Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton nth Longest Serving Manager in the English League

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's wrong with Richard? I know very few who get called Dick.

250px-Dick_Knight_-_Falmer_opening.jpg

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Strange that all the shortened names have virtually disappeared.

William/Bill, now all called Will.

Robert/Bob, now all called Rob.

James/Jim, now called Jamie.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What I find strange is that shortened and derivation names are now the norm. So, we see kids called Ben and Ollie, rather than Benjamin and Oliver. Or Jack and Harry rather than John and Henry. When did that happen?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I find strange is that shortened and derivation names are now the norm. So, we see kids called Ben and Ollie, rather than Benjamin and Oliver. Or Jack and Harry rather than John and Henry. When did that happen?

I said similar to my son and daughter in law who insisted they wanted their son named Jack had they wanted it to be John they would have named him John. Another example of the age thing I think.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

You are right. I meant to say the old shortened names have virtually disappeared. Another being Edward/Ted, now generally Ed or Eddie.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You are right. I meant to say the old shortened names have virtually disappeared. Another being Edward/Ted, now generally Ed or Eddie.

There's a Ted at my son's rugby club. I'm going to try to find out if he's an Edward or actually named Ted.

My son's called John and is just known as that, but my grandfather was John but called Jack by everyone. So, some time in the last 80 years, Jack became a name in its own right. No idea why though

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

My cousins are called Jack and Harry, so since the early/mid 80's at least.

On a similar theme, why were John and Henry ever changed to Jack and Harry? They haven't shortened the name and have no resemblance to the original name. Likewise Why was William shortened to Bill and not Will, Edward to Ted not Ed, Michael to Mick not Mike, Robert to Bob not Rob etc etc?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My cousins are called Jack and Harry, so since the early/mid 80's at least.

On a similar theme, why were John and Henry ever changed to Jack and Harry? They haven't shortened the name and have no resemblance to the original name. Likewise Why was William shortened to Bill and not Will, Edward to Ted not Ed, Michael to Mick not Mike, Robert to Bob not Rob etc etc?

I've never understood 'Henry' to 'Harry' - surely 'Harry' would be from 'Harold' ?? Regarding Jack, my grandfather was christened Jack (1920s), not John.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

An outrage

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Absurd decision in my view but hey ho I am not the chairman

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here