Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are all in this together, apparently.

Yes many people are penalised for actually staying in credit and living within their means

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel really sorry for those unfortunate souls who earn 50-60k a year losing the child bennefit tommorow......

It's the entire country I feel sorry for, heading towards an unprecedented triple dip recession and the stripping of Osborne's cherished AAA status. Thank f*** I'm leaving.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's the entire country I feel sorry for, heading towards an unprecedented triple dip recession and the stripping of Osborne's cherished AAA status.

I think we will avoid the triple dip personally, there are some early encouraging signs of companies spending again where we are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel sorry for kids leaving school and facing a retirement age of 77.

And let's not forget about the kids in school being let down by Gove and his bizarre ideas and future rabbit hutch school buildings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we will avoid the triple dip personally, there are some early encouraging signs of companies spending again where we are.

I sincerely hope so but, and I am genuinely putting my politics aside, I cannot see it. The service sector is shrinking and this is such a huge part of our economy. For me the alarm bells are ringing. There will be no Olympics to prop things up this year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I sincerely hope so but, and I am genuinely putting my politics aside, I cannot see it. The service sector is shrinking and this is such a huge part of our economy. For me the alarm bells are ringing. There will be no Olympics to prop things up this year.

It will be exceptionally tight but we will avoid it by whisker in my view, need to get these big infrastructure projects moving like railway electrification etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Arr HT, the thinking man's Jim Davidson, will you switch off the light.....

After the next round of utility company bill increases I'm sure the lights will go out of their own accord as no one will be able to afford them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be exceptionally tight but we will avoid it by whisker in my view, need to get these big infrastructure projects moving like railway electrification etc.

I hope you're correct. Totally with you on infrastructure spending.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Is this a bad thing? I would much rather we made things.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd be happy if the shrinking service sector was being replaced by manufacturing but it isn't. In the same way the public sector job losses are not being picked up by the private sector as the government said.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would scrap all child benefit and use the cash to either provide pre school places for young children or free meals for all children at school of any age. if they choose not to eat it that is their problem as it is available free. This should be available to all; children irrespective of parents financial situation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Arr HT, the thinking man's Jim Davidson, will you switch off the light.....

I've been pondering this for some time now. Is it an insult or a compliment?

D

Deleted member 18477

I feel sorry for kids leaving school and facing a retirement age of 77.

This.

I don't feel sorry for those f***ing old gits who were in the 'could have retired when they were 60 but didn't because they are greedy fucks!' People. Most of these pricks have no mortgage and havent done for YEARS because of the way things have gone for them (lucky people) and a very good company pension. But no, they want their state pension as well before they retire... And even then they probably won't f***ing retire because they can obviously make even more money by continuing to work. Well they NEED their expensive holidays to the Caribbean we can't forget... And their wives still need to go shopping every f***ing weekend for shoes!!!

This all just means young people can't get jobs let alone good jobs. Uni? For most... A pointless exercise.

I'm glad I'm not in the generations to come. If I have kids in the near future I better start saving because let's face it things won't get better.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Should only get benefits for the first child anyway, Anymore children after that they should either not have them or pay for the children, Them Frecking selves.

it makes me sick to my stomach, That i have to pay taxes for other people to have kids anyway.. And i'm on less then 30k per year.

Dispicable system.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Nothing to do with being reluctant to help. It's the same old same old arguement, if Joe Bloggs wants to have a family, then so be it, but they should pay for that. It is not a human right to have to have kids. Why do you think that people should get child benefit? I also think you will find that in my old age, there will be no old age benefits as such to talk about.

This is my honest opinion, I will not change that opinion, but am welcome to hear other peoples opinions.

If its not a human right to have kids why do we pay our taxes for the NHS to dish out free IVF treatment to infertile couples? As you say if you want a kid pay for it out your own pocket or adopt.

There is currently a surplus of kids waiting for adoption in the UK not to mention all the starving orphans in Africa that would benefit from having a loving home in the UK. Perfect solution.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm higher rate but my wife doesn't work and we have 2 kids. The way it has been done is ludicrous - what else do you expect from this government - and I have always seen the benefit at the children's rather than the adults (we save it for them, hopefully towards Uni). But that said the mere fact we can save it all means we don't really need it. If it was the only benefit cut then I'd be pretty annoyed but in the context of the overall state of the deficit and economy I'm quite happy to do my bit and lose it. Let's face it there's a lot of people being made far worse off. 2012 - year of the food bank.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Just a thought...you don't have to lose anything in this. Just take the extra cash you might have over your allowance for Child benefit, stick it in a pension thus bringing your overall salary below the threshold. Bobs your uncle.

You aren't taxed on pension contributions and your salary will be safe from Osbourne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here