Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Austin - Any truth in this?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thats all publc knowledge isn't it?

He was moving from Burnley to Spurs, but failed that medical because of the unhealed shoulder injury he was carrying. That's why QPR were able to sign him so cheap (£4m) in the first place. Then there is the ongoing / reoccurring knee injury.

Sorry didn't realise this, only got told over the holiday period after he'd scored twice against us.

With Redknapp involved I didn't rule anything out.

Jan 10, 2014
Thats all publc knowledge isn't it?

He was moving from Burnley to Spurs, but failed that medical because of the unhealed shoulder injury he was carrying. That's why QPR were able to sign him so cheap (£4m) in the first place. Then there is the ongoing / reoccurring knee injury.

It was Hull City my good man. He apparently failed the medical due to a bad knee, which was the first anyone had ever heard of it. He does have a bad shoulder due to dislocating it a few times but he didn't fail the medical because of that.

It's funny because George Boyd failed a medical at Forest for poor eyesight they said, yet he signed for Hull not long after.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I have more chance of taking a shit in the queens handbag than Charlie Austin signing for us. Anyone who thinks there is a even a slight chance of it happening is a moron.

Well my mate Gordon reckons there's some truth in it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Seems very unlikely.

I would have agreed a few years ago, but now we have as much clout if not more as all the other teams in the Championship and some in the Premiership too with The Amex,
and especially the Academy ( one of the best in Europe ) to offer players.
Not all players are greedy arseoles some want to be at clubs with good set ups, good staff, fans, and ambition.
I wouldn't be surprised if any decent player like him wanted to come to us now. As long as TB and the rest of the board wanted to shell out for them.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
I have more chance of taking a shit in the queens handbag than Charlie Austin signing for us. Anyone who thinks there is a even a slight chance of it happening is a moron.

Tell me the reason why you think he wouldn't come to Brighton ?

Is it because you don't think Albion are good enough for him ? Just wondered why your so sure ?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I would have agreed a few years ago, but now we have as much clout if not more as all the other teams in the Championship and some in the Premiership too with The Amex,
and especially the Academy ( one of the best in Europe ) to offer players.
Not all players are greedy arseoles some want to be at clubs with good set ups, good staff, fans, and ambition.
I wouldn't be surprised if any decent player like him wanted to come to us now. As long as TB and the rest of the board wanted to shell out for them.

What clout is that?
Who says the academy is one of the best in Europe? What has the academy got to do with signing new players?
Most (if not all) players don't give a stuff about clubs with good set ups, good staff and fans. What they want is money, to play games and the chance of winning things in order to get more money.

If he can pass a medical then he could easily earn £60k a week, there is no way he will earn that in The Championship (possibly other than at QPR!)

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Tell me the reason why you think he wouldn't come to Brighton ?

Is it because you don't think Albion are good enough for him ? Just wondered why your so sure ?

Reasons
1. He is a premier league quality player who would improve any team in that league.
2. He will be on at least 50k plus a week at his next club.
3. We won't pay that.
4. He wouldn't come to us anyway.
I could give you about another 10 more reasons but right now I will settle for the 4

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It was Hull City my good man. He apparently failed the medical due to a bad knee, which was the first anyone had ever heard of it. He does have a bad shoulder due to dislocating it a few times but he didn't fail the medical because of that.

It's funny because George Boyd failed a medical at Forest for poor eyesight they said, yet he signed for Hull not long after

I'm glad you included that in your post as whilst starting to read it I was trying to remember the player that happened to.

It was all pretty close together as well wasn't it? I seem to remember chuckling that a knee was a problem but seeing where you were going wasn't

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Reasons
1. He is a premier league quality player who would improve any team in that league.
2. He will be on at least 50k plus a week at his next club.
3. We won't pay that.
4. He wouldn't come to us anyway.
I could give you about another 10 more reasons but right now I will settle for the 4

Ok well I disagree completely heres why !

First of all some players aren't all about the money, despite the shit you see about certain players it's where they feel comfortable,
where they are near family and friends too.
Secondly he is tad injury prone regarding his knee and as someone else has already pointed out, he may not pass a PL medical at some clubs as some are far more stringent than others.
We have one of the the best training facilities in Europe my not my words FIFAS, UEFAS & The FA.
Players like CA really do look into things like that very carefuly and with a fine toothcomb
so do their agents.
If we are to be a Premier League team, which I'm sure we will be, then CA is exactly the sort of quality of player Albion as a club would be looking at,
so why not buy him now and pay him the , lets say £35K to start with with goal bonuses and let him gel into the team this season and then if we go up then his wages can increase like every other player we have in our entire squads will.
They will all command £30k+ in the PL very very few won't, not all of the players we have now but a fair few we keep will.
He is a good acquisition for the club if TB ever needed to sell him to get extra funds to buy better quality in a couple of years time then he could.

I will answer your 4 reasons now.

1.CA Could and would just as easily improve in certain Championship sides Albion being one of them also the likes of Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest etc too.
2.£50k a week is a figure you have completely plucked out of the air and you don't know that for sure, although I'm fairly sure he may want a decent wage.
3.You have no idea what TB is prepared to now pay to get his team into the PL again that is what you assume.
4.Is not a reason at all, that is you assuming again he wouldn't want to come to Brighton, which makes me think that you have a very low opinion of Albion,their set up, manager and Chairman.

How many people would have laughed years ago if any of us had said we would have players here like Wayne Bridge, Matthew Upson, Vicente
Times are changing at Brighton mate, we are not a little club anymore, and people need to stop thinking that way now.

By the way Im not saying he is signing or even wants to but there is every possibility that a small miracle could occur maybe we might be surprised in some way.

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I can't believe this thread is still going

There is no way i will believe that there is any truth to this until he either signs for us or it appears on BG's transfer rumours website

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

First of all some players aren't all about the money, despite the shit you see about certain players it's where they feel comfortable,
Secondly he is tad injury prone regarding his knee and as someone else has already pointed out, he may not pass a PL medical at some clubs as some are far more stringent than others.
We have one of the the best training facilities in Europe my not my words FIFAS, UEFAS & The FA.
Players like CA really do look into things like that very carefuly and with a fine toothcomb
so do their agents.
If we are to be a Premier League team, which I'm sure we will be, then CA is exactly the sort of quality of player Albion as a club would be looking at,
so why not buy him now and pay him the , lets say £35K to start with with goal bonuses and let him gel into the team this season and then if we go up then his wages can increase like every other player we have in our entire squads will.
They will all command £30k+ in the PL very very few won't, not all of the players we have now but a fair few we keep will.
He is a good acquisition for the club if TB ever needed to sell him to get extra funds to buy better quality in a couple of years time then he could.

1.CA Could and would just as easily improve in certain Championship sides Albion being one of them also the likes of Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest etc too.
2.£50k a week is a figure you have completely plucked out of the air and you don't know that for sure, although I'm fairly sure he may want a decent wage.
3.You have no idea what TB is prepared to now pay to get his team into the PL again that is what you assume.
4.Is not a reason at all, that is you assuming again he wouldn't want to come to Brighton, which makes me think that you have a very low opinion of Albion,their set up, manager and Chairman.

How many people would have laughed years ago if any of us had said we would have players here like Wayne Bridge, Matthew Upson, Vicente
Times are changing at Brighton mate, we are not a little club anymore, and people need to stop thinking that way now.

I'd like your optimism, but it just isn't realistic.

He's out of contract in the summer, so will have his pick of many PL teams in the summer - with the added bonus that he'll pick up a fat signing on fee.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

so do their agents.

No chance whilst we are a Championship team.

A player wants to play at the highest level that they can and for as long as they possibly can and so joining a 2nd tier side when they can wait until the summer and probably join a PL club seems a wasted move and something that won't further their career.

If he were to join any Championship club in this transfer window, however well placed in the promotion race, there will always be that chance of failure and they miss out, leaving CA with the prospect of another season in this league, denting his future possible future earnings, profile and chance for honours (like playing for his country, especially as it's the Euro's this summer - go to the PL now, do well and he may make the plane there in the squad)

The only real chance i think we have of signing him is if we have already secured promotion when his contract expires in the summer, but even then, there is a chance he will turn us down for another PL team (one that's established or one that is / may challenge for European games, and so on...)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
No chance whilst we are a Championship team.

A player wants to play at the highest level that they can and for as long as they possibly can and so joining a 2nd tier side when they can wait until the summer and probably join a PL club seems a wasted move and something that won't further their career.

If he were to join any Championship club in this transfer window, however well placed in the promotion race, there will always be that chance of failure and they miss out, leaving CA with the prospect of another season in this league, denting his future possible future earnings, profile and chance for honours (like playing for his country, especially as it's the Euro's this summer - go to the PL now, do well and he may make the plane there in the squad)

The only real chance i think we have of signing him is if we have already secured promotion when his contract expires in the summer, but even then, there is a chance he will turn us down for another PL team (one that's established or one that is / may challenge for European games, and so on...)

Spot on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If i was the chancer who wrote that obviously laughable wind up tweet and happened to frequent NSC then i'd be writing this thread up as part of my media studies essay.
Probably would get a good mark for my GCSE.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
CA is exactly the sort of quality of player Albion as a club would be looking at, so why not buy him now and pay him the , lets say £35K to start with with goal bonuses and let him gel into the team this season and then if we go up then his wages can increase like every other player we have in our entire squads will.

According to the press, QPR offered him £60k a week last January to sign a new contract, so I can't see him being willing to move anywhere for just £35k.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
According to the press, QPR offered him £60k a week last January to sign a new contract, so I can't see him being willing to move anywhere for just £35k.

I agree but ya never know in this game

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011

How old is Austin ?

It's this dodgy knee thing with him that makes me wonder if PL teams want him though, saying that though is the bottom half of the PL any different from the top of the Championship ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here