came off too soon (gave myself 12 months, silly restriction I put on myself). Then was made redundant just before covid and elderly parent illness and decline since has meant I'm only just back to doing a bit of part time work. During lockdown I did try the setraline again but unlike the first time i had side effects (mostly lethargy, which really didn't help me at all) and no positive effect at all oddly this time so.... i just stopped them, probably stupidly. But the GPs were only phone consultations and barely got 5 minutes with a different one each time. I've been toying on going back on them but I can't continue stop start stop start and I generally have a mistrust of them really so continue to try other things (maybe unwisely).
As mentioned above I've tried the wim hof methods - I lurve a cold shower and do the breathing but it hasn't had much affect disappointingly, although i do continue. I eat healthily and when i exercise (i've just done 20 mins on the ski trainer) I realise after I feel much better. Must do more. I have a bad knee though so it does limit my exercise nowadays, but the positive effects of something physical should really not be underestimated.
Currently, I'm trying a vitamin b6 supplement as there was a positive study on this vitamin and it's effect on depression and anxiety, if of any interest to anyone.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/hup.2852
Again though, no change to me yet haha. Sometimes I just think this is who I am, just accept it.

sorry for the ramble but yeah I'm still pondering whether to go back on ad's so it's an interesting thread.

There’s an interesting book by a psychologist (I’m on a train right now, I can’t look it up), where part of his therapy is acceptance. That ups and downs are completely normal. In addition, that the ‘happy’ people who are admired, are going through the same. They unknowingly developed or worked on a whole host of little techniques to make each potentially sad event manageable, all adding up to a happier day and life. These little techniques and thought processes can be learnt by anyone willing. It’s a virtuous circle, in the end it becomes second nature. It’s also reassuring to know everyone’s in the same boat.

Your story is incredibly common, all the best in finding the solutions for you.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well done for getting off them. Life can have so many highs and lows and the stress of trying to live through it without a crutch of some kind, be it alcohol or tablets can seem impossible... well done.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Full respect to you Lenny, for having a damn good go at getting off the anti-depressants and I'm sure you'll succeed pal. What have you felt like in the time you were on them and now coming off fully? When I first started taking paroxetine they were bloody awful. It felt like there was a fog in my head and I lost my libido completely in my mid-twenties. Very frustrating so I stopped taking them after six months. The only withdrawal was electric shocks-like going off in my head. It's hard to explain but once they stopped and I got off them it was such a relief. I now take mirtazapine which act as a sleeping drug and have no nasty side-effects. I've been on them for over ten years and without them I don't know what I'd do. Just one tablet before bed. The reason I started taking anti-depressants was heavy ecstasy use when I was younger which knocked all the serotonin out of my head.

If you don't mind me asking, how well do you get on with your doctor? Do you feel that they devote enough time to what you feel is the best thing going forward? The pressures on NHS doctors are crippling but last week my GP was as good as gold for an urgent blood test. Follow-up was good and she really did her best for me. Quite hot too! :D She's just started so I requested that I really want her to be my doctor now as my current one at Northlands Wood is soon to retire.

I found a change of diet was as good as an anti-depressant. More fruit and vegetables- even the ones I weren't keen on like spinach! :sick: But bananas truly are the best. It's no coincidence you see tennis players get through them like smarties at Wimbledon and all the other tournaments.

Really pleased for you that you're going to be a grandfather! I also hope you have a very happy and long retirement. So the crux of my message is do what you really feel is right for you. If you feel like you need help then look into mirtazapine. Quite a few people I've met over the years at work or other places have taken them to help them out. I have the utmost faith in you that you'll succeed in achieving your goal. I'm sure your family will support you every step of the way.

Best wishes and be kind to yourself. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Full respect to you Lenny, for having a damn good go at getting off the anti-depressants and I'm sure you'll succeed pal. What have you felt like in the time you were on them and now coming off fully? When I first started taking paroxetine they were bloody awful. It felt like there was a fog in my head and I lost my libido completely in my mid-twenties. Very frustrating so I stopped taking them after six months. The only withdrawal was electric shocks-like going off in my head. It's hard to explain but once they stopped and I got off them it was such a relief. I now take mirtazapine which act as a sleeping drug and have no nasty side-effects. I've been on them for over ten years and without them I don't know what I'd do. Just one tablet before bed. The reason I started taking anti-depressants was heavy ecstasy use when I was younger which knocked all the serotonin out of my head.

If you don't mind me asking, how well do you get on with your doctor? Do you feel that they devote enough time to what you feel is the best thing going forward? The pressures on NHS doctors are crippling but last week my GP was as good as gold for an urgent blood test. Follow-up was good and she really did her best for me. Quite hot too! :D She's just started so I requested that I really want her to be my doctor now as my current one at Northlands Wood is soon to retire.

I found a change of diet was as good as an anti-depressant. More fruit and vegetables- even the ones I weren't keen on like spinach! :sick: But bananas truly are the best. It's no coincidence you see tennis players get through them like smarties at Wimbledon and all the other tournaments.

Really pleased for you that you're going to be a grandfather! I also hope you have a very happy and long retirement. So the crux of my message is do what you really feel is right for you. If you feel like you need help then look into mirtazapine. Quite a few people I've met over the years at work or other places have taken them to help them out. I have the utmost faith in you that you'll succeed in achieving your goal. I'm sure your family will support you every step of the way.

Best wishes and be kind to yourself. :thumbsup:

A family friend has taken one Mirtazaline each evening for circa 5 years. A game changer, they’re far happier, sleep well and are able to enjoy life.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
At the risk of being stupefyingly obvious, try not to be impatient when coming off them. I had a game I wanted to go to but didn't want to see people without inhaling a truckload of vodka, which is always horrible on meds. So I just stopped them two weeks before. Spent the rest of the month sitting in a seat right up the end of the stadium because I felt so terrible. For some reason I told a steward and they were great about it and allowed me to stick to the seat for a while but anyway...yeah, take your time and up it again if you feel off.

Also: it's totally fine to stay on them forever! Life is hard! If it makes you a better relative/mate/colleague, I always think that's a good motivation to do what I have to.

Good luck - you deserve it. If you ever need to talk shit to a monotone ballbag, want a double rum and coke etc etc...

Good luck to Harty who has never been less than entertaining and morale boosting to the rest of us in his colourful contributions to all things Albion

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread also the mental health one to which I have also these comments - the phrase "a problem shared is a problem halved" springs to mind.

I have been on anti depressants for the past 12 or so years - Citalopran initially but recently changed to Sertraline which seems to help.

My main issue is "catastrophising" - basically worrying about things that mostly never happen. Youngest is off to Uni shortly, oldest is quite content (currently) to stay at home, studying and working a few days a week. Both good girls but am not looking forward to an "empty nest" in the not too far distant future. I am trying to exercise at the gym which seems to help.

I wish you all well with your own issues and hope for a good run of results to cheer us all up!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread also the mental health one to which I have also these comments - the phrase "a problem shared is a problem halved" springs to mind.

I have been on anti depressants for the past 12 or so years - Citalopran initially but recently changed to Sertraline which seems to help.

My main issue is "catastrophising" - basically worrying about things that mostly never happen. Youngest is off to Uni shortly, oldest is quite content (currently) to stay at home, studying and working a few days a week. Both good girls but am not looking forward to an "empty nest" in the not too far distant future. I am trying to exercise at the gym which seems to help.

I wish you all well with your own issues and hope for a good run of results to cheer us all up!

Norm thank you for your post.

"Castrophisng", that old Chestnut, easy to say but I hope this helps, (and it does take time)

Try and get out for a walk or on a bike for a good 30 mins or so.

Everytime the catastrophy comes into your mind, think of red brick wall.

Then when you get home, sit in a quiet room and just right down all the pros and the cons, possibilities and probabilities, and more often than not you will realise you are worrying about either nothing or something you cannot have any bearing or effect on.

He was the most meek looking man when I first encountered him, but my Counsellor said to me "Ian, if you cannot physically change a situation yourself, or it has no bearing or impact on you, your family or your real friends, f****** bin it off, its simply not worth worrying about"

And since he said that too me a few months ago, I've implemented this edict several times and it works.

Good luck and take care old boy.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Norm thank you for your post.

"Castrophisng", that old Chestnut, easy to say but I hope this helps, (and it does take time)

Try and get out for a walk or on a bike for a good 30 mins or so.

Everytime the catastrophy comes into your mind, think of red brick wall.

Then when you get home, sit in a quiet room and just right down all the pros and the cons, possibilities and probabilities, and more often than not you will realise you are worrying about either nothing or something you cannot have any bearing or effect on.

He was the most meek looking man when I first encountered him, but my Counsellor said to me "Ian, if you cannot physically change a situation yourself, or it has no bearing or impact on you, your family or your real friends, f****** bin it off, its simply not worth worrying about"

And since he said that too me a few months ago, I've implemented this edict several times and it works.

Good luck and take care old boy.
I've been catastrophizing for a couple of years now, can't stand crowds anymore, don't really enjoy going anywhere as I'm convinced something bad will happen. One of the reason's I don't want kids as I think the world's ****ed.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But the world isn't ****ed, its come back from far worse situations than we are currently in.

Everything eventually goes full circle.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
On and off Anti Depressants all of my adult life (nearly 40).

Went back on Sertraline last summer, and now considering coming off them again as i struggle to sleep and i put on ALOT of weight (2 stone this time).

Very tempted to try alternative methods of keeping me stable - there is alot of research into microdosing going on at the moment, both within the mental health community but also at scientific level.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
This has just popped up due to a like on my post, so I thought I'd ask how everyone is doing?

Lenny, still doing good I hope?

All the other posters I hope you're in good places mentally, and if not then feel free to drop me a PM if you fancy a chat. I can't claim that I'll be any help but always happy to lend an ear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here