Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club are wanting to make two signings by weeks end...

How many new Albion?

Votes: 5 3.8%

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • 1 signing and 1 loan

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • 2 loans

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • NONE

Votes: 101 75.9%
  • I don't know, all I know is I love you Viper and I want you to serenade me to sleep

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is the bedwetting part. It would be better to sign a decent player in a month's time than any old sod now.

The whole bedwetter thing is stupid nonsense as it is.

But, if "the earlier the better" is now considered "bedwetting" then the phrase "bedwetter" is in more desperate need of being retired because it has lost what little meaning it may have had.

Would you rather sign a decent player now so that he has time to settle in, find fitness, get used to his team and is bedded in ready for the start of the season, or sign the same player in a months time when the season is under way, he doesn't know his team mates, is using league games to bed in and get familiar with the team and the system, perhaps at a cost of points, adding pressure to himself to find form?

Most people would prefer the former.

Suggesting that the earlier we bring in players the better does not make someone a bedwetter. At no point in the post you quote is it suggested quality be sacrificed for early signing.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't think of myself as someone who has been screaming for signings from the moment we crashed out at Derby, but I do now think we are leaving it a bit late.

The pre-season trip to Spain is an excellent time to bed new players into our training methods, get some "team bonding" in place ahead of a long hard season, and begind to find the best way of utilising the squad we have built.

Instead, it has the early whiff of doing a chunk of business too close to the start of the season for them to hit the ground running on 9th August. I just hope we don't spend all of August talking about "when are we going to bring in some players", and then all of September debating how close to match fitness the deadline day signings are.

It's not about wanting the club to rush out and make a signing, whoever they are, but equally pre-season is a carefully designed preparation period for the season, and any new signings are missing crucial elements of it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't think of myself as someone who has been screaming for signings from the moment we crashed out at Derby, but I do now think we are leaving it a bit late.

The pre-season trip to Spain is an excellent time to bed new players into our training methods, get some "team bonding" in place ahead of a long hard season, and begind to find the best way of utilising the squad we have built.

Instead, it has the early whiff of doing a chunk of business too close to the start of the season for them to hit the ground running on 9th August. I just hope we don't spend all of August talking about "when are we going to bring in some players", and then all of September debating how close to match fitness the deadline day signings are.

It's not about wanting the club to rush out and make a signing, whoever they are, but equally pre-season is a carefully designed preparation period for the season, and any new signings are missing crucial elements of it.

this post is far to sensible to be on this board
BAN HIM
seriously I totally agree with every word
I am hoping some players may just turn up in Spain after being asked to train with the boys

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Whatever TB says and whatever people want to believe, even with play offs and good attendances we have no chance of buying the players we need to be competitive next season.
Why does everybody insist that we are soon to be dazzled by amazing signings....
Not going to happen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I guess it will be down to the poster, and how patronising they feel the need to be.

There is nothing patronising in suggesting that people panicking NOW about the state of our squad are being a bit...silly.

In 5 weeks? Fair enough, there could be some relevant concerns.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whatever TB says and whatever people want to believe, even with play offs and good attendances we have no chance of buying the players we need to be competitive next season.
Why does everybody insist that we are soon to be dazzled by amazing signings....
Not going to happen.

I haven't seen a SINGLE person say we are soon to be DAZZLED by AMAZING signings.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
There is nothing patronising in suggesting that people panicking NOW about the state of our squad are being a bit...silly.

Something has gone awry here. I've absolutely no problem whatsoever with our transfer dealings, it makes little difference to me. What I do take grievance with is the complete over use of the phrase 'bed wetting'. It really is a thoroughly crap expression, what's wrong with using words like frustrated, impatient? :shrug:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

I'd say it's already cutting it a little bit fine, I think the pre-season is invaluable for a player joining a club, and that they're far more likely to hit the ground running with some time to adjust to the squad and the training.

Having said that, if we can't find anyone then I don't think we should join in the bidding war. We do have youth players and they can't be that bad. If the alternative is spending millions on each player, then I'd prefer giving Chicksen/Maksimenko/Walton games in the first team.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Hopefully next season we will learn from this summer's delays and they'll get the squad together earlier for 2015/16.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
He said they were hopeful of signing them and it would be good to do it this week. From what Bozza was saying yesterday we are hopefully close to signing a couple of players. I very much doubt Sami's reaction is anything like the ridiculous panic on here. The comments on this thread and others on NSC at the moment are ridiculous at the moment as there's still 5 weeks to go until the season starts.

I would be very interested to know how you and many others who said players will come in before the season starts feel now?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
May I suggest this has been the most difficult transfer session the club has ever had. For a year lead up Leo was going nowhere so all scouting was for lower priced players in other positions than centre forward.
Then Leo goes for a huge £8m despite 5? Attempts to keep as we didn't want to sell as he was in all of our plans
So, now we have to suddenly readdress the situation completely just as the season starts and from nowhere we now need a £3/4m frontline striker and we had no long or shortlist.
We have the funds to rebuild and produce a challenging side again but for now we simply have to be patient or our biggest ever purchase could be rushed and be a flop and affect us for years rather than a few months of frustration we are now enduring.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
May I suggest this has been the most difficult transfer session the club has ever had. For a year lead up Leo was going nowhere so all scouting was for lower priced players in other positions than centre forward.
Then Leo goes for a huge £8m despite 5? Attempts to keep as we didn't want to sell as he was in all of our plans
So, now we have to suddenly readdress the situation completely just as the season starts and from nowhere we now need a £3/4m frontline striker and we had no long or shortlist.
We have the funds to rebuild and produce a challenging side again but for now we simply have to be patient or our biggest ever purchase could be rushed and be a flop and affect us for years rather than a few months of frustration we are now enduring.

Fustration thst could end in a relegation scrap. You don't release/sell 75% of your team without having suitable replacements ready unless that is what the plan is to make us more sttractive to potential investor's maybe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here