Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chilli pies

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
They made and delivered 390 which was all that Azure would order, nothing to do with Piglets not wanting to make more - fact

Okay, replace Piglets with Azure and my point still stands :thumbsup:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Service in the ESU has gone from passable to pathetic in the last few matches. Sat arrived up there at about 14:10 walked straight up to an empty till and asked for a Chicken Balti pie only to be told thet they had run out of every pie except for steak & ale. At this point a woman came up and asked where the milk was for the Tea/coffee as the boxes were all empty, the conversation went as follows
"excuse me, where is the milk for the coffee"?
"eerr, over by the windows in boxes"
"no, the boxes are all empty"
"yeah, they're over the back there"
"NO, THE BOXES ARE ALL EMPTY"
"eerrmm, I dunno, we haven't got any milk here"
"Well you'll have to give me a hot chocolate instead as I don't like black coffee"
I left with my steak pie at this point so I don't know if the lady managed to get the hot chocolate.
I always like to have a cup of tea at half time so with the missing milk saga in mind, I nipped down 5 mins before half time to check if milk was available. Success! the milk had been replenished so I grabbed two pots, some sugar, stirring stick and went to order a nice cup of tea. Now they had run out of lids for the cups so I had to carefully negotiate my way through the crowd with a steaming hot cup of boiling liquid with a temp slightly lower than the centre of the Sun. So it's quite safe for me to go into the stadium with a cup of liquid fire slopping about but totally unsafe for me to carry a beer back to my seat and drink it. :nono:

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Got one pint, two pies and a cheese burger £15.10. now I can tell you that the club are paying less than £1.40 for the pies and selling at £3.90.
amex or no amex we are being shafted and that is a fact..............

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Got one pint, two pies and a cheese burger £15.10. now I can tell you that the club are paying less than £1.40 for the pies and selling at £3.90.

BARBER OUT.

Where did you get the £1.40 figure from, out of interest?

Well we had a positive experience on Saturday (shock!)

3 out of 4 of our group wanted a chilli pie. We left our seats after the halftime whistle, went to join a queue, when we got to the front we were told the chilli pies weren't ready but would be soon. The cashier used his initiative, took our payment, gave us our pints and let us stand next to the till drinking our pints whilst he continued to serve the queue. As soon as the pies were ready he handed them over.

The pies themselves could well be my new favourite, however a wooden fork is essential!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Oh dear. You do understand retail outlets make a profit by applying a margin to the goods they sell yeah? How much do you think the pubs you go to pay for their beer and food in comparison to what you pay? Have you ever purchased food from a cinema?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The ESU is getting slowly worse, luckily I get their around 1:30 so plenty of pies and always get a good Balti.

However, after the game is a different story. We're all encouraged to stay behind and relax with a pint and something to eat but they never have any thing. The Harveys has always run out, there was no coffee left, no hot dogs and the odd pie.

Every time i got to the front of my queue they kept closing the till to put the discount on. I mentioned that the offer was put up on the screens 25 minutes ago so why are they still putting them on the tills now? He just repeated that he was putting the discount on the tills one at a time and was just doing his job.

I asked another 'highly trained operative' if at any point they had a Chilli pie for sale. she said she thought so but couldn't be sure.

No one I spoke to in the concourse after the game had sighted the mythical Chilli pie at all.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I was invited to join my father in law at the Emirates for the Saints game cause my brother in law couldn't make it.

I saw their pies, trust me, you'd rather pay £3.90 for our pies than the microwaved pap they were selling as pies there. Looked like they'd bought a job lot from Londis.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh dear. You do understand retail outlets make a profit by applying a margin to the goods they sell yeah? How much do you think the pubs you go to pay for their beer and food in comparison to what you pay? Have you ever purchased food from a cinema?

Quite. From my limited experience of catering - though I'm sure this is something [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] will clarify - caterers take the purchase price and multiply it by about 2.5 to achieve their re-sale price.

If - IF - Azure (not the club) is buying the pies at £1.40 per unit (be interesting to know how you acquired such confidential information), then the re-sale price would be around £3.50. There might well be a retail price of £3.90 on them at the Amex, but the majority are sold at one of the discounted prices - either £3.51 or £3.15.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Comedy Gold :smile:

Seeing on the screens that the club were offering a 15% discount on pies after the game, I thought I'd save myself the hassle of cooking dinner and ordered a pie & pint in the North Stand bar following the final whistle. I paid using my smart card without paying too much attention to the price, only for the Large One to point out to me that I'd been charged £7.30 for them. Which struck me as slightly odd, seeing as the normal pie & pint price was £7.00, and these pies were supposed to be 15% off.

I queried this with the cashier, who responded with "that's because the discount has been applied".

"But I've paid more than I normally would for a pie and pint"

"Yes, that's because there's 15% off the price of the pie"

"How does that work: I normally pay seven quid for both, and you've just charged me £7.30 for them".

"Yes, that's because the pie has been reduced by 15%"

"You're not getting this, are you?"

"There's a discount on the pie price"

"Yes, so how come you've charged me MORE than you normally do?"

"I don't know"

"Well in that case don't bother with the 'discount' and give me the pie & pint for the normal price please".

"I can't do that, because it's 15% off".

At which point I gave up. Later on, two ladies from the kiosk came walking around the bar area, telling us brightly that there was "15% off pies". "Can you explain how I've just paid more for a discounted pie than I would normally then?" I asked them. "Oh, that's not right" said the one dressed in the chef's whites. "We'll go and find out what's gone on". They then disappeared back behind the bar, never to be seen again.

Tremendous work all round, I feel :clap:

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
I had one and it is now, by a country mile, my favourite Amex pie, yes I would have liked more Chilli but thats just a preference, the flavour was there, it was like a Chilli Con Carne Wellington, grisp fresh pastry, succulent in flavour, juicy and moist.
Considering I missed out on the Christmas pie, which I already have my order in for this year, the Chilli pie went some way to compensating me.
By the way I got mine in the WSU about 1pm
A little tip, do not smother this pie in ketchup you will ruin it, to eat just bend forward, bite, savour the flavour and get ready for the taste explosion
Well done for getting this great flavour.
Looking forward to the bangers and mash pie with red wine gravy mmmmmmmm
And in case anyone asks I know I'm a fat bas***d

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some of you do make me chuckle. Clearly there are screw ups at times, but to a degree I guess that has to be expected when catering for 26,000 potential guests. On the subject of stock levels, I think it's pretty much inevitable they will run out of things at times. I usually just walk to the next bar along & get what I want. Didn't the club say they flogged something like 14,000 pies on Saturday?

I find myself wondering if some of you pop into Tesco and then go and rant on their website because the own brand spaghetti hoops are out of stock?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here