Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Chelsea v Palace in the FA cup semi final

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
This exactly.

Liverpool are the only acceptable winners really.

Acceptable? Aren’t you forgetting they were one of the clubs who wanted to bugger off and form their own little European super league. I reckon most neutrals will want us to win the damm thing now and shove it in all their super league faces.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
The issue with Chelsea selling tickets is a bit of a non problem isn't it. The sanctions prevent Chelsea from selling tickets, not the FA.
It shouldn't be too difficult for the FA to be able to sell tickets to Chelsea fans , if Chelsea supply a list of members- it may take a bit of sorting but not insurmountable, and lets be realistic, its likley to be Chelsea going to the final, so once in place the same system can be used twice thus reducing the costs of setting it up

Im trying to recall how we got tickets for our semi final, was it through the club, or Wembley?

Not sure about this. Chelsea probably can't sell tickets to their fans directly, but probably cannot pass names to Wembley under the data protection rules. Therefore the Chelsea allocation may be offered on the open market to be snapped up by Chelsea fans, plastics and neutrals. Although the open market for non competing clubs for this final is, or used to be, through all other football clubs down to non-league. It would be hard for Chelsea fans to get them apart from the back market.

If this is the case and Chelsea are finalists they may face the situation of a full end for opposition fans, none of their own and lots of neutrals. Hardly'sporting integrity'. They won't be happy. Cancel the competition immediately (last bit is tongue in cheek).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure about this. Chelsea probably can't sell tickets to their fans directly, but probably cannot pass names to Wembley under the data protection rules. k).

I'm not sure that is true, or a reason that cannot be overcome.

For England tickets for a major tournament, the FA tell UEFA or FIFA 'who' should get access to tickets and at what level based on the points members get during the qualifying campaign where the FA sell tickets

This happens very quickly during the knockout stages where you might only have 2 or 3 days - the FA do a ballot for England fans based on the allocation, then supply the info to UEFA to make the tickets available to those people

Or just give Chelsea a license to sell tickets on the basis that any money goes into an escrow and can only be released when the government say so

I suspect there is some politics at play between the FA, Government & Chelsea here

Last edited:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Part of the the reason I started this thread is because it interested me to see how foolish the comments would be. The prize for the most foolish goes to you.

I can understand people wanting Palace to lose (ordinarily the question wouldn't even arise) but to suggest that what is going on in Ukrain doesn't matter (media brainwashing) is pathetic. Of course it matters!

The issue of oligarch and nation states buying football is coming to a head. Not there yet, though.

So for me, a Palace win, followed by their humiliation at Wembley (by Liverpool), would be right and proper.

Edit - apologies if that's a bit harsh. It really is a bit of a dilemma though....the other reason for starting the thread.

Who said Ukraine didn't matter? What a ridiculous statement completely disconnected to the actual post.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Acceptable? Aren’t you forgetting they were one of the clubs who wanted to bugger off and form their own little European super league. I reckon most neutrals will want us to win the damm thing now and shove it in all their super league faces.

This with bells on.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I suspect that outside of Sussex, you might be right but here, on the Albion fans forum, there are very few neutrals.
I would want anyone that you played to win.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I'm not sure that is true, or a reason that cannot be overcome.

For England tickets for a major tournament, the FA tell UEFA or FIFA 'who' should get access to tickets and at what level based on the points members get during the qualifying campaign where the FA sell tickets

This happens very quickly during the knockout stages where you might only have 2 or 3 days - the FA do a ballot for England fans based on the allocation, then supply the info to UEFA to make the tickets available to those people

Or just give Chelsea a license to sell tickets on the basis that any money goes into an escrow and can only be released when the government say so

I suspect there is some politics at play between the FA, Government & Chelsea here

That presupposes that the applicant has agreed for their name to be forwarded to the issuing authority.

It's unlikely that Chelsea season ticket holders have already done this. So your second premise would need to take place, but that may require legal change to their special licence which hasn't been accommodated so far.

I'm all for the absence of sporting integrity in this case.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I suspect that outside of Sussex, you might be right but here, on the Albion fans forum, there are very few neutrals.
I would want anyone that you played to win.

Although amongst my little circle of friends I do have at least 3 BHA / Liverpool fans , which I have always found a bit strange ?

I realise that when BHA were in the dumps a lot of football fans in Sussex might well have gone for a “big” club but why Liverpool, you would have thought Arsenal or another top London club would be preferable?

This is not a dig BTW

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Although amongst my little circle of friends I do have at least 3 BHA / Liverpool fans , which I have always found a bit strange ?

I realise that when BHA were in the dumps a lot of football fans in Sussex might well have gone for a “big” club but why Liverpool, you would have thought Arsenal or another top London club would be preferable?

This is not a dig BTW

Until we got into the Premier League, Liverpool was the other team I followed but now, I only want them to win when they are not playing us.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Ridiculous that Brighton fans are wanting Palace to win because of a conflict in which they and their supporters have had zero to do with and the owner will be long gone very soon. Is the media brainwashing really that powerful?

My life isn't full of hate (like some on here) ... it's not healthy ... and what does it really achieve?

I couldn't give a toss about Palace ... I'm happy when they loose but it doesn't ruin my weekend if they get a result.

I also don't read newspapers (I haven't for 20 years+) and regulate my access generally to other forms of media. The media just wind me up - so getting back to my first point, I don't find the media conducive to keeping my blood pressure at a reasonable level.

So don't get so exorcised when some people take a view that they'd like to see Chelsea loose!!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

This is not a dig BTW

I think in the modern world we live in ... people move around and there's all sorts of reasons for football allegiances.

I only moved to Sussex in 1991 having been born 30 years earlier in Bournemouth. But my father came from Liverpool and was a heavy influence on me as I got into football as a very young lad.

These days I am very much a Brighton fan first and foremost. You only have to ask the people I sit next to in West Upper and how I was reacting during the recent game v Liverpool when certain refereeing decisions were made.

BUT ... outside of games v Brighton ... I still have a big soft spot for Liverpool and would love to see them win the PL and FA Cup ... especially over City/Chelsea!!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

You misunderstand how proper football fans think. Liverpool, City or Chelsea win another trophy, so what? Who cares?

Someone else wins a trophy, bugger them, why not us?

Danny Baker's as right about wishing for the crushing of underdogs as he is about despising 'Horrible suburban Crystal Palace.'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Fair enough , but why Liverpool? I’ve always found them and the whinging fans annoying.

I watched them on TV when they were managed by Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and then Dalglish when they were playing some great football.

I have generally found their fans no worse than most clubs. Certainly most Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd fans seem to believe they are entitled.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I had a perception on Liverpool fans that probably wasn’t fair - out of away fan mingling this season the scousers seemed the most genuine / lacked the usual tourists. Also all seemed pretty friendly - although not sure about their obsession with dressing like they’ve robbed a Millets

Far less cocky / arrogant than Arsenal / Chelsea / Spurs etc

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My life isn't full of hate (like some on here) ... it's not healthy ...

I'd say the absolute opposite. Like booing the villain in drama, longing for the failure of a random football team that you would probably be supporting if you happened to have been born somewhere else, can be a safe release of negative emotion that gives you a pressure release that can help you to maintain healthy relationships with the people that are important in your real life. I don't watch the Star Wars or the Marvel films and haven't been to a panto since the kids left primary school, so I have Wilf Zaha and referee's assistants instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fair enough , but why Liverpool? I’ve always found them and the whinging fans annoying.

My best pal is one of them. And my trips to Anfield have been excellent.

I'm increasingly feeling like I'd like a palarse win in the semi. Decent players, promising manager....if it were pardew it would have been a much tougher call.

I go back to long before we were 'rivals' though. To be honest, I'm surprised so many of you care :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here