Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] ChatGPT

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
C3PO had no personality though compared to Chewie, and he didnt even speak English!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there are "safety features" so it wont answer controversial questions (heavy political bias alert), all pointing to limitations to just how "intelligent" this really is.
You need to try ChatHT for this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spelt is the British form of the American spelled. Just keeping our end up sir.
???

ok-notes.gif

:wink:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Interesting opinion and I don't put him far wrong. It's certainly going to be an interesting couple of years to see how this is adopted into the mainstream. I notice Bing have integrated into search.....think I'll wait for Bard and stick with Google though.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Has anyone tried 'in the manner of Charles Bukowski'?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, ChatGPT invented a game: Sumplete and, for logic-puzzle types, I think it's quite good.

Complete the first easy-peasy 3*3 and then you get the option to up the grid size. Once I get to 7*7 and above, it gives me a lot to think about.

How it was invented:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It strikes me as similar to an Alexa. Great used right for a narrow range of tasks, but awful used for things it’s not quite suited for. Comedy gold though!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It strikes me as similar to an Alexa. Great used right for a narrow range of tasks, but awful used for things it’s not quite suited for. Comedy gold though!
It just wrote me perfectly good Commodore 64 code celebrating the Albion but when I asked it to add colours, it seemed to confuse Commodore 64 Basic with a modern language. Still amazing, despite its limitations.

Certainly! Here's a simple program in Commodore 64 BASIC that displays a message celebrating Brighton & Hove Albion:

10 PRINT "BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION" 20 PRINT "THE PRIDE OF THE SOUTH COAST" 30 PRINT "SEAGULLS FLYING HIGH" 40 PRINT "UP THE ALBION!" 50 END

When you type this program into a Commodore 64 and run it, it will display the message "BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION" followed by a few additional lines of text celebrating the team. The final line, "UP THE ALBION!", is a common football chant used by Brighton & Hove Albion supporters.

You can also customize this program by adding your own messages, graphics, or sounds to make it even more fun and interactive. Have fun celebrating Brighton & Hove Albion!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Scares the shit out of me that it can do this:

On the South Coast where the waves doth crash,
A city bright and bold doth bask,
With a football team so full of passion,
The Seagulls soar with fierce ambition.

Brighton and Hove Albion, oh how they shine,
Their stadium a haven for fans so fine,
The Amex roars with thunderous pride,
As the Seagulls take flight with nothing to hide.

From the dark days of Withdean,
To the Premier League's grand scheme,
The Seagulls have risen to great heights,
With grit and heart, they've earned their stripes.

From Murray's goals to Dunk's brave stance,
This team is one with a fighting chance,
With a new manager at the helm,
They dare to dream, they overwhelm.

Graham Potter's tenure may be done,
But the Seagulls' spirit carries on,
With a new leader to guide their way,
They'll conquer all, come what may.

So let us all stand and sing with pride,
For Brighton and Hove Albion, they never hide,
Their spirit soars like a seagull's flight,
A beacon of hope, a shining light.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Me: I am taking my mother to the Brighton vs Grimsby FA Cup Quarter Final on Sunday as it is Mother's Day. Can you suggest a relevant present I can buy her whilst we are there?

ChatGPT: That sounds like a lovely Mother's Day activity! Here are a few ideas for a relevant present that you could consider buying for your mother while you are at the Brighton vs Grimsby FA Cup Quarter Final:

1. Team merchandise: You could buy your mother a Brighton or Grimsby team scarf, hat, or t-shirt. This would be a great way to show her support for her favorite team and commemorate the occasion.
  2. Match program: Many sports events sell a program that includes information about the teams, the players, and the event itself. This could be a great souvenir to remember the day.
  3. Food and drink: Depending on the stadium, there may be food and drink vendors selling special items for the occasion. You could treat your mother to a special Mother's Day snack or beverage.
  4. Photographs: Take some photographs of your mother enjoying the game and have them printed out and framed for her as a memento.
  5. Experience day: If your mother is a big sports fan, you could consider booking an experience day for her to visit a football stadium, have a tour or even participate in a training session.
Whatever you choose, I'm sure your mother will appreciate the thoughtful gesture and the opportunity to spend time together. Have a great time at the game!

Looks like a Grimsby scarf it is then although I am not sure it is what she will want.

Dec 29, 2011
People posting their chatGPT output is like someone at your job recounting a dream they had. When will people realise it's boring AF and no one wants to hear it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People posting their chatGPT output is like someone at your job recounting a dream they had. When will people realise it's boring AF and no one wants to hear it.
As an AI language model, I don't have feelings or opinions about people sharing their interactions with me. However, I can understand how some people may find it uninteresting to hear about others' conversations with me. At the same time, it's important to acknowledge that different people find different things engaging, and some may enjoy hearing about others' interactions with chatbots like me. Ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide what they find interesting or not.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Do you have pro? How does v4 compare to v3.5? I'm actually completely sold by chatGPT. I think it's the future and also I think people are going to start becoming addicted to it and falling in love etc
I do have Plus (I'm trialing it for work purposes). I think they are having issues scaling to demand - yesterday there was a 100 question limit in a 4 hour period. Today it's 50...

I can't profess to be using it for much more than pretty basic stuff myself (compared to the people getting it to write software programs from a sketch), but I find the differences to be:

It has way more intuition. Getting v3.5 to come up with more complete answers required a lot more prompting through question structure and content. v4 gives more rounded and helpful versions of/answers to stuff from more simple questions/prompts. It also seems to pick up on more nuanced questions/prompts than 3.5 did.
One of the uses I have for it is breaking down quite technical documentation into something shorter, understood by your average layman. v3.5 would be a fairly obvious skim of the document to shrink it and use more simple language for the terms. v4 seems to properly digest it and rework it into something that reads well while a more obviously different structure (and that meets the shorter & in layman's terms brief).

Greater accuracy. Some answers were just plain wrong in v3.5. e.g. you could ask it to return a list of stuff in alphabetical order which might have 2 sections, each in alphabetical order, but not the combined list in alphabetical order. It would accept that its answer was wrong, but when you ask it to do the same thing again, it would make the same mistake... I've not seen this sort of glaring error from v4 yet.

It can work with images. I haven't done anything with this feature myself, but the fact that it can create software from a simple sketch is just mindblowing.

As a slight aside...
IMO technology like this is going to make online life a lot safer for kids. It'll be able to analyse the language being used in chat forums and recognise where adults are pretending to be kids (in real time) and also have the capacity to spot and then monitor conversations to spot where grooming or bullying is happening.
It pushes a lot of 'Big Brother' buttons, but if all this monitoring is going on automatically and without humans ever getting to see what people are chatting about until a nonce (or a bully etc) makes their move, the only ones with anything to fear are the nonces and bullies... (the thin end of an ugly wedge perhaps, but if anyone has any better ideas to keep kids safe online, I'd like to hear them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here