Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea Fire Sale - who could we go for?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If Chelsea will breach the FFP rules if they don’t sell before 30th June, why buy to ‘help them out’ ( Colwill excepted).
Let them get a points reduction and give ourselves a advantage.
They really are in a pickle and Tony will obviously work that as well as he can, as will others.
The main issue they will have with the majority of those they want rid of ( as others have said) is their wages.
I expect Tony may wait to late June and then pick up the phone to have a chat about Levi.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
It’s not just the money, with no European football at all next season then they need to trim about 10 players out of their squad, more if they’re going to sign any new players. So selling 4 x HGP might balance the FFP books but would still leave them with a 31 player squad with only domestic competition.
It’s going to be a bloodbath and I’m f***ing loving it.

Oh and if Mount only has 12 months left on his contract then there’s no way they’re getting north of £35m for him.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
assuming we'll lose one or both our main midfielders this summer, may need to buy in a straight replacement.
I think your assumption is that the aim is to consolidate in the top 7. Rather, I think sustainability will take priority. That means stick to the plan of identifying and developing talent and see where it takes us. It may mean less success some seasons and our fanbase will need to cope with that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If Chelsea will breach the FFP rules if they don’t sell before 30th June, why buy to ‘help them out’ ( Colwill excepted).
Let them get a points reduction and give ourselves a advantage.
They really are in a pickle and Tony will obviously work that as well as he can, as will others.
The main issue they will have with the majority of those they want rid of ( as others have said) is their wages.
I expect Tony may wait to late June and then pick up the phone to have a chat about Levi.
It is very unlikely that Tony will be prepared to act as a stop loss for reckless owners. It is even more unlikely that he would pay the wages expected by players signed by those owners. Colwill fits our system and provided his wages are within the existing structure then he would be an obvious exception. The others, no.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Gallagher has been their best player lately so not sure he’d be an option, especially for us.

Everyone listed above and anyone ‘first team’ will be on crazy wages. We might be able to snipe out a youth player or two before they become well known though?

A full on bid for Colwill I agree he’ll likely be too expensive but we could try.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I wonder if Ethan Ampadu is the most likely? His contract is up in 2024, is still young-ish. Playing well out in Italy and is versatile. Can play centreback, right back and also as a dm, so gives in-game flexibility options and could be a veltman replacement.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Interesting TIFO video about Chelsea’s spending here. Let out a little chuckle when they went into Potter’s costs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would imagine they would be looking to recuperate some of their costs from Potter and Cucurella so even if we do get one of theirs not likely to be cheap.
Colwill certainly looks like either signing a new contract with them or if the rumours are true Liverpool, Man City etc are showing some interest.

I like Gallagher but again he`ll probably end up with a club who pay a lot, maybe Villa, Newcastle.
Gallagher runs around a lot doesn’t seem to achieve to much, no way should he be anywhere near the England squad IMO.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If Brighton wants a ton more American fans then Pulisic is who you want. But because Christian really hasn't played up to his cost I have a feeling most here agree with that assessment.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
If Brighton wants a ton more American fans then Pulisic is who you want. But because Christian really hasn't played up to his cost I have a feeling most here agree with that assessment.
He has been really stop start at Chelsea. Id personally love to see him in the stripes

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Before opening this again after seeing it bounce up, I was just thinking maybe Pulisic is the type of crazy signing that could somehow happen. Didn’t look great at the WC and stand out. Shirley needs a step back from the biggest 8-10 clubs in the world and to prove he can be a big fish somewhere like us. Outside of that market he might prefer to stay in PL over the biggest ‘nearly’ clubs on the continent.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If he was keen and the wages were doable, Pulisic would be a great signing. Not going to get much better competition for Solly on the right.

Problem is he's on about 150k a week at Chelsea.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Gallagher and Loftus Cheek can do one as they will have been infected.

Colwill....I've no doubt if Chelsea accepted an offer from us, the player might be tempted. 2 good seasons in Brighton and then a (very) big money move. Could we temp Chelsea with an offer though?

Fofana? Season long loan maybe? I'm not sure if his transfer ever got to a point where he turned us down in favour of Chelsea, but if so then he can also do one.

From the 'big names', the only one I'd want is Mount as I think he'd do well here. He's versatile, speaks well and would probably fit in. Would he come to us and could we afford him? I'm not sure.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see David Fofana has gone on loan to Union Berlin. Chelsea really seem to eat up a lot of talent, do nothing with it, then spit it out, having wasted a load of dosh.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I see David Fofana has gone on loan to Union Berlin. Chelsea really seem to eat up a lot of talent, do nothing with it, then spit it out, having wasted a load of dosh.
And us ? 👀

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fire sale? Another glance at today's transfer gossip indicates more incomings than outgoings.

I think Chelsea are addicted to spending money and I think it's beginning to dawn on Poch that that trim squad of 25 he talked about is simply not going to happen. Indeed, he'll be lucky to get it down to 30.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fire sale? Another glance at today's transfer gossip indicates more incomings than outgoings.

I think Chelsea are addicted to spending money and I think it's beginning to dawn on Poch that that trim squad of 25 he talked about is simply not going to happen. Indeed, he'll be lucky to get it down to 30.
It's only oil money, so doesn't really matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here