Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Charlton Athletic vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Arrived at 7pm and picked my tickets up from the south stand ticket office, this was in response to an email received at 5.32pm.

The queue was surprisingly short, it seemed apparent that a lot of people outside should have been in this queue also.

Overall the whole experience was chaotic for fans and must not be repeated. Need to look at alternatives to RM, this disaster was predictable and avoidable.

On the field frustrated we didn’t start the game with the strongest team available, then rest players as required. Shocking pens from players at our level. I don’t begrudge Charlton the win, little to cheer about in recent years, lots of friendly fans

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's not the shit penalty it's all the other misses, a constant failure in front of goal.
The original comment I responded to was SPECIFICALLY about the penalty. Hence why I followed it up saying I wasn't defending him.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
One of our best players? He hasn’t scored for two years.
Nor has Sanchez 😉

Seriously though, Brighton’s inability to finish has been done ad nauseam as has the fact Solly is not a goal scorer but he makes up for it in technical skills in other areas of the pitch otherwise managers would not be playing him. Solly has always seemed a grafter to me, he’s great team player (like how he worked with Lamptey and Lallana last night for example) and gets on the pace when it matters to drive our play forward. There’s a reason that managers put Solly in imo, he is a generally consistent and reliable ‘bread & butter’ team member. Last night chances were created and not converted not just by Solly but Tross (who we should rightly have be expecting to convert), Gilmour and even Dunk as well as others all had missed opportunities - probably 16 or 17 all together, so not all Solly’s! - at one point, (Undev’s?) cross goal ball in from the right passed at least 3 Brighton players within a few metres of the goal line all of whom were in good position to get a tap in.

I unfortunately didn’t see the shoot out as my stream went down but without Mackie and Welbeck, it was going to be quite a weak line anyway. With the disruption of the WC, training in Dubai and it being a knockout cup match, the context wasn’t great but it does show that the depth of the squad is still not there that we can absorb these external issues, including injury and concurrent campaign matches. Hopefully, the performance last night will be a stinging reminder for the lads to get their heads back in the game in time for Boxing Day.

Last edited:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Not sure who else we should have played given injuries and WC absence……no Welbeck, Webster or Mac Allister possible, Sanchez wasn’t needed (and never saves pens anyway), Colwill did fine. Not sure starting Trossard (who looked off the pace), Mitoma (who has only been back a couple of days) and Pervis would have materially affected the outcome. Veltman was the only real absentee we could have included?
I thought Colwill did well, but was surprised by some of the tactics employed by RdZ. The right side seemed well balanced with Lamptey and March, but the left side was a mess with Caicedo and Gross. That's not necessarily their fault as they were both playing in strange roles, especially in the first half.

I think the familiar failings against lesser opposition was very apparent unfortunately. We seemed to take too many touches in Midfield (Gilmour especially) then the chance for the quick break behind the lines was gone. So even when we did get it out wide or play it through they just had extra numbers in the box to clear. Then on the rare occasions we did try to play it quickly are passing was woeful.

I think the worrying thing is with Webster, Welbeck (and Moder) injured, only Mac and Sanchez were not in the squad for that game and we looked a little light tonight. We have three PL games coming up and at least two are definitely winnable, but not sure how many points we will get over Christmas

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If anything the match proved that Enciso is not yet 1st team ready and needs a loan to either the Championship or L1 so he can get to grips with the English game. Also Undav as understudy to Welbeck just isn't a good choice. He probably needs a Championship loan as well

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nor has Sanchez 😉

Seriously though, Brighton’s inability to finish has been done ad nauseam as has the fact Solly is not a goal scorer but he makes up for it in technical skills in other areas of the pitch otherwise managers would not be playing him. Solly has always seemed a grafter to me, he’s great team player (like how he worked with Lamptey and Lallana last night for example) and gets on the pace when it matters to drive our play forward. There’s a reason that managers put Solly in imo, he is a generally consistent and reliable ‘bread & butter’ team member. Last night chances were created and not converted not just by Solly but Tross (who we should rightly have be expecting to convert), Gilmour and even Dunk as well as others all had missed opportunities - probably 16 or 17 all together, so not all Solly’s! - at one point, (Undev’s?) cross goal ball in from the right passed at least 3 Brighton players within a few metres of the goal line all of whom were in good position to get a tap in.

I unfortunately didn’t see the shoot out as my stream went down but without Mackie and Welbeck, it was going to be quite a weak line anyway. With the disruption of the WC, training in Dubai and it being a knockout cup match, the context wasn’t great but it does show that the depth of the squad is still not there that we can absorb these external issues, including injury and concurrent campaign matches. Hopefully, the performance last night will be a stinging reminder for the lads to get their heads back in the game in time for Boxing Day.
If Solly was a golfer he'd be skint.

Drive for show putt for dough sums him up.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If anything the match proved that Enciso is not yet 1st team ready and needs a loan to either the Championship or L1 so he can get to grips with the English game. Also Undav as understudy to Welbeck just isn't a good choice. He probably needs a Championship loan as well
Let’s hope he doesn’t score a brace against spurs

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought Colwill did well, but was surprised by some of the tactics employed by RdZ. The right side seemed well balanced with Lamptey and March, but the left side was a mess with Caicedo and Gross. That's not necessarily their fault as they were both playing in strange roles, especially in the first half.

I think the familiar failings against lesser opposition was very apparent unfortunately. We seemed to take too many touches in Midfield (Gilmour especially) then the chance for the quick break behind the lines was gone. So even when we did get it out wide or play it through they just had extra numbers in the box to clear. Then on the rare occasions we did try to play it quickly are passing was woeful.

I think the worrying thing is with Webster, Welbeck (and Moder) injured, only Mac and Sanchez were not in the squad for that game and we looked a little light tonight. We have three PL games coming up and at least two are definitely winnable, but not sure how many points we will get over Christmas
It's been hinted at but we need a few new faces in Jan. Certainly another CB as Webster appears to be made of glass, unfortunately.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Oh yeah, very entertaining. Can't wait for the re-run.

Overall performance was ok I think, but need to create more clear cut chances against a bottom League One team.
It's hard to create clear cut chances against a low block but we still made a decent number.

Also there were a number of low crosses players just didn't quite connect with, I remember one going through someone's legs and another missed their swing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well yeah, but no, but yeah !!

But to suggest he will never make it as a top professional is ridiculous.
Well yes, he has already made it, he's just a very very very very shit finisher. He is a versatile and useful player in every other aspect. I was hoping he'd nick a goal early this season and kick on from there, but he is actually getting worse at finishing, if that's even possible,

Real shame his penalty wasn't the winner, for us as well as him but we'll get over it ....will he, without an even further dip in confidence?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's hard to create clear cut chances against a low block but we still made a decent number.

Also there were a number of low crosses players just didn't quite connect with, I remember one going through someone's legs and another missed their swing.
Yup it is difficult no doubt but really feel it was played into their hands... Brighton did what they wanted Brighton to do: get down the wings and put in crosses of varying quality. Should have been more of what Solly did when he made his great chance in the second half - just challenge these players centrally and they'll mess up or concede a penalty. Their job was made a lot simpler than it should have been.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Warren and Johnny mentioned several times that the passing wasn’t its usual crisp and quick self. Probably not a huge surprise given the break and unfamiliar lineup. Taking the positive, that game may have been needed to prepare for Southampton, Arsenal etc. Dissecting to death the shooting of our players may not be worthwhile. It is interesting that it is Solly that is taking most of the flak. It doesn’t take much for the anti Solly brigade to pipe up. Brilliant player and we are lucky to have him.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
My stream was faultless during the match, but also died just as they were about to start the pens, but I think I felt fortunate! They are often a bit of a lottery anyway and I just had a resigned feeling about it. To have watched it as well would've been painful. There was a generally disjoined and rusty feel to things generally, and hopefully it will be seen as (a) a good warm up/kick up the backside for some of the players and (b) cement views on certain positions - sounds like RDZ is pushing for additions in the January window, so a Wednesday night in Charlton is as good a place as any to firm up opinion within the hierarchy.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Youve forgotten about Veltman. Not that he would be likely to score but anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here