Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Civil War Brewing in the Ukraine?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
You would think they would be used to being occupied by now then ;-)

In seriousness though, I would imagine the Crimea will seperate...and the Ukraine will convulse with some internal power struggles for a while, then hopefully settle down, and will then prob join EU in the future.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You would think they would be used to being occupied by now then ;-)

In seriousness though, I would imagine the Crimea will seperate...and the Ukraine will convulse with some internal power struggles for a while, then hopefully settle down, and will then prob join EU in the future.

I agree. Putin needs some sort of win, otherwise the seeds are sown for future problems for his puppet in Belarus, and maybe even for himself in Russia.

Crimea just about gives him that although it won't be an easy solution for him.

Last edited:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Why do we have to stick our noses in to absolutely everything. Listening to Clegg today, he is another who says it our duty to help Ukraine out, for the good of the UK, for the good of EU. I don't get it like the majority of the UK public.

Shame innit , help out Ukraine ? , more like help out the people that want to be part of Europe , f--k the rest that want to stay Russian . Russia should keep out as well as NATO/EU . I have strong views on this , as I have been to Ukraine on many occasions , once for the Euro's so have many friends there . In the East they were a lot more friendly than the people of the West , they would do anything for you .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
An unexpected Russian military exercise is now taking place on the Russian/Ukrainian border. Didn't see that one coming did we ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That exercise could be to comfort to the other half of the Ukraine population that prefer the links to Russia..depends how you look at it I think.....from our point off view, or people in the Ukraine who prefer links to Russias point of view..other than the Crimea separatiing, and some sabre rattling, I dont think too much would actually happen...Ukraine would be pretty stupid to try and go against Russia anyway...especially when a large proportion of their country wants closer links to Russia..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm optimistic that this can be sorted out fairly easily. It depends if Putin is willing to trade the Ukrainians freedom to choose who they ally with for his Crimean ports which he has to keep.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I'm optimistic that this can be sorted out fairly easily. It depends if Putin is willing to trade the Ukrainians freedom to choose who they ally with for his Crimean ports which he has to keep.

I hope too it is sorted out peacefully but it is not just Crimea that wants to stay Russian it is most of the East of the country . I think there is crucial oil/gas pipelines that go through East Ukraine which end up in Russia and I am sure they wouldn't want those going through a westernised country . Remember the last time Ukraine tried to shut off these pipelines , that was when the tanks came in previously .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know it just kicks the can down the road for 30 years, but perhaps the splitting off of the former country of Galicia to become an independent state fast tracked into the EU gives a decent solution for now. Not sure that is on the table.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Armed men have taken control of one of the major airports in the Crimes. Anyone see a pattern forming ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yep, the ethnic Russian majority are saying feck off Ukraine, who they still consider collaboraters, and the uprising in Ukraine as fascist inspired and led.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
What's happening in the Crimea looks to be exactly what Russia did in the Abkhazia region of Georgia.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All depends now what the line in the sand is for the US. Maybe they don't have one, and really don't care, and are happy to roll over to Putin.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All depends now what the line in the sand is for the US. Maybe they don't have one, and really don't care, and are happy to roll over to Putin.

I think the Yanks will be happy with a trade-off , Ukraine is bolted onto Europe and Crimea joins the Russian Federation.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Aren't the US and UK legally obliged to assist with defending the borders of Ukraine? World War 3 anyone?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Aren't the US and UK legally obliged to assist with defending the borders of Ukraine? World War 3 anyone?

Well it is just a piece of paper at the end of the day. The Americans can roll over and let Putin have his way if they wish.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A well armed " Self defence " force then has seized both airports and Victor is saying he was pushed out illegally. The scene is set for the Russian troops to fly in and help defend the airports of the Crimea. airports which need defending from the stag groups flying in on Ryanair or the people who in reality have seized them for the Russians.

Looks like Victor has been briefed by Putin on what to do for the best ( for Mother Russia) and so he will say he has been unfairly turfed out and demands to be allowed to regain control of Ukraine until free and fair elections are held sometime in 2015. Putin will support this and when the Ukrainians tell Victor to do one he will " appeal " to Putin to uphold his legitimate right to govern. Putin will sigh and say something along the lines of " we very much regret the unfair treatment of Vic as he is a good man and so we must reluctantly come to his aid until such time as free and fair elections are held in 2019 " It's game on I'm afraid.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
its just been reported that 4 huge transporter planes
with 700 troops aboard has landed in the Crimea
Putin waving his dick around again

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Foreign Office advises British citizens to flee from Crimea as soon as possible.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Yeah. Let the Winter Olympics fade away then give the Ukraine a good shoeing. Good old mother Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here