Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am sure Chris will get over this setback with the thousands of pounds to pay off his contract, and the Ireland job to maybe follow.
A lot of people have more problems in life.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Stephen Reid is a very good coach and is one of an increasing group of Irish coaches in Britain with a growing reputation. Forest could do worse than give him the job on a permanent basis.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
From Forest forum, sounds familiar .

Come on now. We played a different formation, Lolley came back in and played his best game for a year, the tactics to press high and break in numbers was clear to see first half. Hughton was being stubborn, he had a philosophy he wouldn't let go of.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
From Forest forum, sounds familiar .

Come on now. We played a different formation, Lolley came back in and played his best game for a year, the tactics to press high and break in numbers was clear to see first half. Hughton was being stubborn, he had a philosophy he wouldn't let go of.

That's a little unfair - Hughton had a host of injuries to deal with since the start of the season - including Lolley. He had five first team starters out and they are only now getting back to fitness. This type of stuff can happen when someone else takes charge of a team - they get a couple of players back, change the formation, and their first opponents are caught on the hop. That said - as I pointed out above - Reid is a good coach with a rapidly growing reputation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's a little unfair - Hughton had a host of injuries to deal with since the start of the season - including Lolley. He had five first team starters out and they are only now getting back to fitness. This type of stuff can happen when someone else takes charge of a team - they get a couple of players back, change the formation, and their first opponents are caught on the hop. That said - as I pointed out above - Reid is a good coach with a rapidly growing reputation.

They are 100% right about his stubbornness of not changing his philosophy, at PL level anyway. There were strong rumours that this cost him the backing of the players by his last few months here. I seem to remember Bruno saying that “sometimes the manager needs to listen to his players” I have not been able to find the quote though.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
They are 100% right about his stubbornness of not changing his philosophy, at PL level anyway. There were strong rumours that this cost him the backing of the players by his last few months here. I seem to remember Bruno saying that “sometimes the manager needs to listen to his players” I have not been able to find the quote though.

Hughton has shown - both at Brighton in the Championship and earlier at Newcastle in both the Championship and the PL - that he will play attacking football when he has the players capable of doing it - he didn't in the PL with Brighton and he didn't at Forest. Most players want to play attacking football - the danger is that if they are not capable of doing it while defending as well then you end up losing a lot of games. Sometimes when you get a managerial change you can chalk up 2/3 good results - but it rarely lasts if the quality is not there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here