Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colunga Loaned Out

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm surprised. From what we've seen of him I thought he had pace and was a tricky little player, with a bit of skill thrown in. The kind of player who could turn a game late on in the same vein as KLL can. Just put full backs on their heels.

To me it shows what kind of game Hughton is looking to play, certainly more direct.

I think the tippy tappy FLAIR of our great 2 years of being Barca B have well and truly gone now.

I can see a more Derby-esque style coming to us (and to think only 2 years ago when they were under Clough a lot of our fans thought we a Devine right to beat them as they were shit).

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Expect Elliot Bennett to join us on loan with view to permanent transfer in the summer....
Would be nice to see Monakana given an opportunity now too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was expecting the decks to be cleared a little but was imagining Kemy, McCourt and CMS (as he only has 6 months on his contract) would be off first. I thought the Clunge may have worked as a back up to Baldock but I suppose he wanted a starting berth. I'd like to see another winger but I wouldn't be surprised to see Monakana stepping up as I've heard read things about him in the U21s.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I really liked him as a player, and he's by far the most intelligent of those we have on our books. As indicated, he's been more involved in goals than any other of our strikers. Which ought to tell people something, especially as he hasn't had that much game time.
That said, I've always wondered how he fits into our system. He's too small and slight to play up-top, and isn't really suited to playing the wide position. I, too, was hoping that if any of our strikers left, it'd be CMS. Oh well.

Agree with that. Though further to your second point, I did wonder when Hughton came in whether Colunga would be his sort of player. The fact he barely had a kick since the win at Fulham (one of his better performances) only increased those doubts, so whilst it's a shame to see him go, I don't consider it all that surprising. Of course it's entirely possible that Colunga himself simply failed to settle and pushed for a move back to Spain.

Would like to see another 'out-and-out' winger come in - someone with a genuine cross on him (in the Conway mould), as it's an option we're lacking currently. I don't necessarily see that player being Elliott Bennett, though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I liked him. Header from a corner on for a header from Dunk and a goal, and the cross for Bruno against Norwich and a goal. The long through ball for the Ince volley and a goal. Three top class assists. And two penalties and a goal early on. Done better than most with his limited opportunities. Can't complain at his pay, he earned it.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This is, as others have said, a strange move, and I'm inclined to think there must be more to it. He seemed like a player who had yet to reach his full potential in the team, but who had a reasonable chance of doing so.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well i'm sorry to see him go. Never as blistering a performance as we might have seen if he'd been given a run in the side, but he never fully fitted into the team, i suppose. If we were silky and defensively strong, then he would have had a full chance to roam and prod and flick and boot people when he lost control and do the unexpected. A shame we weren't this year. Still, i hope he likes it back in the big leagues and gets a chance to show his stuff.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think he was surplus with Baldock playing in much the same position and Teixeira preferring the second striker role. Being the oldest, I can understand it. He cannot wait on the bench at his age and it suits the Albion releasing older players that have reached their potential.

I want a wide player with pace. Elliott Bennett seems to only one remotely available right now. It might change in the summer.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Very similar player to Baldock, so not too fussed that he's gone. Although would be very keen for us to get another attacking player in now to keep the competition for places up.

Maybe we have let Colunga go because there has been some progress on the Bennett deal?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would've bet on it being CMS going out.
Strange indeed. :(

Colunga cannot have figured in Hughton's long term plans. I would guess the fee we get from Granada when he signs for them over the summer is more than the club can get by flogging CMS now. CMS will leave for nothing on June 30th.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I liked him. Header from a corner on for a header from Dunk and a goal, and the cross for Bruno against Norwich and a goal. The long through ball for the Ince volley and a goal. Three top class assists. And two penalties and a goal early on. Done better than most with his limited opportunities. Can't complain at his pay, he earned it.

Nicely taken goal against Bournemouth

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Agree

At first I thought he was really crap, and that sending off, and more so his reaction to it, infuriated me, but I thought in the last month or so he'd shown a marked improvement.
I thought that all the players have upped their game since CH has arrived due to increased confidence and styles of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here