[Albion] Charlton Athletic vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Probably the worse away day I’ve every encountered in 30 years travelling away.

Got to the Valley at 6pm, didn’t get in to the ground until gone 8. Totally unacceptable and nobody on the ground taking any responsibility or communicating with those in the queue

As we approached KO this resulted in a few getting nicked or walked away from the ground when the frustration boiled over.

I only saw 3 (three) people working the away ticket office as apparently Charlton couldn’t staff it further.

The whole thing was shambolic.

Top it off shit performance , shit penalties (March wasn’t the only one that missed by the way)

Now on a slow train home

The worst thing is I’ve actually parted money for the experience.

f***ing hell

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
So many mistakes and misplaced passes. Some players still on holiday, some not putting the required effort in, and some of the worst shooting/penalties i have witnessed. Felt like a pre-season friendly.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Must admit, I'm glad I got the gist of the match from Sky Sports News rather than this thread. According to Mark McAdam, it was an entertaining game. Solly played some great stuff and Lamptey getting back to his best. Admitted, we should have won on pens and, left footers (except Stuart Pearce)and short run ups should be banned from penalties, but apart from that a decent runout that will prep us well for Saints.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
when you get so close to a final and get beaten by Charlton FFS you gotta ask why we don't take this more seriously and play a stringer line up ESPECIALLY given many that did not stat couldve done with thegame time. Lost opportunity.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Must admit, I'm glad I got the gist of the match from Sky Sports News rather than this thread. According to Mark McAdam, it was an entertaining game. Solly played some great stuff and Lamptey getting back to his best. Admitted, we should have won on pens and, left footers (except Stuart Pearce)and short run ups should be banned from penalties, but apart from that a decent runout that will prep us well for Saints.
I watched on a stream and the above is exactly how I saw it.
The performance was nowhere near as bad as some are making out.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
We are best in the world! We have beaten Brighton, birthplace of giants! Jamie Theakston, Steve Ovett, George IV, Fatboy Slim, Zoella, The Piranhas, that dealer guy in Withnail & I, Ben Sherman, Katie Price, we have beaten them all! Caroline Lucas can you hear me? Caroline Lucas... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Sorry, this is only the third time we've beaten you in the almost 30 years I've lived in Brighton [previously 2W 4D 6L all in the league] so I've had some Jägermeisters and decided tomorrow is a bank holiday. Also sorry for all the shit ticket queuage etc for those who attended. Don't know how much of it Albion could have mitigated, but I'd be surprised if a fair chunk isn't down to Charlton having no proper football people as matchday staff now due to our nutcake owner :(

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We are best in the world! We have beaten Brighton, birthplace of giants! Jamie Theakston, Steve Ovett, George IV, Fatboy Slim, Zoella, The Piranhas, that dealer guy in Withnail & I, Ben Sherman, Katie Price, we have beaten them all! Caroline Lucas can you hear me? Caroline Lucas... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Sorry, this is only the third time we've beaten you in the almost 30 years I've lived in Brighton [previously 2W 4D 6L all in the league] so I've had some Jägermeisters and decided tomorrow is a bank holiday. Also sorry for all the shit ticket queuage etc for those who attended. Don't know how much of it Albion could have mitigated, but I'd be surprised if a fair chunk isn't down to Charlton having no proper football people as matchday staff now due to our nutcake owner :(
Enjoy your teams victory. I am still trying to get used to the idea of Brighton being the victim of a giant killing.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Congratulations on the win. I don't begrudge a Charlton victory.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh yeah, very entertaining. Can't wait for the re-run.

Overall performance was ok I think, but need to create more clear cut chances against a bottom League One team.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Congrats on the victory.

There were 3 people in the ticket collection box - piss poor frankly +2 hours and late for the game

Surprised no one can along the queue selling booze or food would have made a killing

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
I knew I shouldn’t have gone from when I turned up at Polegate to find the 16:12 train cancelled and it was raining , waited 30 mins and then got a train and changed at Croydon and the train was full of teenage vaping football twats. Met the boy who had queued for tickets for 45 mins before we waited another 45 mins to find out tickets were not even printed yet so yet another queue to get them and got in 4 mins after kick off. The away end is a shite hole and only room left was at the top even though the queue for tickets was at least another hour. A terrible laboured performance by very one in the team , I left on 80 mins because I knew what was going to happen . Listened to commentary whilst on train and you couldn’t make it up , Harry kanes penalty super school was alive and well . God I’m getting old and I really don’t think I can be bothered with watching that Turdidge away from for quite a while . But hey ho it was worth the 5 loyalty points .

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
We looked like a team who expected to turn up, get handed a ticket for the next round and go home. There was never any desire to go and absolutely smash 'em. Charlton defended well, but we let them with our ponderous build up. I felt sorry for Undav - he made run after run, but time after time the pass never came. Everyone moans about needing a striker but we could have Erling Haaland up front and it wouldn't make any difference. The only way to unlock defensive systems at any level is to move the ball faster and take risks.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Gross has had the same approach in his last 3 penalties (WBA, Palace and tonight. All missed). It's up to RDZ to spot this and get him to try a different technique or let someone else take one. You're right but I wasn't telling RDZ to lay into them for missing a penalty - imo it was their casual/indifferent approach and I'd like him to stop that from happening again whether that's by laying into them or by other more supportive means as you point out.
It's really down to Gross to realise he's not doing himself justice when it gets to the point where he's missed three in three.
To be clear, I have no opinion on whether they are approaching penalties in the right way. I'm in the hit it as hard as possible school myself, but plenty of very successful penalty takers have methods that look bonkers to me.
I doubt the players are actually indifferent or casual in these situations, whatever it might look like. They'll all be aware of how many times they've missed before and how much stick they'll get if they don't score. Very few of them will improve by being told to take it more seriously.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I feel sorry for de zerbi, he won’t have a clue why we beat Arsenal and lost to Charlton. It just Brightony nothing he could have done about.

Still on my way home to Reading, hope you all had a safe trip home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Football wise that just wasn’t good enough. Charlton packed the middle and defended stoutly, but our passing and finishing were woeful. How did Solly miss that one in open play?

Off the pitch it was the expected shambles. Genuinely worried about a crush when the three separate queues in one place thing happened

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho

Good luck to you mate, honest. I was about to slag the drum off but atmosphere wise I’m not sure we’re in a position to say anything. 6000 Brighton fans? You could have heard a rat fart

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I have no opinion on whether they are approaching penalties in the right way. I'm in the hit it as hard as possible school myself, but plenty of very successful penalty takers have methods that look bonkers to me.
I doubt the players are actually indifferent or casual in these situations, whatever it might look like.
I agree with this -

A good goal keeper will be watching the feet of the pen taker in the run or walk up very carefully to anticipate the trajectory of the ball so it’s not necessarily a good thing to ‘look’ committed even if you are. Matt Le Tissier, one of the greatest penalty takers on record in the PL, often didn’t commit during the run but kept his options open so if the keeper committed early, he just drove the ball into the opposite bottom corner. I think that kind of ‘disguised’ body language can look ‘laid back’ or even casual or lazy but it is not - if done right, works magic. Mario Balottelli was a master of using ‘feints’ to get the keeper to dive early …his pause and body checks at the end of his runs allowed him to make very late decisions but it also made him look laid back and casual!:

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree with this -

A good goal keeper will be watching the feet of the pen taker in the run or walk up very carefully to anticipate the trajectory of the ball so it’s not necessarily a good thing to ‘look’ committed even if you are. Matt Le Tissier, one of the greatest penalty takers on record in the PL, often didn’t commit during the run but kept his options open so if the keeper committed early, he just drove the ball into the opposite bottom corner. I think that kind of ‘disguised’ body language can look ‘laid back’ or even casual or lazy but it is not - if done right, works magic. Mario Balottelli was a master of using ‘feints’ to get the keeper to dive early …his pause and body checks at the end of his runs allowed him to make very late decisions:
Yes. I definitely applied this much thought to my post and had back up examples to hand if requested.
Definitely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports