Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
A good 50% plus of NSC never watch football except on screens..........and talk swahili bollox about the ability of players.
50%?????...... I think a poll is needed, I can't help thinking that figure is Swahili bollocks.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On yesterdays performance and the way things are shaping up with the players getting used to SH system that wont remain so for long and there will be many teams below us come Chtristmas, in fact about 15 or so.

No doubt speculation will be posted on who we can bring in to replace him what price somebody will suggest Bobby Zamora?

Good idea.

Zamora on a 93 day loan, then a proper decent replacement for Leo signed on a permanent contract in January.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
But a good 50% plus of NSC realised it was a mistake the day we signed him

Doesn't mean anything. 'A good 50% plus of NSC' would have berated the club for signing Grabban/Assombolonga/Leadbitter had we done so...I reckon many posters on here take a 'misery punt' and slam any new signings in the hope the said player **** up and they can start the rants about his 'League-1-at-best-talent' and 'It's Burke's fault again'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I love that so many on NSC have no idea what David Burke does on a day to day basis yet want him sacked. All clubs sign players who turn out to be duffers. Palace fans were all for getting rid of Murray too after one season, when he scored only six league goals.

O'Grady looks poor, but too many immediately jump on this or anything negative about the club as an excuse to implement their anti-Burke/Barber/Bloom/Jones/Hyppia agenda.

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
When I saw him play at Swindon, I was genuinely surprised how bad he was. He never got a sniff. How anyone could ever think he was worth 500k is beyond reason.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
When I saw him play at Swindon, I was genuinely surprised how bad he was. He never got a sniff. How anyone could ever think he was worth 500k is beyond reason.

I thought he was OK at Burton but both he and CMS were up against academy defenders............so he should probably had done much better.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And this is what happens when you are changing your manager every season.

Whether this story is true or not, it appears clear that O' Grady and Toko don't fit into Hypia's plan. That doesn't make them bad players and in Toko's case doesn't make him a bad signing (he was signed before Hypia arrived.) It does highlight that we really need a few seasons of consistency at the top to build a balanced squad in the managers image, capable of challenging.

I'm sure this will be used as a stick to beat Burke with but he's been looking at players to fit a certain style of play and Hypia's come in and changed it significantly. I'm not sure mind reading is part of his job description.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Heard the same re: shipping out O'Grady earlier this week. Toko the same.

Our transfer dealings are SO messy nowadays. What's going on?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure this will be used as a stick to beat Burke with but he's been looking at players to fit a certain style of play and Hypia's come in and changed it significantly. I'm not sure mind reading is part of his job description.

But surely the above shows that it's a daft and illogical way to work? Not Burke's fault, but the system is fundamentally flawed.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
And this is what happens when you are changing your manager every season.

Whether this story is true or not, it appears clear that O' Grady and Toko don't fit into Hypia's plan. That doesn't make them bad players and in Toko's case doesn't make him a bad signing (he was signed before Hypia arrived.) It does highlight that we really need a few seasons of consistency at the top to build a balanced squad in the managers image, capable of challenging.

Absolutely this...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But surely the above shows that it's a daft and illogical way to work? Not Burke's fault, but the system is fundamentally flawed.

I'm begining to side with you. I thought the idea was that the style of football was going to be consistent regardless of the manager, if that isn't the case it does make Burke's job hard.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps Toko and CoG really are just crap.

If you look at the change from Poyet to Hypia in playing style, it's huge.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The club aren't going to win either way - if they buy players without a manager then there's a risk they won't get used by the manager, if they wait until the manager is installed then the fans will complain that they're dragging their heels, and that they can still buy without a manager etc.
Burke isn't going to know what style the new manager will play if he doesn't know who it is, so he can only go on what he knows.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I love that so many on NSC have no idea what David Burke does on a day to day basis yet want him sacked. All clubs sign players who turn out to be duffers. Palace fans were all for getting rid of Murray too after one season, when he scored only six league goals.

O'Grady looks poor, but too many immediately jump on this or anything negative about the club as an excuse to implement their anti-Burke/Barber/Bloom/Jones/Hyppia agenda.
Since Burke/Barber arrived we are going backwards on the pitch and that is a fact.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Since Burke/Barber arrived we are going backwards on the pitch and that is a fact.

Amazing how people conveniently forget the mess left by Ken Brown for Barber to pick up, both off and on the field.

I said when we signed him, and got berated, that CO'G was a very strange signing and didn't see how he fitter in. Seems I have been proven right

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bring up Murray again is fair enough. He was AVAILABLE this summer. We would be top 6 right now if he was in our side. Instead we are looking at a relegation fight.

How do you know he was available? Palace fans have been vocal in their expressions of regret that he's left them, and if they get relegated while he scores a hatful for Reading, it'll be a PR disaster for their board. That would be magnified tenfold if they'd sold him to us. Just because they were willing to let him go, doesn't mean they'd have been willing to let him go to US.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
O'Grady looks poor

Out of interest- do you think he's looked any worse than Mackail-Smith?

I know CMS has a couple of goals, but then he's had more game time than O'Grady so far. I didn't think either of them set the world on fire at Burton, but I thought O'Grady at least held the ball up well and used it effectively, whereas CMS did my head in with his consistently poor touch. CMS is the sort of willing player you want to do well, but I can't help thinking that if he was going to prove himself a genuine Championship class striker, he would have done it by now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here