Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Choose one musical artist, just one and one only.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
So the imaginary scenario, for whatever reason, (make up your own, but not part of the question) is that for the rest of your life you are limited to listening to just one musical artist/ band to the exclusion of all others.

You will have at your disposal the entire back catalogue of that artist, every recording they have made as the main featured artist. But forevermore you will no longer be able to listen to anyone else (unless they feature on a recording under the name of your chosen artist).

So choose carefully. Youre current favourite artist's back catalogue might only comprise of two albums. Would they be sufficient to sustain you for the rest of your life? Or would it be better to choose someone who you like, but not quite as much, but whose back catalogue is more extensive and will offer far more listening options...

Such artists could include, for instance Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Nana Mouskouri, Nick Cave, Neil Young, Doris Day, Psychic TV, Van Morrison, The Fall, Chet Baker, Tangerine Dream, The Rolling Stones, Ella Fitzgerald, Paul Weller, Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, The Cure, James Last, Bill Nelson, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, David Bowie etc etc...

Or you may prefer to opt for quality over quantity, but remember, that's all you get.

Which artist or band would you choose?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sir Paul Weller.

Not too difficult.

image.jpg

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Jeff Lynne for me covering everything he has done with ELO, The Travelling Wilbury's and his solo stuff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do remixes count? Soulwax have remixed everyone from Gorrilaz to Fontaines DC. Lots of artists with Fatboy Slim remix stuff too (especially if you add in his alter ego tracks).

That said, dance as a genre might grate after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Backstreet Boys. I once did their greatest hits album on a loop driving all the way from Brighton to Manc and back and still wasn’t sated by the time I arrived back in Albion territory. Usually I’m a total music snob, but that goes right out the window where BSB’s greatest hits are concerned. Gold all the way.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Actually a rather good question. So many considerations, especially for someone like me with quite a wide cross section of musical likes. I think I'd have to go with someone who's been a constant throughout my life - despite often being pushed into the background as I've explored different genres - and that would be the guitarist Tommy Emmanuel.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
'one musical...band...entire back catalogue'?

With that definition, it would have to be the Berliner Philharmoniker.

I'd miss a great deal of what I love, but not as much as if I made any other choice.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
David Gedge.

Best songwriter ever.

Huge back catalogue- both Cinerama and The Wedding Present to keep me happy.

Having said that this concept would become frustrating very quickly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Elton John

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jonny Marr :bowdown:

The Smiths
the the
The seriously under-rated Electronic
The Healers
Modest Mouse
Jonny Marr (solo)

...and that's only counting the groups he was officially a full time member of. Stretch the rules to bands he's written and recorded with, and you can add Kirsty Macoll, Pet Shop Boys (extensively), Oasis, Noel Gallagher's HFBs, Blondie, etc, etc, etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here