Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colunga Loaned Out

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
That's a shame that, he showed real signs of class. Evidently not the player Hughton was looking for. The very best of luck to him.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No one is really looking at this from Colunga's point of view, which surprises me.

He came here, and was never given a proper run in the team. He is Spanish, and a Spanish team, in a beautiful part of Spain, has told him that they want him. It is warm there, and freezing here, at the moment.

In his shoes, I would jump at the opportunity. And he has.

And who can blame him?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why can't you all get off CMS' back? This campaign of slagging him off repeatedly and wishing he was leaving is tedious, and a disgrace to the suggestion we support our players.

Absolutely. I think it's his large fee that means people harshly judge him. Yes, he's been disappointing overall but more so Since his injury. He had a fairly good first season and was just starting to find form again before the injury.
Any player who gives the effort that CMS does does NOT deserve the level of crap he gets on here. It hasn't really worked out but Jesus give him a break he's a credit to the team when he plays effort wise....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Colunga annoyed me when he got sent off for petulance & then took 30secs trudging off when we were chasing a game... And at times hasn't put the effort Id expect in.

However i did think he could be a good squad player in time. Not overly fussed though.... Better players it there...

Now pls sign Benno!!!!

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Shame, as he was quite a versatile player who you know could create a moment of magic like a perfect through ball or a little bit of that over used word, flair. Also, bit of a disappointment to see one of our few permanent summer signings get shipped out.

Also, when was the last time we loaned a player aboard?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Didn't see that one coming, one of our few players with a bit if pace but like others have said couldn't really see him fitting in out wide as defensively lacking and too light weight upfront.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
He's contributed to more goals (scored and assisted) than any other player this season so I'm surprised we've let him go. I guess he's not settled over here. We now definitely need another winger/forward before the window shuts.

Disappointed another quality player cast aside, will we ever learn?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I guess the issue with CMS is that only Peterborough could sign him on a permanent deal and play him this season as he has played for 2 clubs (FIFA rules). He could go on loan to another club for a max 93 days but if they have ambitions for the play offs they wouldn't want to do so until well into the loan window in Feb.
Ideally we presumably would only want to let him go if we had a loan to buy deal in place which we can't because his contract expires before the next transfer window. So either Posh buy him now at a knock down price or he goes on loan because we are desperate to free his wages. Otherwise he stays and walks for nothing in June.......... Assuming we don't offer him a new deal that is ???

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Very odd decision. Clearly Hughton looked at him and thought he wouldn't get a lot of match time. Can't really argue with that. It probably reflects the level of support now for COG from Hughton.

I don't suppose we've had a many stranger seasons. Toko brought in and released. COG and CMS out on loan but now back. Bent and Ash Barnes brought in on loan for a very few games. Two top young players from last season, March and Ince only now making an impact again. All that time Agustien has been taking a wage! Now another apparently significant signing is on his way out. It looks as though the Spanish days are over.

Much of this is due to the chaos of Sami Hyypia's time as manager. Hughton seems to be making some Interesting decisions

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Very odd decision. Clearly Hughton looked at him and thought he wouldn't get a lot of match time. Can't really argue with that. It probably reflects the level of support now for COG from Hughton.

I don't suppose we've had a many stranger seasons. Toko brought in and released. COG and CMS out on loan but now back. Bent and Ash Barnes brought in on loan for a very few games. Two top young players from last season, March and Ince only now making an impact again. All that time Agustien has been taking a wage! Now another apparently significant signing is on his way out. It looks as though the Spanish days are over.

Much of this is due to the chaos of Sami Hyypia's time as manager. Hughton seems to be making some Interesting decisions

I thought I was pretty much on top of all things Brighton, but I must admit, I missed the Ash Barnes loan...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I guess the issue with CMS is that only Peterborough could sign him on a permanent deal and play him this season as he has played for 2 clubs (FIFA rules). He could go on loan to another club for a max 93 days but if they have ambitions for the play offs they wouldn't want to do so until well into the loan window in Feb.

I don't think that is correct. I think the FIFA rules limit a player to playing for two clubs in one season; however, for the purposes of this rule, I believe a "long-term loan" is considered the equivalent of signing permanently, and an "emergency loan" (or short-term loan) effectively doesn't count. Hence, Glenn Murray could not join us permanently or on a long-term loan (until the end of the season) as he has already played for Palace and had a long-term loan at Reading this season. However, for CMS, as his loan at Peterborough was only short-term, it effectively doesn't count. I believe he could, therefore, still join another club permanently, or on a loan until the end of the season.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that is how it works (and I believe FIFA are not big fans of the English emergency loan system, and have already threatened to do away with it, but it lives on for the time being).

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Could drive you nuts (see sending off vs Fulham). but also has talent and flair. Would have preferred to see him stay. Can only assume as others have said that it is the players choice.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I didn't rate him, he frustrated me by not tracking back enough and not picking up players on free kicks and corners, also going forward he never followed up play and got into the box. Playing a pass and then admiring it rather than bust a gut to get on the end of the move. Not the sort of player we need imo.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why can't you all get off CMS' back? This campaign of slagging him off repeatedly and wishing he was leaving is tedious, and a disgrace to the suggestion we support our players.
Agree entirely. I still hope he'll get in a groove of good form, but ultimately, he's hard working, dedicated and tries his best. OGH was elevated to cult / legend status on very similar attributes. The only difference is the were different standards of player and both headline transfer fees!

Pity about Colunga though. Thought he showed promise. Still, if Hughton wasn't going to play him then it's a waste of wages.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I'm quite pleased about this. In my opinion he's always seemed too light weight and hasn't offered us much at all. He'll never be the main striker and Baldock looks to be much better on the left. He hasn't done it behind the striker either. Hopefully we've got someone else lined up to bring in.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I just don't get this decision.
He looks a very decent player; lightning quick too.

I think he'll score lots of goals somewhere if used correctly.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Didn't see that one coming, one of our few players with a bit if pace but like others have said couldn't really see him fitting in out wide as defensively lacking and too light weight upfront.

To be fair, you can afford to be lightweight up front if the team sets up correctly.
Just look at what Owen did.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Colunga was a poor signing by Burke. Sometimes it takes players a while to adapt to our game but unfortunately at the age of 30 time wasn't on his side. We paid quite a high fee for him which is a shame. At least with players like Lopez,Bruno,Caldy etc there wasn't a fee involved. What was Burke thinking of when he signed both Baldock and Colunga who were very similar players?
Bottom line is Hughton doesn't rate Colunga.
Funny old game though isn't it? If someone said to me last month that O'Grady would stay on and win both Albion fans and management around while Colunga was being shipped out i would have called that person an idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here