Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS loan to Posh

He's had his moments. That second goal against Burnley back in Sept 2012 still remains the best finish I've ever seen by a Brighton player (the first goal he scored that day was tidy as as well). It was a travesty that that goal wasn't voted Goal of the Season; although it may have been because only about 350 Brighton fans were there to see it live.

Greer's wasn't too bad either.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that it's probably best that he moves on (we won't see him in an Albion shirt again now) but personally I am really gutted, although couldn't really give you a great explanation as to why.

I think it's some sort of mixture of the fact that he clearly was so highly-rated before we signed him, had some great early games (Leeds at the Amex), is obviously such a nice guy who seems to appreciate being a professional footballer, and us signing him for £2.5 million ahead of the likes of West Ham was so symbolic of the new era this club was entering into (esp for those of us that put £5 pocket money into a bucket to buy Rod Thomas).

I've always insisted under different managers and with a bit of injury luck it would come good, really sad that it hasn't.
All this.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
CMS hasn't featured much all season. He is surplus to requirements as we have a CMS clone in Baldock. His time is up at the Albion.

I wish him well at Boro

While I agree that Baldock is a CMS clone - I would have also expected CMS to have seized some of the chances created for Baldock that he either failed to arrive for or should have at least got on target. The 'Boro and Blackburn games come to mind. Let's hope Sam gets his act together.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
On the subject of COG and our chances of getting rid of him - I was interested to note that the Norwich City programme was claiming he cost us around £2 million!!!!!!! I don't fancy our chances of recouping that!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Got to be up there as one of our worst signings ever.

Don't get me wrong he's miles away from being the worst player but for the money we paid for him......

He was basically an VERY expensive Gary Hart.

Wouldn't surprise me if the deal MacAnthony has done for him involve a price to buy him in Jan. £500k??

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Don't get me wrong he's miles away from being the worst player but for the money we paid for him......

Wouldn't surprise me if the deal MacAnthony has done for him involve a price to buy him in Jan. £500k??

Reasonable price.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
While I agree that Baldock is a CMS clone - I would have also expected CMS to have seized some of the chances created for Baldock that he either failed to arrive for or should have at least got on target. The 'Boro and Blackburn games come to mind. Let's hope Sam gets his act together.

I think we could all potentially fall into the trap of remembering CMS as being better than he was, he missed more than his fair share of chances. Baldock can perform a similar role whilst being cheaper and younger.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sounds reasonable....but then Bent is only here for a month (will it get extended?) so i would have thought A.nother striker would need to be here (hopefully before) any sale takes place.

Last edited:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
More expensive Alex Revell - although ironically the original is now in the Championship

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
He's had his moments. That second goal against Burnley back in Sept 2012 still remains the best finish I've ever seen by a Brighton player (the first goal he scored that day was tidy as as well). It was a travesty that that goal wasn't voted Goal of the Season; although it may have been because only about 350 Brighton fans were there to see it live.

As I recall the goal scored in the first half of that game was also a cracker though not quite as spectacular as the overhead.

Shame, great guy who was employed in totally the wrong way and who was still our leading scorer in the championship up until the time of his injury.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
really is a shame to see him go having never really cut it. he is such a great guy who always gives his all for the team, but it just has not worked for him, or us.

To be honest whenever he comes on it never really gives the reassurance that a goal is likely to come, but it's a shame all that effort for such little return

good luck Craig for the future.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wonder if this is wise....Darren Bents loan so far is only till Jan....after that if we cannot re sign Bent...what then ?

I know Burke-bashing is a favourite sport (far more than supporting the Albion) is a popular pastime on this site, but don't you think he's got one of his lists going? In terms of Bent, either he does great, as he used to, and a PL team will come in for him in January, or there will be a few teams in the Championship after him for the rest of the season. Or, he's out-of-shape, lazy, bad attitude, and doesn't do anything for us, and then he'll struggle to get a decent offer in the summer.
I'm very optimistic about him: 10+ England caps, 150-odd PL goals at about 1 every 3, and with his entire playing future on the line, and he comes to us, a decent side, lacking a goal-scoring, line-leading striker. And he's got all the attributes we need, and our style needs: clinical finishing, a record way beyond any of us really could have hoped for, strength, power, pace, mobility.
And re CMS, Buzzer has it perfectly.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I don't think we ever played to his strengths. Too many games he was up front on his own and that's clearly not where he's best. I wish he had been fit and had the chance to play with ulloa up front then maybe we'd have seen him playing to his full potential. Yes we paid a lot for what we got out of him but I blaim that with the managers, especially gus, for playing him up front on his own.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of course we don't know how much of Bent's wages we are actually paying!

Be surprised if it's a half, perhaps even a third. His problem is that what Villa offers him ceases him in June. And he's not played for two years or so, despite a £24m tag. And he's playing for his future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here