Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Coming off Anti Depressants

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Was originally on Sertraline then moved on to Venlafaxine, with the upcoming arrival of the first Grandchild and my staged retirement, I made the conscious effort in early July after speaking to my GP to come off them, went down to half dose for a month to start with, tomorrow marks a full two weeks without any drugs.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons another factor was a couple of doom merchants told me I would probably always have to take them, which wasn’t an option.

Has anyone else on here done a similar thing?

And do you have any observations or pointers?

Clearly it’s a very personal thing, so if anyone prefers to PM me instead, that’s fine.

In the main, despite the unprecedented national circumstances recently, it’s been all good, doing lots of walking, couple of anxious moments but that’s part of life, one of the things my Doc told was to remove all the deadwood from my life but that takes a bit of time 😂

Thank you for reading.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Can't help with the question but wishing you all the best in getting your life back to how you want.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Likewise, all the best Harty, I am sure someone will have some good advice for you, NSC is amazing for things such as this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not meant in a doom-monger way, taken for life if appropriate, makes many lives bearable and indeed far happier. No shame at all in doing that.

From what I’ve witnessed, try to reduce with the help of your GP, otherwise a quick relapse can occur.

Regarding you, I’m glad that you feel good, you’re spot on about getting fresh air and seeing the world.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
All the best with it, and enjoy your grandchild

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Was originally on Sertraline then moved on to Venlafaxine, with the upcoming arrival of the first Grandchild and my staged retirement, I made the conscious effort in early July after speaking to my GP to come off them, went down to half dose for a month to start with, tomorrow marks a full two weeks without any drugs.
Apart from the aforementioned reasons another factor was a couple of doom merchants told me I would probably always have to take them, which wasn’t an option.

Clearly it’s a very personal thing, so if anyone prefers to PM me instead, that’s fine.

In the main, despite the unprecedented national circumstances recently, it’s been all good, doing lots of walking, couple of anxious moments but that’s part of life, one of the things my Doc told was to remove all the deadwood from my life but that takes a bit of time 😂

Thank you for reading.

Harty

Genuine question, why do you want to come off them. Is the medication not doing what it’s supposed, or do you feel “better” so don’t need the tablets anymore.

I ask, as my wife is currently on anti-depressants after fighting the idea of taking them for a long time.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
I tried coming off them (sertraline) as i also didn't want to be on them permanently. Didn't work out for me and I'm better off on them. Still struggle, from time to time, but way better than not being on them. A friend of mine told me they had tried, too, but a low dose each day was what they needed to keep them going. Do what feels right for you, but don't be afraid to go back to them if you need to.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
I'm on Sertraline. Continuing to take a low dose as that is helpful for me. Did come off too quickly before and relapsed. Happy to stay in as long as needed but review every so often.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
It’s a dilemma we med takers face,
I don’t want to take them for the rest of my life but I don’t want to ever feel that bad again.
Personally I never ever want to feel so close to insanity ever again. I work away from home 60% of the year and am so utterly terrified of those feelings appearing again when I’m at home let alone if I’m away, abroad .
I’ve mentioned this to my Dr and he is basically of the opinion that as long as you don’t feel their are any serious side effects then why not just keep taking them.
I know this doesn’t address the root causes but without the cash to go private ie counselling, therapy etc , carrying on taking the meds is my only option.
I hope you do ok Harty, and I hope your grandchild gives you mountains of happiness. Good luck Mr . FWY

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Genuine question, why do you want to come off them. Is the medication not doing what it’s supposed, or do you feel “better” so don’t need the tablets anymore.

I ask, as my wife is currently on anti-depressants after fighting the idea of taking them for a long time.

When I first on them I was just over 14stone, not going to lie I enjoy my food and life in general, but weight gain is a confirmed side effect for both, I hit 16 stone earlier this summer and that in turn made me feel down.

I appreciate that some people probably need to have some form of medication for the rest of their lives to help with their mental health issues, but that doesn’t apply to everyone, at 58 I’m never going to be 10 stone dripping wet again, but I would like to think along with the healthier lifestyle and the loss of the side effects, I can get down from XL to L shirts again.

I feel better for a number of reasons, my personal life is now back on track after self sabotage, the grandchild arriving is the greatest fillup I’ve known if my life, a staged retirement is enabling me to still look after families without full time attendance at work, I’ve removed a number of toxic people in my life and I’d reached a point with all the aforementioned reasons that I felt confident I could go forward without medication.

I really hope your wife can get through her issues, and with your support she will.

I don’t want to sound like a fanatic, but there are so many ways that she can become positive.

A gratitude list every so often, really helps, put down all the positive things in her life, just looking at in on paper is really therapeutic.

Also another thing is for her, and perhaps you as well, to rekindle an old hobby, as stated on NSC previously I started collecting Subbuteo again and I also now buy and sell Airfix 1/72scale figures, it’s so uplifting you wouldn’t believe it.

Above all take care of each other, always around for a chat if it helps, either PM me or ring the office. 👍

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Great news re becoming a grandparent…..I have two grandchildren who have given and continue to give great joy …I’m sure it will be the same for you.
The staged retirement sounds a great idea…..mine will be a staged part retirement starting sometime over the next few years

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
It’s a dilemma we med takers face,
I don’t want to take them for the rest of my life but I don’t want to ever feel that bad again.
Personally I never ever want to feel so close to insanity ever again. I work away from home 60% of the year and am so utterly terrified of those feelings appearing again when I’m at home let alone if I’m away, abroad .
I’ve mentioned this to my Dr and he is basically of the opinion that as long as you don’t feel their are any serious side effects then why not just keep taking them.
I know this doesn’t address the root causes but without the cash to go private ie counselling, therapy etc , carrying on taking the meds is my only option.
I hope you do ok Harty, and I hope your grandchild gives you mountains of happiness. Good luck Mr . FWY

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I’m in agreement with several others Harty.

When Mrs Corner and I got together over 20 years ago she was on Prozac for anxiety/depression. Over time I encouraged her to try and reduce them but was never wholly successful. She was keen to as well and the GP was happy to gradually put her on something a little less strong but it was pretty clear after a while that she definitely functioned better with ‘something’! The doc’s explanation was that everybody’s brain is different and that some people DO need long-term medication to keep everything balanced. That has undoubtedly proved to be correct for her.
She has been on Venlafaxine for many years now and it is definitely the right call for her.

Don’t assume it’s a bad idea to be on such medication long term and potentially for the rest of your life. Always discuss concerns with your GP - I still think that on most occasions they do know what they’re doing.

Good luck - I’m sure you’ll make the right call for you and your family

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

Thank you for reading.

Harty

The only important thing is how YOU feel , i have cut out ADs before and slowly is the way to go , never think too quickly with them , I was on the "cure all" Fluoxitine but i drink on football days so stopped before and after , but it is a cumulative drug but it didn`t work for me , so then came Seroxat/Deroxat depending on what side of the pond you`re on . Made me feel very anxious and easy to snap at anyone giving me grief ( later found in USA to be cause of hostile actions ) no shit . Then came Anafranil , wow , every bloody side effect i had it , so hard to come down off , then One i cant remember but i had to come off it because it effected my heart , then Amitriptyline which i was told to stay away from , but for some reason worked for me .

Then i slowly stopped the dose , and eventually was free of the pills , long story short i took them again on 3 occasions , the 1st worked but the 2nd and 3rd gave me severe side effects , sertraline was my last go at ADs , but i take Diazepam and they don`t go together , i have had side effects with most of the ADs i have taken .

I tell you this from my experience , because i want to highlight how well you have done because you have used Doctors advice and good sense , i have no doubt at all you will succeed but it will be hard from time to time . GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Pleas don’t do anything without consulting your GP first.

Sorry, but NSC ain’t the place to ask advice. NHS is.

Good luck.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Thank you for reading.

Harty

May I ask why it 'wasn’t an option' my interest is that I have been on citalopram now for over 12 years , I was on a high dosage but halved it and occasionally have been down to 25% but I think it has kept me pretty steady so continue with it as I don't want to go back to what was a very bad time.

My live has changed significantly and I am in a much better place. I have retired and it was work specifically man management which pushed me over the edge but to be honest I think I was always on the edge of anxiety/OCD and then just fell in a black hole. Not sure if its the drug or change of situation which 'sorted' it so my theory is keep on with citalopram - what's the harm?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here